3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: best way to hunt with children  (Read 1128 times)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: best way to hunt with children
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
Duck tape and some rope.  :biglaugh:

Just kidding my 6 yr old girl is driving me crazy to take her so im trying to come up with a plan myself. Im lucky we have some big fields with some great shooting houses. Im going to take her video games and coloring books and maybe a I Pod so she can listen to Hanna Montana rock while i try to down the buck of a life time.   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
They're great to have along on bear hunts.  I like to smear them with honey and tell to stay close to the tree stand.  Man do I miss those days.  I need some more kids.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline rjms1995

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
This was my second year hunting with my two daughters. A DB blind works great. A mp3 player was very helpful. One thing I discovered this year was having an extra set of binoculars was a lifesaver. Those binocs got alot of use. My oldest daughter, who is 9,  spotted more dear than me. It was very nice too have an extra set of eyes.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
Make sure they have fun.  Take them to hunt things like squirrels and frogs and gophers.  Shoot a lot, even if only stump shooting.  Ever hunt grasshoppers ?

The ground blind idea allows the kids to move a bit and still keep busy but participate.

Do not take them out in freezing or otherwise nasty weather.

Keep it fun and busy.
ChuckC

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
I have taken my 5 yo since he was about 2.  We used to go squirrel hunting, but last year I started letting him shoot a .410 shotgun.  He loves it.  To top it all off, he killed his first deer this year.  When he shot that doe, I was shaking so bad I could hardly help him out of the blind.  I was trying to put another shell in his gun and realized (when i barely could get the shell in) that I was haveing more fun watching him then I ever had on my own.  PRICELESS!!!!!!
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
bornagain thats a great story, one you will never forget.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Like others have said, don't forget going scouting or small game hunting with them. Long distance scouting helps avoid the noise and fidgeting problems. Small game has more action and that helps keep them occupied and focused.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
When bear hunting I like to cover them with honey and tie them to a tree within 20 yards...

O wait I guess You to have them sit with You...Sorry..   :banghead:    :banghead:  

Any kind of pop-up blind will be your best way to do this, till they can sit still for hours and not make noise.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
When my boys were little, 3 and 6 (they're 28 and 31 now) their mother and I took them turkey hunting. We moved in on a gobbler, and I sat in a ditch with both boys in my lap. I did the calling, and mom hid about 10 yards in front of us. They could just see the gobbler when she rolled him. The thing they remembered the best, I found out much later, was the cow that was licking the truck when we came out. Go figure.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
I think a blind set up is better than a tree stand for taking young children along. They are more comfortable in a blind. I used to bring a small propane heater for them in cold weather. They have to stay comfortable and safe to have a good time. If they get tired they can lay on the ground in a blind.

If you do use a tree stand set up climbing ropes with prusick knots to make sure they are safe going up and down the tree.

The main thing is to keep it fun. When they have had enough for the day end it and go back another day. When you hunt with kids their enjoyment and comfort comes first and the hunt is second, otherwise you may turn them off to it.  

Good luck and enjoy it now, because you are going to blink and they will be 25 years old.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Now you're onto a subject I can really get into!

I also suggest a pop up blind like the Double Bull but there are cheaper alternatives.  The cheapest is the camo cloth type blind where you just drape it over brush around you.  If using a pop up, the bigger the blind the better if you are taking a kid and hoping to shoot with a bow.  

I started out taking my daughter when she was 4 or 5 years old during gun season and just used the Walmart camo burlap or the other synthetic leafy cut stuff that you can get for about $15 and it worked fine.  We'd find a deadfall or some brushy area and drape the camo over the branches in front of us and set up a pair of Niff-T-Seats.  I'd set mine with the tall leg and hers with the short leg and put hers right between my knees.  That way, she could lean back against me and if it was cold, I could kinda put my arms around her to help her stay warm.  

Another tip, if you take two of the camo blind cloth pieces, you can drape one over a couple deadfall branches like you are building a fort and most likely, the first instant your kid gets bored, they'll be inside the "fort" like a dog into it's house.  They can play, fidget, take a nap or whatever and you can stay on your stool and keep an eye on the woods and your kid at the same time.  If you really would like to hunt for a "grown up" length of time, making the little fort and taking an old blanket along will help a bunch.  Put all the blind cloths and the blanket inside a soft backpack and when you get set up, build your blind and fort then open the backpack up and lay it flat like a ground cloth and fold the blanket like a sleeping bag and put it on top.  When your kid gets cranky, 9 times out of 10 it'll be because they are tired or bored.  Just let them lay down and take a nap.  Nothing like fresh brisk air and a soft blanket to make an enjoyable nap.  I shot a doe with a 45-70 when hunting with my daughter while she was asleep in her little "nest" right beside me and she never heard the gun go off!

Be sure to clear a big area of leaves around you when you set up.  That way if something comes in, your kid can move off to the side quietly.  In fact, regardless of the type of blind, do a couple "pretend" scenarios.  It will help them get into the whole hunting thing and it makes it a lot less likely that they screw up a situation for you if a deer comes in for real.  I know we all think we wouldn't get upset if our kid spooked a deer but for some people it happens, if only for a split second before they catch themselves and tell the kids "it's okay, we'll get him next time".  For me and my boy, we found that in my Double Bull, about the only place he could stand and not be in the way if I was trying to shoot my bow was to my right and kinda back in the corner.  He could still see fine from there and was not in danger of being hit by a bow limb.

Gotta agree too on the snacks and drinks already mentioned, but I'll add that food and water inevitably lead to another result.... Daddy, I gotta go potty... Don't forget the TP!

