3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: At Preston's (Much Hunting, Little Finding)  (Read 335 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
At Preston's (Much Hunting, Little Finding)
« on: November 22, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
Don Batten and I went to Preston Roberson's near Pittsboro, NC for a weekend of hunting that we've been planning since ATAR (in July). When we pulled into the family farm property, Preston met us in front of his parents' home. He said "Man, you guys have picked the best time to come. I've been seeing more deer this week than I've ever seen," We were already pumped and that really fired us up. Then he added that he had shot a nice little 8 point two days ago, to add to the excitement.

Well, we had a ball and hunted some beautiful country and sites, enjoying the whole trip to the fullest. However it seems the deer decided to take a week end trip too - somewhere where we wern't - LOL. We all know how that goes, don't we? Preston was crused but we still loved every minute of the hunts, meeting family members and friends, etc., and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Friday Afternoon Preston showed us the stand sites he had set up for us and for him and one of his nephews. 12 year old Aaron was trying to get his first buck. A fine young man, ardent hunter, and most pleasant, non-complaining chap to have along on any hunt. He told me he wants to hunt with a trad bow next year, and from his shooting and dedication, I'm sure he will. Preston's little girl, Lilly (born during ATAR last year) accompanied us while Preston pointed out stands and we made plans for that evening. Lilly is such a happy good-natured little girl to be around. We had gone for lunch at KFC before that and she stole the show, with us and all the local customers - without even trying. She stayed that way all weekend too. When we unloaded our gear I gave Preston one of Rose's afghans, telling him, "This is for you, your pretty wife, and your pretty home," (I love that log cabin he built). I also told him Rose actually sent it up there as their pay for taking me off her hands for a weekend - she did too, or at least that's what she says in cases like that.

That evening was very comfortable sitting and didn't start turning cool (spell that colder)untill we were all leaving our chosen stands, Don saw a nice sized cowhorn - too far away and moving in the wrong direction. From the stand I was in, I could watch two sites, and no deer came out to visit at either place. Preston and Aaron, sitting in a buddy stand, had two doe come out right under their stand, close enough to spit on. I'm not saying Preston did that but, if you know what a character our friend and host is, you can draw your own conclussions on whether he would do a thing like that or not (wink).

After the hunt, friends and family members started arriving for social friendship and to partake of the great oysters (2 large bushels) Don had brought fron the coast for the occasion. There were steaks, etc for those who weren't oyster nuts, plus sliced and deep fried white and sweet potatoes - Mmm-mmmm good! I think there was a beer or three floating around also, and much great talk and laughter. I should have got way more pictures of everything but kept forgetting and only got a few, which I will post along with this.

Sat AM we rose at  5 Am and were in our stands by 6 in spite of the cold. Don and I had swapped stands and neither of us had any visitiors this time. What a great site I was in though. A funnel if I ever saw one, in a small creek bed between two ridges. I just knew a deer would come along any minute, and I stayed until my toes started curling and cramping up around 10 AM    :D    

Preston and Aaron had jumped a "herd" of deer away from their stand on the way out in the dark, and then they heard one run from my area, about the time I would have been getting there. It would seem the deer stayed up all night, in keeping with our behaviour at the oyster roast. Then they went to bed and didn't walk during the morning     ;)    .

The others had quit a little earlier than me but that was all to the good because Preston was ready (and free) to cook my bacon, eggs, and coffee (without interferance) while I changed out of my hunting gear     :D    .

Saturday afternoon we enjoyed shooting our bows on Preston's 3D range, and Aaron joined us for the second half of the two or so hours. Also Preston's big buddy Randy joined us for a while. He and I had enjoyed each other's conversation the evening before, about self bows, the USMC and other world shaking and earth shattering subjects he asked about. He really was a pleasure to talk with and had moved me by thanking me for my service to our country.

That evening we took to our stands with mixed feelings as we knew it was our last "sit" and that we would have to leave our friends and good hosts right after we came out of the woods - unless, of course, we had to track, clean, and butcher befor leaving. It turned out Don spent his evening (in a very nice different site) watching one of the farm/pet cats putting a stalk on (probably) a field mouse. This time I was the only one to see a deer, in the creek bed stand. It was about a half hour befor dark and the doe also came down off the ridge, as did the one Don saw the first night, too far away for a shot. She then turned and followed the creek in the opposite direction that his had taken.
I still felt like one would happen along just any minute - and I bet it will too, just not that night. As we often say, "Best laid plans of mice and men ..."

Thank you Don for the safe ride, and thank you Preston, family, and friends for a great weekend.

Here's some pics (when I thought to use the camera) with some appropriate comments and names when I can remember them (you know me).
(Sorry about no "huntsy/woodsy" pics but they still are "great hunt" related.)

It didn't take nephew Aaron long to understand the "power of a warm afghan":

Preston with daughter Lilly doing her favorite "safe sleep". Brent's wife and Brent to the left and behind, and the "batman", Don, on the right:

Preston's wife, Melissa listens intently, wrapped in a blanket - because Aaron has her new afghan that she and Lilly fell in love with:

Don and Aaron finishing their after-hunt breakfast Sat AM:

Preston cooking my breakfast, in his own choice of Chef's jacket -  (Who cares when the food is good?):

(a few more to follow)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: At Preston's (Much Hunting, Little Finding)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
Since I failed to get any pics of us eating Don's generous gift of Oysters on Fri night, I decided the least i could do was take pictures of the scene of the dessimation on sat AM:

And finally a pic of Melissa playing with baby Lilly, and the afghan in it's new place of honor on the (Don's favorite sleeping) sofa:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
I was a fun weekend even though no shots were taken at live animals. when we were out shooting 3ds saturday , we noticed that a buck had visited the night before and destroyed one of Preston's deer targets . the body was broken in half and the horns were thrown about 10yrds away and he had made a scrape by a tree nearby.

thanks to Preston and family for being more than accomodating. Hope to get you down my way sometime soon. I love my eggs cooked by a chubby guy with tatooes. LOL.

You can tell an avid archer when he keeps his flu flu arrows on the counter right next to the bacon.

again a great trip and good company. thanks for the pics Bernie. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
My pleasure, good buddy.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »
Looks like it was a fine time! Hap

Offline Arrowhead80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
I checked the camera and confirmed what i thought,they moved all night long.Oh well there is plenty of hunting season left so yall come back any time.Don and three stand Bernie were entertaining to have and i hate it wasn't longer and more productive.I'll take care of a few of these deer till yall make it back.Thanks again for the oysters Don and the afghan Bernie,and always you guys company and friendship.
Possum the other white meat

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
LOL- I heard that ("3 stand" remark), Preston! It pays to be "rapid" when trying out new stands -   :D  

There is a lot of that "moving all night" going around everywhere these days - dog-gone it.

Thanks for the kind words and believe me the pleasure was all ours - we really got to enjoy the beautiful countryside more in this (longer) visit. I do hope we can get back sometime.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©