3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone Use or Try the G5 MONTEC Broadheads??  (Read 694 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone Use or Try the G5 MONTEC Broadheads??
« on: November 21, 2009, 01:49:00 AM »
Hey all,

I am trying to decide on what heads to use for HOGS and remember a few of my Wheel Bow Buddies raving about the G5 MONTEC 125 grain broadheads.  I have looked at them before but never handled or shot them.  I also haven't seen much mention of them at all in the TRAD Shooters hangouts.  SO I thought I would ask.

I am shooting a 46 pound recurve and would be wanting the 125 grain heads.  I would like to hear your thoughts on these heads, both positive and negative.  If you do use them, how do you think they would work on hogs?

If you have other broadhead recommendations I would like to hear those as well.

Thanks for your help and time.

Nalajr

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone Use or Try the G5 MONTEC Broadheads??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 02:13:00 AM »
I haven't used them, but they are a favourite of Tommo, who has slain quite a few pigs with them out of his Black Widow recurve. His is 65#, though.

There are pigs, and there are monster pigs. I think your set-up would do the job fine on smallish pigs that might be the perfect size for you to eat, and in reality are the most commonly-encountered. I would argue against using your set-up for the monster pigs.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 02:16:00 AM »
To make the most of your poundage, and in case you encounter a larger pig, it might be worthwhile going for a two-blade broadhead; if not a two-blade broadhead, then perhaps a Woodsman, with its more acute angle.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 03:22:00 AM »
hello, i'm using a 52 pounds recurve and i hunt wild boar in the french Alps ... i use already once a Muzzy MX3 on a heavy arrow with a 55 pounds predator recurve to kill a 35 kilos "sanglier" , the hit was in a soft spot and every thing was OK ...

Following advice from old friends now i 'm using only twoblades brodheads or  Woodsman on wild boar with good results and pass-trough .

With 46 pounds bow you should do the same especially if you are lucky enough to encouter a 100 pounds + wild boar, those guy have big bones and a big skin to !!!

you should follow the advice of Ben above !
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
They are a good head IMO. One piece, cut on contact & easy to sharpen.
I killed the pig in my avatar with one, A pass through from a #60@ my draw Super Shrew.They're all my son uses & he loves them, but he shoots bows between #80 & #95 & heavy front wieghted arows.
However as Ben noted above, they're a 'short' head & the angle of the blade is steep. With a lower weight bow a good razor sharp two blade head would probably serve you better.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
I just shot a deer last night with one.  I was using an RER vortex longbow that is around 59# at my draw length.  It was a pass through that took out both lungs, a small piece of liver, and the big vessels at the top of the heart.  I can't complain about the penetration, but the blood trail left something to be desired.  I guess you can't draw too many conclusions from one shot, but If that is all the blood trail that I'm getting I'm probably gonna save the montec for squirrels.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
I used them to take a buck a few years back, he was quartering away I hit the opposite shoulder no pass threw. While tracking the buck I found my arrow the tip of the Montec was broke off and I never used them again.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
I don't want to say they're a bad broadhead, just not a good broadhead.  When there's so many good broadheads, why choose something that has "high shoulders".  Hill said a 3 to 1 ratio was the best for penatration, why would you choose something that approaches 1 to 1.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
I have used them and they are really good heads, but I prefer the woodsmans now over the g5s because of the mechanical advantage and the price is better and they have a lifetime warranty.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
I used the montec's since I swithced to carbons this year. I like them seem to touch up real nice on a file. Cost is high just for 3, I think there worth the cost plus the stainless steel is an added bonus, nice strong point too. Now mind you I'm just whitetail hunt'en, don't no much about hogs. Hope this helps.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
I've killed deer and elk with Montecs and a wheel bow. I could never get them a s sharp as a single blade. I don't know how they work at trad speeds?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
I have used them on pigs, 55#-65# longbow.  They killed pigs.  I never lost a pig but I never got a pass through, either.  Bill

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
I hear alot of guys complaining about getting them hunt sharp. One of my buddies uses the snuffer tamer system and tells me he has good results. Lots of heads to choose from.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
always gave me a horrible blood trail

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
MY experience with them.YMMV-

The only one piece BH I've ever seen breakoff a blade in a 3d target.I also hit a tree limb with one and broke it right behind the ferrule.The SG heads have broke as well in different spots.I'd never buy any G5 anything ever again.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline CaptJack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Partners TD / Quinn Stallion

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
I kileed my first deer with one and i am very happy with there performance.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
I tried them this fall and didn't care for them at all.  The 6 I have are now in my "junk" box and will not see the light of day again. Dreadfully dull out-of-the-box and harder than heck to sharpen unless you have a loose definition of sharp... and I tried the carbon steel model that is reputed to be 25% sharper than the stainless model, and easier to sharpen.

The customer reviews on Cabelas.com are instructive.  Compare them to Thunderheads, for example.

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
I shot a large spike whitetail with one when they first came out. At the time I was shooting about 53# and it was a complete pass through, with the deer collapsing in under 50 yards. Having said that, I have dropped in weight to 42-46# and I think that most will agree that a 2-bladed  broadhead is a better choice for lower poundage bows. With a 10-12gpi shaft and a 125g 2-blade, hit it right and you will have a clean kill (and a good bloodtrail) every time. I am thinking the Woodsmans might be OK if you want to use a 3-blade. Less acute angle for penetration. PS I had no trouble sharpening the G5s with a flat diamond stone.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
i have a few and killed a deer last year with it went threw te thickest part of his shoulder and he went 45 yds i then in the spring killed a pig with one and tore it all to hell bent broke you name it did it but it left good blood trails and i am all in all very pleased with it good head to hunt with you might also look at grizzleys they are great heads as well

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©