I started carrying a little plastic garden trowel when blind hunting.  You can dig a little hole about 6" deep about the size of a small flower pot and they can pee in it and you just drop the plug of dirt back in and tamp it down.  They think it's fun!  I honestly started carrying it for myself when I'd sit from dark to dark in my blind.  The plastic ones only weigh an ounce or two and cost next to nothing.  Of course, it goes without saying that if they have to go number 2, you either need a deeper hole or ya gotta take them downwind about 50 yards...but it's all part of the adventure.

Lastly, be sure to take your camera!  Take lots of candid pictures.  Get goofy and do "pretend" stuff.  When you get them home and have them developed, pick one or two of the best ones and make an enlargement like a 5X7 or 8X10 and start hanging pics up an a wall in your house.  I have a little section of wall in the den that is nothing but hunting/kid pictures in 8X10 wooden frames.  You'd be surprised at how proud your kids will be to show people the pictures of when they went hunting with Daddy.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
Tim, I just re read your original post and noticed that you were thinking of getting your kid up in a tree stand.  If your boy is only 8 and your daughter 6, I'd probably recommend against it.  It's just about impossible to find safety harnesses that small and the worst case scenario could be pretty bad.  I'm sure that is why almost everyone that answered talked about ground blinds and hunting from the ground in general.

Certain exceptions might be made depending on the kid but it's the getting into and out of the tree that presents issues.  Ladder stands of course are about the safest option but you still need a safety of some sort.  An elevated box or tree house type stand is probably the absolute safest thing for hunting with a kid from an elevated position but if you don't own the land, they really are not an option.

I have an 8 year old boy and I think that if I used my rapid rails and two hang on stands I could get him safely in and out of a stand but then I'm back to trying to find a harness that fits him.  I'm really not willing to use one of the old style waist/chest strap types for him and have never seen a vest or harness small enough.

If you do elect to try hunting from a tree stand, I recommend a drop line safety rope.  Basically, you set up your stands yourself using normal climbing safety stuff but then attach a rope (about 1/2" will work if it is properly load rated) around the tree about shoulder high above the platform and drop the other end all the way to the ground.  The bottom end gets tied around the base of the tree so the hanging rope is just barely taught.  This is your safety line.  Next, you need to tie a prussic hitch onto the drop line with a second piece of rope and leave a loop to hook to.  The prussic knot will slide up and down the drop line if you move the knot but if you fall and pull on the loop, it locks up tight.  Seat-O-The Pants brand harnesses use this knot and that is where I first saw it.

If you do a search on the internet, you should be able to find instructions for tying it.  It's really easy.  Basically just a piece of rope maybe 1 1/2 to 2 feet long of about 1/2 to 2/3 the diameter of the drop rope with the two ends tied together.  It gets wound about 3 times around the other rope and the end pulled back through the middle and that's it.  Of course, without seeing it, my description will never get it done.  If I get a chance, I'll try to post a picture of it.

Good luck!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
I just googled "prussic knot" and the second hit was for a site called "instructibles.com" and it shows exactly the knot I'm talking about.  
The only difference is the number of turns they show.  Their picture shows two wraps on each side and I'm used to seeing three.
Dave

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Dave I did rock climbing in the Marine Corps(Assault Climber) and figured if I take to the trees their will be more safety ropes around him that he may look like the Michelin man in a tree. I am going to try a ground blind from some natural material and see how it works. What sucks in Jersey is he wants to carry a bow and if your not 10yo u cant get a license and that means you cant carry a bow even know it wont be shot at a deer.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Well Tim, if you did rock climbing, maybe you know how to do the old fashioned rope body harness?  Perhaps you could even do a how to?

You also said "What sucks in Jersey is he wants to carry a bow and if your not 10yo u cant get a license and that means you cant carry a bow even know it wont be shot at a deer."

I guess if he's not 10 years old, doesn't have a license and only has some blunts, then he ain't hunting eh?

I'd double check on the regulation.  Find out if stump shooting is legal in NJ maybe and if so, he could stump shoot while you hunt....  There's got to be some sort of common sense way around it if he truly is not hunting and just wants to carry a bow.  I know guys who had their kids follow them in gun season with their BB guns to teach them some basic hunter safety.  The game wardens thought it was a great idea.  You know how they are about safety and all that.  Maybe he could just carry a bow and no arrows so that he could learn some bow safety.  You keep an arrow or two of his in your quiver so that if you get somewhere that maybe has a nice dirt bank you could take some practice shots at he could shoot a couple arrows too.  If that fails, stick a couple suction cups on the ends of his arrows.  There's just gotta be a point of "duh" factor where anybody with a brain would know he's not hunting.
Dave

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Throw up a popup blind in a good squirrel spot and they won't even notice you and the kids. They run right in front of the blind and you can shoot them with your bow. Did that last month with my two girls. My youngest was even sitting there playing a nintendo game! Squirrel hunting is a good way to introduce them to hunting.

-Charlie

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Dave the rope seat is very easy to do and can explain it to you or I can draw it out and mail it to you.We don't do a full over the shoulder harness we just use the seat.so pm me your address and i will send you the directions.A 100ft 3/8 static line and a rappelling seat can come in handy when traversing some slopes while hunting.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Tim, sent you a PM.
Dave

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2009, 05:13:00 AM »
the fun is in the preperation let them help you pack.keep the hunt simple even if you hunt the ground.they just really want to be with you.I t cant be about always getting something.it is about showing them the importance of how to get ready its the excitement of being apart of.it is a pacitcance builder over the years.let them know you expect more from them each year.Its like fishing. when they are 2-3 I didnot put hooks on there line just a bobber.they run around have a good time they dont know the differance.when I hook a fish I give it to them.nobody gets hurt an we all have FUN.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©