3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunters orange  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunters orange
« on: November 21, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Here in Michigan we are in the midst of our firearms season. Orange is required, regardless of weapon.

This evening, I was about to draw on some more "fast food", when I was spotted, and the deal was over. I believe my orange vest was to blame. Maybe, they see it as white, but, by the reaction I saw this evening, they certainly see it. (I was on the ground, but hidden to a good degree)

Not a question I guess, just an observation.

Tommorrow, I use the climber.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunters orange
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Anytime I use orange(Not required here in VT,in other states I hunt like Maine and NH) I prefer the blaze camo.At least there's somethng to breakup the solid color.

I'd say it caught your movement as I've had deer right next to me while in orange as have others.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Had that trouble a couple years back,bought an orange fleece starter jacket and cut the sleeves off. FIXED!

I think the slick surface of most orange is the trouble JMHO
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
I wear a cheap orange mesh vest.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
Blaze orange camo----have to wear here during all gun seasons.  

Have never been picked up while wearing it--including today during the youth season. I had multiple deer in my area and 2 that looked towards me after winding me, but none appeared to have noticed me.

I think the solid blaze would be like any other solid color---a large blob of un-naturalness. Also, try treating it and washing it with anti-UV treatment and sportswash---deer might be picking up the UV brighteners that are probably in it.
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 12:44:00 AM »
i don't hunt well enough to tell the diference / i stumble along / break sticks / crush leaves / get the wind shift all wrong ------- sometimes i wish i was my cat ------ she kills nearly every day
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
Reguardless if it's a detriment or not please always wear the blaze when hunting during firearms season. You never know who else is out there. Done had one buddy shot and heard about too many close calls...  

IMHO I don't think it's a problem, been hunting with blaze for years during the appropiate seasons and killed a bunch of deer while doing so. I honestly don't think I've ever been spotted because of the orange...

Let's be safe out there!!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 04:36:00 AM »
I when required use the orange camo
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 05:14:00 AM »
Blaze camo fleece in my opion is the answer. No reflection or noise.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »
We don't have to wear it but you would have to be nuts not too. No deer is worth a life.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 06:20:00 AM »
Blaze camo is not legal in Virginia, which is a shame, as I have a coverall in that. I wear solid blaze when required. I think the problem, at least with deer, is the expanse of solid color with no breakup of shape. Fortunately, here, all that is required is a hat, and you my hang it from a limb if you are sitting within arm's reach. So, I hang my orange 'scent wick' and sit still, hoping the wind stays steady.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 06:22:00 AM »
In CT we have to wear it to the stand only then we can shuck it. Even when gun bangen I wear the camo orange just feels better!!

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
I remember the days when we didn't have blaze orange. We didn't kill any more people than we do now. A fool who shoots at sound or movement, doesn't look for anything but an animal.
I believe the real purpose of orange, is so the Wardens know who is hunting and they can wait by your truck.
If it was for safety, Hikers, loggers, Game wardens, and anybody else in the woods during season would be required to wear it.
There is nothing more strange than a man in full camoflage, wearing a blaze orange hat.
This is all just my opinion, and an old fart's rant.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
This is based on nothing but personal opinion and my on observations, but I agree with a previous poster about the importance of the material.  Currently wearing an orange fleece vest and haven't seem to have had any problems with them spotting me (well, not because of the vest - they still catch me moving when I should be still).

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
I feel for you Bonebuster I grew up in Michigan and hunted not far from you, I would not go in the woods on Public land during Gun season there without an orange coat, and hat, two many hunters with no knowkedge of deer, I got busted by deer also but it beats being shot, for you others, You have to have hunted in Michigan on Opening day of gun season to apreciate what a mess it can be

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
I've had deer walk right by me at very close distances while wearing blaze orange, I've also had them pick me out of ground blinds that were bushed in very well and I was in head-to-toe camo including a face mask and gloves at distances that exceeded my effective range.

We 'feel' different when we wear orange because it is so obvious to us but we don't see the world like a deer does -- we probably don't see the world like each other for that matter.

I think that other conditions occur and it is convenient to accept the blame for the 'orange' instead of our movement, scent, or other factors.  Are your bow limbs glossy?  What direction did the deer come from in relation to the wind conditions?  Were you outlined with the sun?  

I don't mind wearing blaze orange, actually I think that I hunt "harder" while I'm wearing it because I think that I stand out more even though I may not be standing out more.  Hope that this makes sense?

Scott

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
Not long ago, I read somewhere that deer percieve the orange more or less like brown. It is required during the rifle season, even for bowhunters. In the last couple of months I have had two deer come in at 15 yards or less and look intensely in my direction. I knew I was not going to try to take the shots, so I simply sat very still. They looked right through me and never showed any alarm - that is until the breeze shifted. Sorry, Bonebuster, but I think you probably got busted by movement.
Sam

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
Here in IL we cant bow hunt during the gun weekends so we dont have worry about the orange. Its also illegal to wear the orange camo for some reason.....Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
I wear Red and Black plaid when bowhunting during the gun season here in NY and CT.

However, where required, I would opt for the blaze orange where its broken up with black, not the solid. The other option is a mesh blaze orange vest over Camouflage.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Here in MS, the law states that the orange must be unbroken. Camo orange is illegal, and I've been told it even extends to mesh.

John, I respectfully disagree. Orange does save lives. As for loggers, hikers, etc., they are foolish to enter the woods without it in gun season, but there's no basis for regulating the general public like that, and shouldn't be. We have enough laws. And in my woods, the Game Wardens are the good guys.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©