3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bison Hunting  (Read 1192 times)

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bison Hunting
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
Great thread. Love these type of "dream hunt" type.

Terry, is that mount in the school library? How did you get that done????
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Terry,
May I ask if you have info on where you hunted?
Thanks
Bob

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
Walt,

That is one BAD animal right there. I'd love to do that someday. Congrats on that one. Sweet.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Bob, The ranch Terry and I used sold all their bison last spring so they no longer have hunts.  Run a search on bison here at Tradgang and there are several others that can give recommendations regarding where they got their bison.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
Terry/Walt can you give so information on the Ranch that you Hunted?
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by CA BOWHUNTER:
Terry/Walt can you give so information on the Ranch that you Hunted?
Yes please  :pray:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
Read Walt's post above...

Always enjoy seeing that snow pic Walt.  It was too hot to fool around with mine, Doug was worried about getting it to the meat locker, but I wanted to 'roll him up' like yours for a pic let me tell ya.  But I'm sure happy with what I got.

Its in a school teacher's confrence room in that pic.  I took it there 1st when I got it from the taxidermy cause my girls wanted me to do a show and tell.  The teachers put it in there to keep it safe so all the kids could look in and see it on their way to lunch, but they couldn't get to it till I was there to tell them about it.

The cost was $1150 for a wall mount, which it also can be still as it has the hole for it, and the pedestal/mount was an extra $600.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Please, lets not confuse slaughtering a bison at a restricted ranch enclosure and bison hunting.  There are two conversations going on here in this thread, differentiate......

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve H.:
Please, lets not confuse slaughtering a bison at a restricted ranch enclosure and bison hunting.  There are two conversations going on here in this thread, differentiate......
Judge not...   :readit:  

This thread is ACTUALLY about how effective the gentleman's setup will be.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
Steve,

I'm with you.  There is a difference between a bison hunt and an bison harvest.  I did a harvest last year that was an adventure.  I'd love to get to come to Alaska and hunt the big boys or NWT.

There are so few places in the world that you can hunt them.  So a harvest is what I settled for and man does he eat good.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
My brother shot his mature bull with a 56#@28 shrew and grizzly stick Alaskan with about 350 grains up front.Two blade steel force head.He had a 100 or  125 grain steel screw in broadhead adapter and some extra weight in the front at the insert.125 grain head.

I would recommend a different head personally than what he used.Like the Abowyer,or Ashby heavywieghts.You Might consider steelforces new 190 grain African screw in head as well that has a .080 thick blade.

It was a heavy arrow.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Yep...I've never claimed my bison harvest to be a hunt.  I was just offering up some info on my set up for him to chew on.

Here's the story in the Articles/Stories forum....

Shot him back in 2005, and we are STILL eating off of him,....had burgers in deer camp last week.

A Montana Longbow Adventure
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
Good point Steve, my bison was a harvest/slaughter, not a hunt: hopefully everybody realizes the distinction.  However, like Mike stated it does eat good and I will add it eats really, really, good.  Also, as Juan pointed out this tread is about an effective setup for killing a bison.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
Harvest or hunt Who cares... Nice Bison's Terry & Walt. I would love to do either a hunt or Harvest on one of them Big Boys... More so with a bow then anything.

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
A couple of things come to mind here....

The 4500 acre ranch I was on, they are managed by hunting. Most have been born there and live in the "wild". The small herd I ran into you could NOT walk through them (from what I understand) and from coming too near them personally. You would have to "hunt" them. I realize the difference between finding one in the wild and finding one that has a fence. Wouldn't it still be hunting if you have to stalk, track and have the danger of being killed?

Another thing comes to mind.

What about the weight tubes that 3Rivers sells?? I'm shooting darn near the same set-up as our original poster. My arrows are 485gr. I have 50gr. brass inserts though. That's the only difference basically. Do the weight tubes mess with the spine???? Old boy has the arrows, but can't they be modified for the intended purpose??
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline Joe Hysong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys this is my first attempt at posting picture
Took this bull at 16 yds shot it a little foward but great penetration almost a complete pass through when the bull took off the arrow was only holding on by the fletching good blood at 10 yds and tracked him for an hour. He finally laid up and the rest is in my freezer.  My Arrow set up were tradtional only 400 grain with tube weight inserts plus 100 grain brass tips with 150 grain Woodsman Elite broadheads.  

Joe Hysong
Tomahawk Diamond Thunderstorm #60
Acts 10:13 Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Nice!Lots of fine meat for the freezer.
Leland

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
Congratulations!   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

I day dream of hunting a bison

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
oh i can vouch for the taste  of Bufflao as Bob Walker made me the best damn  Burger i have ever tasted in my life. and i took home about 3 to 4 bags of buffalo jerkey mmmmmmmmmm that i got from basspro. i just love the stuff.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
I think the original thread was asking about his setup - WOULD IT DO IT...

Somebody said two threads here...I don't think we are debating the type of hunt we are just making suggestions on the setup.

Whether you are harvesting one on a ranch or in the wild...the setup better work.

There were two fellas that harvested bulls up here at two different ranches.

One fella was a wheelie fella here in the yukon that bought a bull and wanted to shoot it with his bow and video it. I saw the video it wasn't very "how do you say it nicely" "easy on the animal".

He was shooting over 300fps but his setup was so light (mechanical blade broadhead and total weight around 380-425 grains I think it was awhile ago, but I remember thinking of how light it was). He wanted flat trajectory for sheep - WELL THESE AREN'T SHEEP.

Anyway he got piss poor penetration on the first shot quartering away at about 45 yards...maybe 6 inches....so then the bull wheeled around heading for the herd and he fired another one at about 25 yards I would guess (bull was on the run) and (extreme angle) and it glanced off the ribs and hit the dirt (snow).

The whole time the ranch owner is getting madder and madder. So now he heads into the group and he is trying to see which one has the arrow sticking out of him.

Takes about 5 minutes to see him and he's right in the middle of the pack....so he closes in and the herd scatters. He fires his third arrow and it hits the bull pretty much in the same spot as the first arrow but about gets about 14" of penetration. the bull veared off and headed for the trees with the rest of the herd.

He told me they waited for about an hour because of the last shot and they went in and found him laying in his bed still breathing.....the farmer finished him with the 338 behind the ear.

So I come along (before I knew all this) and ask if I can pay for a bison (had three ppl to share the cost/meat etc) asking if I can harvest the bison with my longbow and video it....

Can you guess what his answer was?

Well lets just say I haven't shot a bison yet

Jer Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©