3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf or Chippewa ??????????????  (Read 462 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone Wolf or Chippewa ??????????????
« on: November 23, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
What do you prefer and why? Thanks   BILL

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf or Chippewa ??????????????
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
I've used both and in my opinion, Lone Wolf is far better. First off, the Lone Wolf is cast aluminum. It will not rust or weaken as time passes. Second off it's the quietest stand I've ever used. Even at minus 30 it does not squeak like others. We have some that have seen 15-20yrs use and still going as strong as new. We replace straps every second year and check bolts each year. The strap also makes a big difference in noise level if you are going to hang and hunt. Same goes for carrying it, no chain to rattle etc. Lone wolf hangs on even the smallest trees and stays put once in place, no need for second strap.
hunt it

Offline heartshoth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
love my lone wolf climber and chippewa hang ons...we have multiple brackets on the property and can go wherever the wind tells us to...very quiet and adjustable to 3 levels if needed...fyi i have not used the lone wolf alpha personally
BLACK WIDOW PSR X 2
KEMPF QWYKSTYK  X 2
Zipper SXT

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
I don't think either is "far better" than the other.  They are both top notch stands.  I have never had my Chippewa make noise or move, it is very easy and very quiet to install. I personally can't see how a stand can be better. My budy has several Lone Wolf's and loves them.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.
ChuckC

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
I gotta agree with Chuck on this one, Ive had both and they are both very quiet and easy to hang. The only reason I dont have the wedge loc now is it was a small one, great for packing but I prefered a larger platform.

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
I had a lonewolf hang on. It was easy to install was quiet, and well built. THe first moment my butt touched the seat it hurt, and it did not get better. If you have an iron ass it is fine. I never tried the chippewa. My friend tried the hand climber with the rubber straps, after thiry minutes of trying to make it go up the tree, he returned it. Those rubber cables hang on the loose bark of the tree and are a mess.

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
I have both and regularly use both of them. If theft is a concern you cant beat the chippewa. I just padlock in a few cables and when you want to hunt that tree the stand hangs in seconds and is silent. I don't think you can go wrong with either one

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
Never used a Lone Wolf but I believe they are a great product. My Chippewa is still rock solid and silent after almost 15 years. And I can level the platform. Easy to set-up too.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by hunt it:
I've used both and in my opinion, Lone Wolf is far better. First off, the Lone Wolf is cast aluminum. It will not rust or weaken as time passes. Second off it's the quietest stand I've ever used. Even at minus 30 it does not squeak like others. We have some that have seen 15-20yrs use and still going as strong as new. We replace straps every second year and check bolts each year. The strap also makes a big difference in noise level if you are going to hang and hunt. Same goes for carrying it, no chain to rattle etc. Lone wolf hangs on even the smallest trees and stays put once in place, no need for second strap.
I used both also, and I agree with Hunt it

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
Never had a Lone Wolf, but I love my Chippewa's....I have 2. Great stands, easy to hang, solid, safe, quiet.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
I have both a lone wolf hang on with the sticks and a climber (sit and climb).  I like and use both.  I prefer a climber because i am much quicker setting up in one and it's easier to pack down than the hang on and sticks.
>>>--------->

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
I only have a Lone Wolf, but I highly recommend it.  It can be leveled for leaning trees, and does a pretty good job on side-leaning trees as well.  And I find it to be very comfortable.  It is extremely stable and silent; you can focus entirely on shooting.

I'll add this about the ladder sticks.  I used them for two different sets this past weekend in IA (came darn close to getting shots at several nice bucks) and when I released the straps on the sticks, the sticks remained in place.  In other words they bit into the hackberry and maple that much.  They certainly wouldn't have supported your weight without the belt, but by digging in that much, they were very stable to climb.  No regrets whatsoever spending the money for the combo.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
I've never used the Chippewa stuff, but I can tell you there is no way you'll go wrong with a Lone Wolf stand/stick package.   Mine has become indispensible to me, a vital part of my hunting practices.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
Some one complained about the seats on the Lone Wolf.. You had an old seat,, try a new one.. No iron buns here anymore, but can set for extended time with no discomfort.. The old foam ones where not as comfortable.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 05:46:00 AM »
I like the Lonewolf Climber and there hang ons. The Chips great for places you don't want to be picked up on. Pop some steps and leave the belt, Bingo.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
I have used both amd like both. The only trouble with the Chippewa is it is limited to trees smaller than 18" in diameter. If you are going to hunt trees larger than 18" in diameter I would go with a Lone Wolf.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
I am not sure about the tree Diameter Jack. I have had my Chippewa in some big trees. I would measure my strap but it was stolen a few years back. Also, someone mentioned the noise from the chain on a Chippewa, you can get a big heavy nylon strap for them also.It is like a big seat belt. Strong, quiet and fast to set up. you can purchase several of the hanger straps/chains and set them in the trees, and then just pack your stand in and hang it on and hunt.
Of coarse the Lonewolf stuff is great also.
Good luck.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
The only trouble with the Chippewa is it is limited to trees smaller than 18" in diameter.
That was the first thing I noticed about them.  The small v bracket and it's design are limiting for seating to larger trees.  Nice stand, but not versitile enough for me.  Unless you're looking at a mamouth tree, you'd be hard pressed to find one a LW stand won't fit into.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©