3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Middle finger went numb  (Read 1059 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
Middle finger went numb
« on: April 09, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
The lower half of my middle finger from the tip back to the first knuckle has been numb for a couple weeks. I shoot 3 under and really don't put any pressure on the ring finger. I have been using a big shot glove and have tried a tab but didn't care for it. I ordered a super glove but I have to send it back its way to big.

Anybody have this same problem? What did you do to fix it?

Thanks
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Middle finger went numb
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
If your finger has been numb for a couple of weeks there is something wrong.  I would suggest seeing a doctor, although I am pretty sure that they are going to tell you that there is nothing they can give you.  As a Dr. of Chinese medicine I can tell you that acupuncture has good results with things like that but I would look for the root of you problem in your elbow/form of release.  If you are still shooting consistantly, stop. I know that isn't what you want to hear but if you have done some damage it is important to give your body some time to heal.  I would suggest a good linament onto the elbow, forearm, and wrist and massage the heck out of them with a lot of pressure.  Other than that take a look at your form, and make sure that your elbow and wrist are straight (and by that I mean that they are in-line) when you have tension on the bow, if your bow is too heavy and you have to compansate by compramising your form you could hurt yourself.  Make sure that you are not "over bowed".  Good Luck Allan

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
I understand the numbness you are talking about.  I am getting it in my ring finger of my pulling hand.  It is where the tension from the string is.  I use a tab, but am going to try a glove.  I just don't think the tab was stiff enough for me.  I am not feeling it anywhere else except there.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
dposalski Its exactly what you said. Its Where the tension of the string is agains't the finger. I realized today I was not using my ring finger at all. I think I was also pulling more with the middle finger instead of the index finger.

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
Minor nerve damage more than likely, kinda like an impact shot to the jaw, it jolts the nerve and tears at the sheathing around the nerve when you loose the arrow , try building your serving up in that area to spread the pressure of the string against your finger over a larger area...the feeling comes back when you have the cushion in the right spot ,, hopefully,, both of mine have!!!
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
swelling can put pressure on nurves and make them do that. Remove the swelling (and the cause)and it will go back to normal in a few weeks. If it's really nurve damage that can take 6 to 8 months to heal. Go see a doctor to make sure you take the right course of action.

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
My middle finger on my pulling hand is doing the same thing. Feels like the pad of the finger is asleep when I touch something with it. I think my glove, Berlin, has gotten pretty soft and may not be protecting the fingers as much as it once did. Ordered a new Skookem glove and tried it today. Nice glove, but not sure if it's going to protect the fingers much more than the Berlin. Might try an American leathers glove. Have heard alot of good things about those. I think it's just a matter of protecting the fingers. The asleep feeling will probably go away in a couple of weeks.

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
TJ I have the american leathers big shot and the edge of the nylon rides right on the tender spot. But that probably has to do with bad form on my part.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 02:21:00 AM »
The numbness is from the string pressure being located in that one spot right at the crease of the joint. For whatever reason, you are hooking that finger around the string and the others are probably just sitting there doing nothing. It will never go away unless you make the proper adjustments to your form.  A thicker glove or tab may lessen the problem initially, but pretty soon you'll smash the leather or nylon down and it will return.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Matthew D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »
Molson is correct about changing your form, I had the same thing going on, switched to a tab from a glove, then took a real effort to make sure that I was placing my fingers correctly. Not have the numbness now but I am still working on getting my form correct

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
I had that Problem Waaaaaaaaaay Back, and I got a Thicker Tab, and All was Well once again!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
Glue a piece of leather in the finger of the glove or in the tab-works for me.

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
You could do what I did and cut the tip of your finger almost off. Middle finger of my bow hand and though the bone.(matchete) Mike

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
Bjorn I did just that last night and am going to try it today.

Mike I will pass on your idea  :)

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Well the good news is I did this in January and my finger tip healed up good. I can shoot my long bow without any problems. Its still tender around where the stiches were. I guess the bone fused back together. The tip feels like its part of the finger again. Mike

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Lots of good advice. Also remember to hold that middle finger up while driving or walking around. It is important to keep it elevated. ;^)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Tree man its important to say "my finger hurts" when holding it up in the presents of others  :)

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
Tree man, "hold that middle finger up while driving or walking around"  HA HA. That might lead to some other problems.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
rest REST rest////////that is the answer
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline MMilin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
I use a BW tab which is quite thick.  And, I wrap the tip of my middle finger --- twice around --- with a 3M tape that's "spongy" and comes on a roll . . . I forget its name.

Problem went away.  Shooting is better.

Mark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©