3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bison Hunting  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Joe Hysong

• Trad Bowhunter
Bison Hunting
« on: November 22, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
I am getting ready for a Bufallo Hunt in Texas they say the bulls are 1200-1400 lbs.  My set up is a 60# Longbow I am shooting Traditional Only 400 Carbons with 125 grain Woodsman Elite Broadheads.  I am looking for any recomendations that you guys have. I won't take a shot outside of 25 yds.
Joe Hysong
Tomahawk Diamond Thunderstorm #60
Acts 10:13 Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bison Hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
recommendations? I recommend you bring me some meat.

have a great time. I'd love to do that hunt.
Romans 8:28

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Study the anatomy of the bison.  The kill zone is tighter then you would think with an animal of that size.  Do a search on Buffalo and you should get a bunch of info.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Get a lot more weight up front on that arrow.  A wounded bufalo is a dangerous animal and they are known for putting the hurt on people when provoked.  Crank your FOC up and shoot a heavy arrow at least 650 grains.  Buffalo ribs are tough and the animals can be hard to kill.

I would recommend at least 250 to 300 grains up front.  Get some brass or steel adapters or inserts that weight 100 or 125 grains.  Use a  razor sharp head thats weighs up around 150 to 200 grains and you should be able to get a complete pass thru on a good shot.

Make sure you guide is carrying a heavy rifle on the hunt.  Not tyring to spook you, but reality is that buffalo are not tame and have been known to kill people.  In Yellowstone they kill and wound more people than the bears and elk combined.

I am sure you guide is competent and knows how to hunt them safely. Just ask and verify that.  Also ask the hunting lodge what they thing you should use for arrow weight.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
Make sure you guide is carrying a heavy rifle on the hunt.  Not tyring to spook you, but reality is that buffalo are not tame and have been known to kill people.  In Yellowstone they kill and wound more people than the bears and elk combined.
They are fast too. I came around a bend to find a small heard while hunting the other day. They were on the left and one darted across the road and took a flanking position. We were done here. LOL He got there fast and he was just at a fast lope.

I have a large picture of one I encountered if you would like to make a target. He's right here. PM me if you want the big size.

forgot to subscribe
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline Longbow Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
I was just thinking and I would want to shoot a few rounds so I know he's got my or your back if somthing goes wrong not saying it will.Good luck hope you get one.
Death Before Dinner.  God is my camera man.   I Love Motorcycles and I Love Bow Hunting But I don't Mix The two I don't put wheels on my Bows

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Take Wingnuts advise,as far as arrow weight goes,don't sacifice accuracy.From my own experience take a broadside shot,those ribs are thick & close when quartering away.Good luck & be safe.
Leland

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
they are HUGE ! but not what you could say is a hard hunt / just find some walk up to about 10 yrds fire away !
  somehow they never learned that men are what eats them / BUT  they will be more than willing to stomp a mud hole so be carefull!
 they taste just like chicken ! lol
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
Arrow weight,FOC,accuracy, all go together, I would not even attempt it again with less than 680 grains! Low and tight in behind the front leg, slightly quartered away,I centered a rib with my first shot (700gr ash) and bent the "grizzly" broadhead! Only penetrated to the one lung, that is NOT enough to kill a Bison. The follow up shot was what I described as ideal, it went through the heart, story over.
mike

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by shakeyslim:
they are HUGE ! but not what you could say is a hard hunt / just find some walk up to about 10 yrds fire away !
  somehow they never learned that men are what eats them / BUT  they will be more than willing to stomp a mud hole so be carefull!
 they taste just like chicken ! lol
Seriously...you just said that?? When was the last time you killed one Shakey???

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 02:14:00 AM »
I have a friend that killed one last year in Canada. Not a farm but a wild bison. He is a really great hunter and he said it was one of the toughest animals to get on that he has ever hunted. Tell you what though , the meat is fantastic.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 05:29:00 AM »

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Here's some info you might can use.....

