3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which type predator are you ???  (Read 848 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Which type predator are you ???
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
While reading a "newly" acquired book by one of our very own, right here on Trad Gang. I was inspired to post this topic.

According to the author, there are basically three types of predator style hunters. They are,

1. Canine

2. Feline

3. Raptor

There can be at least a little bit of each of these in each one of us, but basically.....we fall into one or the other.

I have thought for years that people are influenced by whomever taught them the ropes of hunting, but the final decision as to what we are, is a choice that we make alone. While agreeing completely with the author, I had never quite looked at it in the light that he presented it in.

I will start.........

For me, I am primarily a Raptor. I am a sitter, I will carefully select my location to lay in wait.......stalk (feline) my way into it, then sit......and sit.......just waiting for something to come within the range that I am confident in making my strike from.

I am very much like a cat on my way to my stand, I move very slowly, cautiously, observing everything that is in both my path and surroundings. Every move has a purpose, a destination is my goal.

Upon arriving at my chosen "ambush" point, I situate my self in as comfortable of a position as I can. I immediately survey my surroundings, and determine what my "strike range" is. Then I wait, silently......with a purpose for my being exactly where I am, and an already determined goal in my heart.

As is true to my internet name on this and several other forums.......I am a Raptor, through and through.

What type of a hunter are you ???    :bigsmyl:  

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which type predator are you ???
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Well, I know I can't seem to sit long in any given spot, besides, it doesn't bode well for the type of hunting we have in my parts.

From the description above I'd go with the cat style, but you didn't give us an overview of what a dog hunts like. If it's pushing through the woods or something like that I'd guess I'd still resemble the cat more.

Interesting analogy.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Canine - I like to be actively hunting, moving, trying to make something happen. Type terrain I hunt is more suited to raptors but I can't stand it - cant stay in stand but so long.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Raptor! Just the other day I was on stand for 9 1/2hrs.  :knothead:    :help:  Sometimes I like to still hunt, but I still spend more time looking than moving.

Have a good friend that hunted with me a few times and said the only thing he saw move on me over the hours was my eyes.

:eek:    :eek:  

Raven
 >>>>------->

Offline oh-bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
RAptor and feline I also stalk my way to my stand check my striking distance.  What is the name of  the book.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
I guess that wasn't quite fair to not give at least......my......description of a canine and a feline.

A canine, to me.....would be someone that is an aggressive type hunter.....like a wolf, something that cannot stand to "wait" for something to happen. Instead, it would go out and "make" something happen, or at least make an effort to.

A feline, to me.......would be the ultimate stalker. If you have ever watched a big cat, or even a house cat stalk something, each and every move that a cat makes, has a purpose, that being to get closer to it's intended prey.

I also realize that the part of the country and the type of game that we each hunt will play a very important part in which type predator that we deem ourselves to be.

I just thought that it was a very well written chapter in the book, and as was intended by the author.......it provoked my feeble little mind to really think about the message that he was trying to convey.

Winterhawk1960

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
oh-bowhunter,

The name of the book is "Buckskin and Bone" by Gene Wensel.

I'm really trying to limit myself to just two chapters a night, then read them both twice. So's my thick skull might absorb MORE of what he is saying.

Winterhawk1960

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
I think of canine as one who actively hunts in groups/packs, those who perform drives.  Those who influence the direction of their prey to others in the pack who are in hiding or ambush.

My personality is feline, although I'm far from "ultimate".

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Raptor - have done numerous pre-dawn to dusk sits in the stand.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
why do think i have a name like HO'NEHE indian for brother wolf so i will go with wolf as i like to spot and stalk.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
Interesting.  I would prefer to move as a feline, but with the limited number of deer in our area it becomes frustrating, so as I speed up I bump game if I do run into some, so tend to be very feline in an aproach to stand then sit.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Well according to my brother who never kills anything im a son of a $%&&*, a mother %&$#@*,and an @$#hole type hunter. not sure what animal has these classifications...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
I've done all three.

Canine - Pushing deer through a funnel with an ambush ahead of them.

Raptor - Sitting perched in a tree stand, tripod or ground blind for hours waiting for unsuspecting game

Feline - Stalking and still hunting through thick, deep brush.

But I would have to say that feline is my favorite by far. I just feel a part of nature when I'm out in it and moving around.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
It depends on the animal I am hunting. Deer, I will sit in a spot. But rabbits, I have to move and scare them out from the brush. Around here, you have to do that or you return empty-handed.

One thing about Raptors. There's an exception. Harris Hawks hunt in packs.   :D
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Canine,

I spot and stalk and still hunt.  I never stand hunt.  So canine it is Blacktails and Roosevelt Elk do not lend themselves to stand hunting in most cases.

Since I added my wife to my hunting life, I am now the pusher of animals to the posted hunter.  So she would be feline lying in wait, while I am canine, searching for, finding, and pushing the prey to her ambush
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline droptine59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
Raptor, I can sit for hours and only move my head perhaps an inch. But when that buck shows up, you can bet i am like a cat in administering the death bow! LOL

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
Theres one they left out, and it applys to me. I,m mostly a hungry one. Can,t sit long enough, Blow my stalks most of the time, I,m am stubborn enough to usually win out though.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Great Blue Heron is my mentor.
I am usually a hungry little shorebird, though.

Killdeer   ;)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
I would have to call myself a combo of all three.

There is no doubt, that the raptor is by far the most successfull at taking game. The canine in me is what has taught me so much about the areas that I hunt.

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
i love to watch my cat / she has probably taught me more about hunting than any person
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©