3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Most difficult piece of the puzzle?  (Read 382 times)

Offline George Metz

• Trad Bowhunter
Most difficult piece of the puzzle?
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
My return to the bow is so frustrating. Near daily shooting from the late 70's thru 94 left my body and mind with near perfect memory of the shot. Can close my eyes and see it, feel it. It's beautiful! Unfortunately, my mind and body will not cooperate on the actual shot right now. Know it is only a matter of time, but was wondering if anyone else foolishly put down their bow for an extended period and if so what was the most difficult aspect of the shot to regain control over?
"one's belief is not required to validate the truth."

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most difficult piece of the puzzle?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
picking a spot and the actual release.  those were the two hardest for me to get used to.  especially when shooting at a deer.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
A clean release.  You need to just pull thru and not think about the release.  Just let it happen.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Staying relaxed throughout the shot and reducing tension.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
I know how you feel George. I haven't shot for almost 2 years. Had a lot of muscle and tendon strains to get healed up. Well, I've been shooting continuously for about 6 weeks. I find that I still don't have the bow muscles to do what my mind knows I can do. group starts out tight and then quickly goes awry. I figure it will take 3 to 6 months to get somewhere close to where I used to be. I'm just trying to not be so impatient that I hurt something else in the process
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Getting your confidence back.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
I put my bows down for almost 20 years while I was making money in a big city. The hardest thing for me going back to traditional archery was settling in to a consistent anchor point and getting to the level of concentration necessary to lose myself in the shot. By that I mean concentration that is so complete that self, ego and awareness disappear and there is only the trust in the physical part of the shot. I had the muscle memory, but I had to work for a year or more to get the psychological memory back. Nobody ever said traditional archery was easy.
Stay with it. Things will fall into place sooner or later.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
I put my bows down for 2 months, Feb and March. I need the mental break from hunting season since I bowhunt the month of January in Jersey.

I pick the bow up in April and prepare for spring Turkey, then put it down June/July when the bass and walleyes are biting. I look forward to not shooting every day, an escape from the mental aspect of making every shot count.

August rolls around and I start a slow process of warming up in the shop basement shooting 5 yds into my bag. Slowly working the form back...draw, anchor, pick a spot and clean release. I then make my outside practice fun and realistic. Shooting judos at leaves, stumps, birds and woodchucks.

I find shooting distance, like 40-60 yds at small objects makes me concentrate more. To me it makes those closer range shots easier. It's all mental.
By the time Mid September rolls around and CT and Jersey deer seasons are open, I'm both physically and mentally ready to kill. It's even better when my buddies and I make our annual spring bear hunt in Canada the first week of June.

I would say the most difficult part of regaining the "shot", making sure I'm at full draw and concentrating on my intended target. That changes however with repeated shooting sessions where I never put any pressure on myself to "10 Ring" everything.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©