That Buffalo was taken with a
70# Morrison Cougar Hybrid Longbow,
an Original Wensel Woodsman broadhead
riding on an Arrow Dynamics Trad Heavy
weighting a total of 630 grains in the
beautiful state of Montana.

Est. weight on the hoof - 2000 pounds.

Buffy yielded 695#s of meat and a beautiful Mount.

Best of luck to ya....and yes, the meat is the best you can get!!!, and ya gets lots of it!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
Terry, beautiful animal. Just curious on the cost of the mount (ballpark)??

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
Joe,

If you look at what people who have taken animals that size use in their arrows, you will see the total weight is much higher than what you plan to shoot, and the front end weight is generally much more. I agree with the minimum arrow weights others have already suggested, and I think you could go as high as 800 grains without it being too much for your 60 pound bow. The heavy arrows will shoot just fine out to your 25 yard maximum distance and will penetrate better. I would personally suggest a really good two blade single bevel broadhead like the Abowyer Brown Bear, the Grizzly El Grande, or the best of them all -- the Ashby broadhead from Alaska Bowhunting Supply. The Ashby's are very expensive as you might expect when you see their incredible quality, but half a dozen will last you many years if you don't lose them and will be one of the cheapest aspects of your hunting if you amortize their cost over all the hunts where you use them. Like Terry, I like the AD Trad arrows and for the heaviest weight arrows prefer the Hammerhead shafts. They are nearly indestructible and are very forgiving of different point weights. You can add brass inserts along with heavy broadheads to really get the weight up there where you want it and the arrows will almost always fly great.

I love your buffalo Terry. That makes a great pedestal mount that looks like it is about the size of a VW.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Terry that is and Awesome Buffalo,
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
I shot mine with a 64# Robertson Vision Falcon. Arrow was a lam birch with a 200 gr Ace Super express up front, arrow weighed over 800 gr. You need a heavy arrow. Shot was from 25 yards and I hit the elbow, went through that and centered the heart. Listen to the the advise above. And do not believe you can just walk up on them, even ranch raised they will not just stand there. Took me over two hours to get my 25 yard shot once we found the herd.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Good thread guys, keep it coming.  Bison are definitely high on my "someday" list.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
OK the next obvious question is where? I know Terry took a Montana bull. I have major interest in this thread as I am planning my hunt schedule for next year...so any favorite places or outfitters?
Mike Davenport

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
I harvested my bison on the same ranch as Terry, the arrow I used is a 625 grain lodge pole pine shaft, footed with purpleheart, and tipped with a 190 grain grizzly; total weight of the arrow was 625 grains.  I used a 58# selfbow and got plenty of penetration (18 inches through a rib to the off shoulder) at fifteen yards and put the bison was down in 15-20 seconds.  These are big animals, they hold a lot of blood, so it take them a little longer to bleed out then your typical whitetail.  My shot was slightly quartering down wind and the arrow was tailing about three or four inches on impact, which probably hindered the penetration some.  I shot mine in December when it was around 15 degrees with sixty mile an hour winds (gusts above eighty mph) but don’t remember seeing enough ice on the sides of the bison to effect penetration.  My hunting buddy, Lenny Brown, used a Wensel with the factory tip on a bison with excellent results (centered the heart).  His setup was a Robertson longbow which pulls about 53-55#’s at his draw length and a cedar arrow weighing around 525 grains.

I will go against the conventional advice of the others; it appears to me that your setup has plenty of energy to do the job, if you put the arrows where it needs to go.  Re-read the last part of again “if you put the arrows where it needs to go”, that is the most important part of killing any animal.  You do that and all the arguments about bow and arrow weight are moot.  Just make a good shot!  My only recommendation to your setup would be to use a two blade broadhead if you are worried about penetration.        

Here is a picture of me with the bison, estimated weight of 1100-1200 pounds.

The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©