3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Would have been a chip shot  (Read 367 times)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Would have been a chip shot
« on: November 23, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
This saturday was our opening weekend of gun season. Friday morning i came out of the woods at 11 am and slipped up to one of our 1/2 acr greenfields and watched a 110 in 8 pointer feed out of the field.

Went back to our clubhouse and grabbed a lock-on and went back to the greenfield and hung my stand. That afternoon me and all my buddies went to another property to hunt so i planned on hunting my lock-on satuday afternoon, opening day of gun season.

Saturday afternoon rolls around and im out in the yard shooting and a couple of my buddies ask if im going to bow hunt the field or take my gun.
To be honest with you i hadnt decided what i was going to hunt with.

Since i just took up trad archery i have to tell you im HOOKED beyond belief and killed a nice 8 2 weeks ago that being my first trad kill.

I live in a state where we can kill over 100 deer a season and i have my fair share of bucks on the wall so i really like the challenge of getting super close and closing the deal, its more about the hunt to me now that i have started hunting with a stick bow.

So saturday i decide to take my bow and wouldnt you know it at 4 45pm the 8 pointer steps into the far side of the field (70 yards) and feeds in that spot for a good 30 minutes. To be totally honnest with you it didnt bother me at all that i wasnt carrying a rifle.

A lot of people would have loved to have killed this buck but no more than me. I have decided to put my rifles back in the safe and go all trad for the rest of the year. Killing animals with a rifle just doesnt get me pumped up like it use to.

I guess what im trying to say is im so grateful that i discovered trad archery. Im 42 years old and man do i wish someone would have introduced me to this sport a long time ago. I cant imagine anything being more fun than holding a custom made bow made just for me to chase deer with.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Would have been a chip shot
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
Agreed !

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Ditto

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
Nicely put, couldn't agree more!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Longbow Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
Same here well put.
Death Before Dinner.  God is my camera man.   I Love Motorcycles and I Love Bow Hunting But I don't Mix The two I don't put wheels on my Bows

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
Dang right! It isn't all about the killing!

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
Joe, I had the same thing happen last week...except I saw 3 nice bucks in the same evening. Two of them were bigger than any buck that I've ever killed. All of them were less than 75 yards and standing still.

Gotta love bowhunting!!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
life is over as you know it.   Trad bow hunting is a way of life for sure.  I picked up a long
bow 17 years ago and have not shot a gun since (not even at targets---much)  joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Exactly right!  But your still a kid.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
I sure dont feel like a kid at 42. Starting to hurt in places i never thought i had.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©