3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Has anyone else missed a buck of a lifetime?  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has anyone else missed a buck of a lifetime?
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
:knothead:        :knothead:        :banghead:        :banghead:  I don't think I will ever get over it.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
I don't mean to change the nature of this thread but some of us do make that once in a lifetime shot. Rarely see big racked bucks in NH. However, after hunting this guy for four seasons and never seeing him until I shot him I have to say I didn't miss my buck of a life time. All I can remember about the shot was picking a spot and seeing yellow fletching disappearing precisely there. It was even done during the first week of firearms season....that 's why I 'm wearing orange in the pic. I never knew he was as big as he was. The shed I found of his the previous Spring would have made him an 8 pointer. He turned out to be an 11 carrying 152 7/8 inches when I shot him and he was a state bow kill record for 10 years. I shot him in 1990 and have not seen another like him since. If I do I hope to do as well as I did almost 20 years ago.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
....iv made a few big misses
once i was walking back to camp in South Africa when i saw a bushbuck a monster! bushbuck i stalked to 25yards and it had no idea i was there i proceeded to shoot right through the long hair on his mane that hung from his neck, i was so pummped just fell to my knees i knew i screwed up a very rare opportunity.

the other one i still think about almost everyday was not a miss but i wounded a Huge Warthog, he is to this day the biggest warthog iv seen alive and iv hunted a Lot of warthog, i know he would have prob been the biggest warthog taken with a bow in Namibia. dam that still makes me feel sick
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
yes!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline pharcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
lol funny you should mention it. I arrowed the buck of a lifetime in 2007 and it was oh so sweet. Then on Nov 11 I missed a buck that redefined the term buck of a lifetime for me. It shook me out of my game. He was a mainframe 10 with a cluster of 7"-9" browtines two 6"+ kickers and at least 15" g2 and g3's and prob 20" wide. I shot under him at 18 yards and in recolection I cant remember picking a spot. Such is life and at 34 I imagine it wont be my last chance at such a buck. I sure do wish I could have put him down!!
I am the man that I am because I am loved, because I know the value of family, and Christ remains at the center of my life.
45# 66 model Bear Super Kodiak
45# Browning Cobra1
55# Hoyt Gamemaster

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
Short answer: Yes! You'll get over it, just like I did. In about 30 years... cheers, Don

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Yep!! Two deer in the last five years, one a wild non-typical, one a long tine 8 point, both perfectlly over their backs. Gotta remember to pick a spot!!!!!
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »
Yep.  We called him "Bullwinkle" monster Indiana buck.  Corn and Soybean fed beast.  Hunted him for six years, got one shot on year 4.  He was a 14 point then.  Sneaking out early because I had finals at college.  I was just inside the woods and he was ghosting across a bean field and stopped in an open lane.  I thought 30 yards and let the wood Cedar go from my 65# Howatt, he was at 33 measured yards.  Cut hair behind his front leg but didn't break the skin.  Never saw him during the season again.  Saw him while scouting but not when I could take a shot.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline FrozenFew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2009, 02:39:00 AM »
I screwed up a shot at a deer pushin 180"  (would have been close to the ontario bow record)  the first year shooting a curve at three yards.  I went from pumped full of adrenalin to filled with anguish for a couple of nights.  actually now I'm kind of glad I didn't get him.. I have more vivid memories of the deer I miss than the the ones I get. Everytime I think of that or walk past that spot I smile thinking about that huge deer.  I choked on the next two biggest animals I have had a chance at this year alone both under 15 yards!  Sometimes its just not your time.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2009, 06:27:00 AM »
I never got to draw on mine but I did get him on film. Maybe BL productions will stick him in there next DVD. I still puke every time I think of him!!

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
Well not the buck of a lifetime. But I missed a nice 8 pointer earlier this season. He came in to a scrape on the other side  of a fieldstone wall and deadfall where I set up a natural ground blind. He came in I stood up at fall draw, he just stood there straight on looking it me. Because of another deadfall between us and the scrap there was just about enough of the  lower body line of the buck available for a heart shot. His neck was in full view and  unobstructed, but there was no way I was going to shoot this animal in the neck! So I tried to thread the heart shot. And all I heard was that dreadful Hammer sound of the broadhead go WHACK!!!      :saywhat:
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Yeah, I've missed 3 really nice ones with the bow. As a youngster, I missed a realy HUGE buck. That was when I still using the rifle. Later, because of that miss, I became a good rifle shot. Now, I am still struggling to become a better archer and woodsman.Sometimes the misses make more lasting memories than the kills.
Sam

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
I havent had a "Lifetime" buck in front of me this year, just 120-140" 8's and 10's, last year I had a Giant right in front of me at 20yds, nothing between me and him but a grass field, he wouldnt turn to give me a shot, just head on. When he did turn it was a turn and leap at the same time, I'd say he was as close to 200" as I have ever seen while hunting. Although I didnt shoot, it sure felt like a miss!

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
There's an old Indian saying about shooting at an deer: "When you loose an arrow at the deer, shoot for the heart. Always, the heart!"

I've always followed that advice seeing that the majority of my off shots are usually high.  Usually to the tune of probably 99% of them. I NEVER shoot low!

Well, I did shoot low exactly ONCE. And as I'm sure you figured, it was at the animal of a lifetime.  Twenty-five yard shot at a 370-390" elk in New Mexico two years ago. Shaved the hair off the bottom of his brisket as he stepped forward giving me "the heart."

My new wisdom: Shoot for the TOP of the heart!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
This being my first year to hunt with a stickbow i would have to say the 115 class 8 pointer i missed at 10 yds opening day this year. I have missed some bigger bucks with a compound and rifle but man oh man did i want that buck. First shot i ever took at a live animal with my recurve. 2 weekes later i shot and killed a great 8 that looked identical to the one i missed. Lesson learned never give up and keep on practicing.  :thumbsup:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
One in Ohio in 1975 at 20 yards....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
Man my pain is fresh an sore I missed a 10 pt. 20" spread yesterday morning.the bigest buck Ive ever seen hunting.he was under me for 5 min. before I could get a shot.I have killed a lot of deer all types of ways been huntin trad for about 5 yrs. Ihave progressed every year.With this year being my best.however this year has been filled with heart break. I missed a real nice sika stag as well.they say you learn from your mistakes I sure hope THEY are right.I missed both deer at 10yds.It sure aint the bow. its the man behind it .These horrifing expearance make me want to reach deeper into my self an pull out whatever it is that I not gettin.find it .fix it . an fine tune it.I see the pictures of all the big bucks on this web site an I know those hunters have walked down the same road I am walking down now.

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
you guys are all making me feel much better, havn't missed a true giant, but i did miss a 140'' 10 point this year at 10 yards, i have about fifty excuses i would like to use but really i just missed.
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
I shot under a mid 150's 8pt.  I live in Arkansas, that is a monster around here.  He was only about 16" wide, but he was tall and massive.  I can still see the flight of that arrow.  Oh well, clean miss.  I have seen larger bucks, but never got a shot.  That one hurt.  :banghead:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline IDABOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
It's only a "buck of a lifetime" if your life is over.
Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©