3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunters orange  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunters orange
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
I hunted in Michigan before hunter orange laws; and after; and while I am sure some people didn't get shot because of hunter orange; some of the cases I saw when people did - orange did not help them.
 For instance: one guy climbed to the top of a huge oak tree; so that he could ( as he told his friends) see where the deer were moving.
 He was shot from his lofty lookout by a guy who saw the movement; and figured he had found where the deer were hiding.
 You cannot fix stupid. You cannot fix stupid with an orange vest.

I hated gun season ( you can use your bow in gun season there) because the woods looked like a pumpkin patch; and it just looked like a bunch of people that had their mothers permission to hunt as long as they wore a bright color. Kind of like with BB guns : " you'll shoot your eye out!" unless you wear orange of course!

I dread the day when someone comes to the 'logical conclusion' that we need orange in bow season. It will be due to one person doing something outrageously stupid. Just like with gun hunting.

And I think Nail Nailed it again- it makes hunters easier to spot for fish and game officers.

Perhaps in these modern times a flashing light on our heads; and gps monitors on all hunters would really make the woods safe. [sic]

I personally have found I am better off wearing camo and hiding from other hunters; than wearing orange and being the target of 'hunters' tired of not getting a shot at something. And that happens.

Deer were once trained to eat out of an orange bucket among other different color buckets; even when the order of them was changed around. There may have been a flaw in that study- but deer do see some colors; and certainly if your glowing with ultra violet - they will see you. But too: deer WILL sneak by hunters in orange or not- or walk by hunters hoping they won't be spotted themselves.

I am sticking to stick season - I hate orange baby sitting suits.    :readit:    :saywhat:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
twain said better to be safe a thousand times over dead once
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
I have to admit, Like Joe Skipp I'm part of the Red&Black plaid crowd.

Here in NY orange isn't required which I believe is a good thing. (bracing for a slapping now)  :knothead:

There have been incidents over the years where orange WAS required,and the hunter said that he shot because "he didn't see any orange" so he assumed it wasn't another hunter and it was safe to shoot.

I have been wearing Red&Black plaid for well over 30 years. Untill they change the law(or I die first)I'll continue to do so.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
most of my time is sitting looking stupid / i'm all about plaid hunting gear - but in rifle seson when you can shoot further than you can see i think orange is good idea

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
One of the main reasons for the orange requirement in Michigan is the sheer number of gun season hunters. in 2007 there were over 724,000. its not so much someone mistaking you for a deer as having them not see you 200 yards behind the deer they are shooting at. the hunter density there is just over 7 per sq mile and thats before subtracting the area that cities take up. Dont get me wrong Michigan, especially the north is a sportmans paradise. but on opening day of gun season you really want to be seen instead of blending in.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
It wasn't my intention to start a debate, and I certainly don't mean to denigrate any officer, but I firmly believe that it isn't about safety for the above mentioned reasons. I wear it, I just don't like it. Maybe the deer don't see it, but bluejays, turkeys, and squirrels sure do. They mess up more of my stalks than anything. Being a ground hunter, I ooze around until I spot a deer and then try to sneak on him.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
I formed the opinion some time back that at least some hunting "accidents" are a convenient and relatively safe way to commit murder. Like the two guys who were shot in a canoe, both wearing orange, from a highway bridge. The shooter got off, claiming "hunting accident". He knew them. Happened in SC while I lived there, in the late '70's.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
LMAO!!!!! Had one like that here in NY a few years back Don.....

First day of gun season,this guy shot his brother in-law out of a tree.He said he thought the guy was a turkey.(Turkey Season was closed BTW)

Things went relativly(no pun intended)smooth untill the State Troopers went to the guys sister's house to notify her that her husband had been killed.

She opened the door with a broken nose and 2 black eyes!!!!!  :eek:

It didn't take long for them to arrest him.....

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
We've had a couple nasty hunting accident here during elk season. We don't have a blaze orange law in gun season, though I'm not sure if it would have saved these two guys. One guy caught a .300WinMag to the chest, died on spot. Shot by a family member. Another caught I think it was a 8mm RemMag to the chest and the poor guy lingered for months before finally dying. Firearm elk season is SCARY in the woods here with all the "Gotta get a BIG RACK!!!" hype and hysteria. Geez, people, it's just a lot of fancy compressed hair---get over it! How about the MEAT????
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
In CT they don't wait by your truck. They come right in the woods up to you. I've seen it happen to a bud of mine. He said he got a complaint thats why he went in the woods up to him?!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
I had a good friend of mine who was a N.Y.S.D.E.C. Officer

Every time I would see him during Deer Season I'd ask,"Hi Jeff,been out running around in the woods today??? His response.....

"I don't go in the WOODS, There's idiots with guns out there!!!  :scared:

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
A much better outcome than taking a bullet from a...well I can't say it on here.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
No Orange was required in Minnesota in 1964 when 36 hunters were killed. To say we do not kill more now than then is false. The fact is that hunters wearing Blaze orange are still being shot, but at a much lower rate. And there is no reason that a law abiding hunter should worry about the warden seeing them.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
I would not enter the woods during our firearms season WITHOUT wearing orange. Truth be known, I just do not like to hunt at this time because there are too many people out there that do just plain stupid things.

I have had times when I believe deer spotted me more easily because of orange, and  :D   in this instance, I was all prepared, bow resting on my boot as I was kneeling with one knee on the ground. I could hear the deer approaching, and was ready long before I could even see them.
When they got close, I did not move a muscle.
From the angle, I was not fully exposed. She spotted me easily, and did not hesitate and wonder what she was looking at. I believe my orange vest was to blame.

So be it. Late season is fast approaching, and it will be only the die hards left in search of late season burger.

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »
Fallguy,
You don't know the wardens around here. They almost seem to be "antis" the way they confront you. They are no more than revenue collectors here and take pride in writeing fines.
I "worry" about seeing them because they completly ruin your hunt for the day.I know, I know, not all are like I describe but I've nver met one of the "good ones" in all my years hunting.
Just my opinion.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
I posted a query about bow hunting during gun season on another thread....after reading the comments in this thread, there is no way in hell I'm going out there. I'll wait for winter season and hunt with some peace of mind.

I too dread the day when bowhunters are forced to wear blaze orange during bow season...I see it coming, and I hate it.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
Most of the local wardens are my friends, but we have had a couple of bad apples, who did unreasonable things. They acted like Gestapo. I knew their supervisor, and helped to get rid of them. I don't know if they were moved somewhere else or fired. They harassed people for no reason, including me, but I didn't let it sour me on the whole bunch. They're just people too, and I'm sure they catch much hell from some "sportsmen".

You might want to be on good terms with the local wardens, when you find poachers or illegal baiting on your property like I did, a couple of times. My local warden went out of his way to try to catch the neighbor who baited my property in turkey season, which meant I couldn't legally hunt my own place because of it. He walked in a half mile and hid before daylight several times before the guy came back. Haven't had any trouble from the neighbor since, either.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
JCT, The good ones here are hunters like you and I. The bad ones avoid getting there boots dirty like the plague. So they never get off the road far enough to find me. I have only been checked 2 times in 30 years
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
i never had a policeman ever try to help me /or have i ever seen a game warden ever try to protect our natual resorces/ their total job is to revenue collect or just lord over you with a pistol/

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
"Wear Blaze To LIVE And Hunt Another Day!!" The Wiseman that taught my Hunters Safety Course MANY Moons ago said that, and its Stuck with me since I was 11 or 12. Mr. Gooding was a Very Wise Man.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©