3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Interested in a Hill longbow  (Read 645 times)

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Interested in a Hill longbow
« on: November 22, 2009, 03:46:00 AM »
Okay, don't really have the money but...

I'm kinda thinking about a real traditional style longbow and I'm wondering about the Hill bows.  Namely the Wesley Special but maybe some of the other models.

I know, a bunch of guys talk about lots of ahnd shock and a bunch of other guys talk about no shock if ya hold it right.  I'm willing to find out for myself and honestly, a bit of a thump in my hand at the shot has never bothered me.

I'm currently shooting a 66" highly reflex deflexed longbow and really like it.  So why look at a new bow?  Well, 'cause I can.  Might not buy, but I'm a gonna look!

The kicker...

I pull about 32".  Maybe a tad more if I stretch out, a tad less if I'm bulked up (clothing) or shooting more casually.   But at LEAST 31.5" and I like a bow about 60 to 65 at my draw.

Who has one of the Wesley Specials and do you have some pictures?  Have any of you done the bow blanks?  How far along are they?

Thanks.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline jbuck9

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Interested in a Hill longbow
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 03:54:00 AM »
With you draw I would go with a 68 or better yet a 70" in a Hill bow.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 04:54:00 AM »
I draw 29" to 29.5" with my 70" Wesley Special. I love it! Craig would even make you a 72" bow, just to be on the safe side and for comfort. If you do a search for "Wesley Special", you'll find some of my photos, as well as plenty of others. All the best, and go for it!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 06:02:00 AM »
Check out  www.howardhillshooters.com.  There is a lot of good info about HH bows such as bow length, brace height, proper grip, and even a picture showcase. If you hold the bow right, then the shock is more of a "pleasant thump" as it has been described.
Good Luck,
Bic

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
Hey Dave,
Mike at the Nocking Point had some used Hill style bows on the rack. Ya might give him a call...
Paul

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
My 66" 60@29 Halfbreed kicked the snot out of my arm for the first couple of weeks - then I learned to hold it correctly.  I can honestly say I don't notice a bit of shock when I shoot it now.

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Dave, I am in the same situation. I really want to try a classic "D" shaped bow. My son finally decided he wants to shoot with me so I am hoping to order he and myself a pair. I was lucky enough to purchase a limited edition Hill about a year or so ago. It was nice and heavy weight, probably close to 100# for me ! But I think it was definitely to short for my 30" draw. It was a 66" bow. If I am able to order a pair for my son and I, I believe I will go with at least a 68" or maybe even 70" as Ben said.
howardhillshooters is a great site for info. too.
Good luck in your search !

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
I have a Jerry Hill, never heard to much good about them but I really like mine. 50# @ 28", I draw 29", its 68" long. The bow is smooth and casts an arrow as well as any I have shot. I have thought about one of the "u" finish kits also. looks like you have to just finish the shelf and handel. Every time I go to the Hill web site I get the bug to get one but have not done it yet. Has far as hand shock goes, I get just a gentle thump, not bothersome at all.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
I also have a 66" Halfbreed. However, handshock has never been a problem. If tuned to the correct brace height and held properly.. there is no handshock.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
I have a Wesley  at 65# at 28" draw. It is 68" long. Handshock is not a problem for me. Hold it firmly on the heel of your hand and tune it well. Heavy arrows and proper brace height are essential.I love mine and would like to own a couple more. To me, it draws smoothly and is just plain fun to shoot. You didn't say what type of arrows you prefer, but if you get the Hill, at least give wooden aroows a try. In my opinin, they are a natural match for the bow. You will also enjoy dealing with the folks at Howard Hill Archery.
Sam

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Here's a couple Wesley's (two in the middle), a Tembo (left), and a glass backed Pete George. Like others have said the handshock is a non-issue with me, especially with D-97 onboard! The 68" is going to be quicker while the 70" will be smoother for your draw, you just have to decide which you want more. If you have some used ones to shoot in those lengths close by then I highly recommend you do that before you decide. To me the Wesley and Big 5 perform best at the weights your looking at, but others have their own preferences. I also like the laminated bamboo with the carbon back, but then again that's just me. I do know one thing though, once you learn the Hill bow there's no going back, and you can never have enough of them!  :thumbsup:  

Ken

Tembo strung.

Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

Right now, it's mainly wishful thinking and I'm just in the "research mode".  I'd like a bunch of opinions from first hand experience like you guys are giving.  That way, if I ever have sort of a "cash windfall" or find a great deal on one, I'll be ready to jump.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
Dave.... you've  been getting good advice.   Normally I tell folks not to worry about the extra lam in the Wesley unless they're going for heavy weight, like 60 and up (why on earth would you?) or have an extra long draw.   I shoot light weights and have a short draw and I actually prefer other models.  You definitely fall into the long draw category and as someone mentioned, I'd talk to Craig about a 72" Wesley.    Shooting a bow that's long enough in relation to your draw is half the secret of real longbows.    There are several other halves, but with a draw over 30", that's the one I'd consider most important.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
I had always heard of the handshock with Hill bows,thats why I never really tried one.But I traded for one,I guess some feel handshock more then others.I never really noticed any handshock in mine.I shoot a padded loop D97 in mine.Hill bows can be addictive,I really enjoy shooting mine and love the D-shape.

Offline Romans3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
I shoot a hill big five exclusively. I LOVE IT. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about getting an extra long bow. I actually shoot a 64 inch hill bow (I think it's the shortest he makes) and it's smooth as butter all the way. I draw it to 28 or just a little past if I stretch out.
"conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ" Phil. 2:27

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
i've owned quite a few hill longbows, from the owl to the big 5 to the wesley special.  very nostalgic longbow that has that classic 'D' braced reflex limb shape.

however, i get that same nostalgia and 'D' mild r/d limb brace shape with a mohawk longbow, and noticeably better performance while retaining all that straight limbed longbow stability.  plus, the handle shape is more forgiving than those fat, bulky hills.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
I just picked up a Wesley used about a week ago. A 66" bow. I pull it to 29+ inches and it feels really smooth to me.

I'm shooting about a 550 grain arrow and I don't notice any handshock. But that's just my opinion.

This one is 46@28 which put me right on 50 pounds at my draw. In this poundage of a bow that fifth lam is so thin that it would look better in a different wood as an accent stripe. If I were to order a new one, I may just go with a Big Five and save the $25.00.

But she shoots real nice and I enjoy it. I personally do not think that you would be sorry. Good luck in your search.......  :thumbsup:

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
i've had over a dozen Hill bows and a dozen or more from other makers . i am a fan of the longer bow and at your draw i would recommend a 72" . hndshock always comes up as an issue when discussing Hill style bows . they tend to be all i shoot [ aside from some ILF 'curve i play with ] . handshock can be addressed in many ways , most of which are addressed on this site if you use your search button . some people just don't like them for whatever reason . But for us straight limb shooters ...well they simply rule the roost !!! and i attribute my success afield in part to these forgiving , lightweight and accurate bows !!!
any queries give me a pm .

cheers

ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
I have 2 Wesleys, a Big 5, and a Cheetah. All of these bows have bamboo cores, and are 68" models because I too pull about 31". I love them, and find that the handshock isn't there in the Wesleys, or any of the bamboo core models. I haven't shot the yew, locust, or osage core models, just the boo core models. I must warn you though sir, they can be addictive! Craig at Hill Archery is a great source, as is the Howard Hill Longbowmen sight.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
I have a Tembo 66" 57#@27" that I finished from a blank.  It has the carbon lam under black glass on the back and clear glass on the belly.  It shoots a 670 grain 30%EFOC arrow 154 fps. I have shot alot of different longbows and own a dozen or so, but I always seem to reach for the HH. I've owned a couple of other Hills, but this Tembo is definitely the smoothest and fastest.  I wouldn't feel the least bit handicapped if it was the only bow I owned. I personally like a straight grip, but if you get the blank you can shape the handle to your personal preference.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©