3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Has anyone else missed a buck of a lifetime?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline JGoemaat

• Trad Bowhunter
Has anyone else missed a buck of a lifetime?
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
On thursday morning a huge buck...I mean a once in a lifetime, Iowa corn stalk devouring, never come out till the middle of the night, pass on a hundred bucks, dreaming about the one chance that might never come, monster buck, walked ten yards broadside passed me and I missed...ughhhhh! I just can't believe the events that transpired. I have hunted with stick and a string for two years without coming to full draw on a mature buck or doe. I felt like I had a rawhide stick in my gut.... it's really disappointing.

Has anyone else had similar experiences this year? If so I feel for you. I keep telling myself the low points are what make the high points so special.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has anyone else missed a buck of a lifetime?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
Not this year but in the early 70s I once bounced a Bear Razorhead out of a shoulder bone of a huge 12 pointer after watching him for an hour.  Shot was about 30 yards and he was walking.  Elevation was great but just an inch too far forward.

I never forgot that deer or shot either.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
Get over it,you only missed him once right.....

I missed mine 4 TIMES!!!!!!!!!! I flung every arrow in my quiver at him!!!!!!!!!!

:help:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline JGoemaat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
Woodchucker, I guess that does make me feel a little better  :)

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »
Last year I had a fine Louisiana 10 pt swamp buck come walking behind me while I was sitting in my climber about 18 ft in a cypress tree.  I am 57 and have been hunting with a trad bow only for 10 years; I've killed many deer but have never even come close to getting any buck like this one.  I stood and turned and took a 12 yard broadside shot at this, to me, trophy buck. Usually a "chip shot" for me.  But, when I shot the lower limb of my recurve hit the seat of my stand and threw the arrow way off.  Like you, I was sick.  But, that's bowhunting.  It's experiences like that which makes a successful shot so sweet. Don't let it discourage you, learn from your mistakes and just practice practice and practice so it don't happen again.  Now, part of my practice sessions in my back yard is I attach my stand to a tree just off the ground and I shoot at a target behind me!
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »
The good thing about hunting is that while it may seem like a once in a lifetime buck, there is always next time.

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 07:04:00 AM »
Which year we talkin' about?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »
Yes Sir, I've been there. 15 years ago. I won't go into all the details but I missed the nicest buck I had ever seen in the wild at 25 yards. I never saw him again and he probaly died of old age unless he was poached or not checked in at a checking station.
 I still have nightmares about that shot from time to time.   :banghead:

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
Oh yes...  I just wish I could say it was only ONCE!!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
I have a sliver of elk antler from a huge bull I emptied my quiver at some years back, and have memories of a couple of monster mulies that I scared as well. It all adds to the great feeling when you are successful.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 07:35:00 AM »
four times. I guess I need to clarify. I've had opportunities at four booners.

Missed one - nearly cut off my index finger two days before, and was trying to shoot 3 under which I don't normally do.

The other three were close, but no cigar type opportunities that I did NOT shoot at. They were missed opportunities, not missed shots. I don't FLING arrows at deer of that or any other caliber.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
Last year I missed him twice and this year once.

I quit!

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
1999 he was at 18 yards and I have no excuse I flat out choked!

He was an hones 180" 10 point and haunted my dreams for a long time........
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
One 350''+ herd bull 35 yrds,Booner black bear twice less than 10yrds,200''+ muley 25 yrds.I still can't pick a spot on a black bear!!!
All those shots still haunt my dreams

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
I have missed 2 big bucks over the years.They were both over 150".One of the bucks I missed on video!I hurts a bit at the time but it passes.It makes it that much sweeter when things work out.My dad ended up killing one of the bucks.It is the only big buck he has ever killed,so sometimes I think things happen for a reason.
Bill

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »
If I hit all the bruisers that I've missed over the years ....I'd be famous! It happens to everyone....just more often to me. Chin up...shoot straight!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
Well I haven't discriminated.  I've missed em big and small.  Missed the biggest elk, bear and deer I've ever shot at.  I'm going for the North American grand slam of missing only record book animals of all species.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
First of all, congratulations to each of you for having the ability to even see let alone have a shop opportunity at the animals that you've described.  I live in a part of the country that produces some locally big animals, but I've yet to see the heavy horned monsters that some of you post pictures of on a fairly consistent basis -- I am envious.

Years ago while I was hunting Ft Sill, OK, I was walking through a 1/2 mile field of knee-high grass on my way to a tree line that I wanted to hunt.  The wind was howling something fierce and I didn't think that the deer would be moving too much so I wanted to still hunt this long, thin patch of timber.  On my way across the field I walked past a small thicket that was no larger than a two car garage.  It appeared to be out of place because there was NOTHING around it for about 400 yards.  The wind was blowing hard enough that every branch of this tree oasis was whipping around, even so, something caught my eye.  When I looked it was a set of antlers that I will NEVER forget -- it was my deer of a lifetime.  I grew up in NE Ohio and saw my share of P/Y and BC bucks, but this deer almost took my breath away.  He didn't see me but he certainly knew that I was there because the wind was totally in his favor and he was nervous.  I knelt down and tried to figure out how to close the 40 yard distance that separated us when he nervously trotted away from me forever.  

I have sympathy for those that have had the opportunity to "miss" their once-in-a-lifetime deer, but I can't empathize with you because I have yet to have that chance.  

Best of luck to each of you and keep at it, I know that I sure will.

Scott

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
Michigan produces big bucks, some areas have more than others. Where I live, there are a few.
But they are rare, and they have seen it all. They make few mistakes.

I found a rub line on some private property I had permission to hunt, back in '98. It was obvious where this buck travelled, because he made rubs like you would have to see to believe.
By mid October, his pathways were clearly defined by a "connect the dots" series of rubs.

One still October evening, I finally picked the right tree. Slowly working his way toward me, I could see what he had been using to shred the trees in his path. Easily out past his ears, thick, perfectly formed, and carrying ten points.
Would be my best buck by far.

I couldn`t take my eyes off those antlers. As he approached my shooting lane, I eased back on the string of my Mamba recurve...locked on full draw as I concentrated on the spot to hit. At release, I can still see my arrow go high and left as it clattered it`s way through those beautifull white antlers. Somewhere between full draw and release, my gaze shifted from rib cage to antlers, and my bow arm automatically adjusted and put the arrow right where I was looking. I remember seeing chunks fly, and after a short half circle, he stopped. Through my binoculars, I could see he was missing some antler. Never found the pieces. I have seen that buck hundreds of times since, but only in my mind.  :D

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
I can't even talk about it.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©