3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lighter bow + heavier arrow + mexican eagles = deer down  (Read 762 times)

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Lighter bow + heavier arrow + mexican eagles = deer down
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Well I went down to my family's place in south texas this past weekend and had a wonderful time. I did four hunts and took a deer on the first of those hunts, the rest of the hunts were just for fun or guiding young cousins and I didn’t loose any arrows on the latter hunts.  During that first hunt, I was sitting in a tripod near a corner of our property.  I've sat at that spot numerous times and NEVER loosed an arrow from there.  At this particular spot, there is  a 30 acre hay field in front of me and thick brush behind me.  I had some deer movement early on (which was awesome b/c sometimes there are NO deer there) but it was too dark to shoot so I bided my time.  About 1/2 hour later, three deer came out of the hay field and began  coming towards my stand.   Eventually they got closer and I could tell there might be a shot opportunity.  The 2 lead deer came past me and crossed under the barbed wire fence into the brush behind me (state land).  As the 3rd and final deer was coming close and nearing the brush line I arrowed him in the front chest area. The arrow zipped in and out and he did a 180 degree turn and BOLTED back into the hay field from where he came.  He covered about 100 yards in what seemed like 2 seconds!  He then stopped and stood for awhile.  He bedded shortly, then got up and started walking away slowly.  The fact that he was back on his feet was disconcerting but I knew the shot had been true.  At that point I was standing on the platform of the tripod watching him from afar, very anxious.  After walking a few steps, he reversed direction and tried to take a step and just nose dived.  I was relieved to see the deer go down.  A friend of mine was hunting the other side of the hay field and it was early so I did not want to get down and mess up my buddy's hunt. However, no more than 5 minutes after the deer took the nose dive, a caracara landed in the field near my deer (grass was a bit too high to see exactly what was going on). Then another caracara quickly swooped down and joined the first.  I was a little worried that those large eagles might try to eat my deer so I got down low and scurried over to the deer and sure enough they were feasting on the head, eyes first!  I grabbed the deer and di di mau'd back to the ranch house dragging the deer with me.  This is a young deer and many would say its not a 'shooter' but ever since I stopped hunting at feeders everything is a trophy to me!  I used to sit at a tripod, have deer come into the corn feeder, feeder goes off, deer eat, I'd pick out the deer I wanted, wait for a quartering away or broadside shot and whack it.  That was getting too easy and finally I was fed up and decided not to hunt feeders anymore.  When hunting at feeders, it wasn’t the same b/c there were too many knowns…….I knew WHEN the deer would come in, I knew WHAT direction they would come in from and I knew what TYPE of shot (distance/angle/direction) that I would generally have to take.  It wasn’t making me a better hunter and it wasn’t the challenge I was looking for.  And I was thinking too much before the shots b/c I had the luxury of being able to take my time w/ things before the shot.   Now I'm sitting at funnels or game routes or taking walks trying to put myself in a position where I will see something and using the natural lay of the land to my advantage. I'm doing a LOT more scouting and I feel that I'm becoming a more well rounded hunter.  Ever since the change I've had 2x the fun and 10x the satisfaction.  Never in a million years would I have taken a slightly quartering towards shot while hunting a feeder b/c I generally had the luxury of waiting for the deer to turn while feeding…… but on this hunt, like all the other recent non-feeder hunts I didn't have much time to think: He was walking in, I was at full draw, he was stopped and the arrow was on its way.  I doubt I'll take that slightly quartering towards shot again b/c I feel its a low percentage shot and I don’t like seeing 'em up and alive that long after the shot.  The whole thing lasted just minutes but it felt like an eternity.  The shot opportunity presented itself quickly and the shot happened so fast that I didn't give much thought to shot presentation.  It weird that I sometimes seem to do my best shooting when I don’t overthink and instead just react.  The shot was 17.5 yards with my 1965 Damon Howatt Ventura,  40# at 28",  with a 588 grain arrow (I realize I don’t need 588 grains to kill a deer, but I've been tinkering w/ heavy weights and its been fun). This was my first time to loose a WW at an animal and the damage inflicted by the 3 blade wensel woodsman was shocking.  I'm gonna use these heads for awhile and see what they can do on the pigs around here. A big thanks to Dino for the FREE hook up on the 3 wensel woodsmans!!!! I used one of those heads given to me by Dino to take this deer.

Thanks for reading and good luck with your season!

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lighter bow + heavier arrow + mexican eagles = deer down
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Lets see if I can get the pics to work

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
Great story!  Congrats.  :thumbsup:
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
Congrats on excepting the challenge free of feeders. Great story!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 05:48:00 AM »
Well-done!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 06:30:00 AM »
Congrats   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

You may want to invest in a quiver with a hood for safety sake.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
Good deal. Congrats.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 07:09:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »
Nice deer Chris, but do you hunt with those broadheads exposed like that?  I'd have one of those through my hand in a matter of seconds. That frightens me.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »
Whatever happened to paragraphs?     :scared:
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
Way to go! Looks just like a buck I killed last week about 60 miles southeast of you in Dewitt County. Congrats! CK

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. This past weekend was the first time I used the quiver w/o the hood and probably the last time. There were lots of problems other than just the precariousness of unsheathed broadheads:
-the woodsmans seemed to rust fast in the heavy fog/dew we have during the mornings down there
- its hard to pull an arrow from the quiver b/c you dont have leverage/fulcrum anymore at the top b/c there are clamps on top instead of foam
- bow doesnt fit into soft case when strung w/ quiver b/c no hood to help it slide in.  

So yea I'll be going back to the hood for this weeks hunts and practice.  Good luck to ya'll!

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
wow Curtis I just checked out the website. You guys have some very reasonable prices compared to what I've seen elsewhere.  Might have to look into it some day.  I've always wanted to arrow a goat or sheep with my bow.

Thanks and take care

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
Great story and yes, paragraphs sure make
things more readable.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by freefeet:
Whatever happened to paragraphs?      :scared:  
LOL! My eyes hurt too! BUT GREAT STORY!

Thanks for sharing it!   :thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
Good story & deer. I'm w/you sans feeders for reasons you mentioned. Hunting means different things to different people.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
guys thanks for the comments. okay next time I'll use paragraphs  :)  

I'm a CPA not an editor  :)

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
Fine story, fine shootin and fine pictures. Folks from Texas don't need no paragraphs! Sentences are BIGGER in Texas.  :goldtooth:
hunt it

Offline Hooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
Congrats!
Black Widow PSA III - 59#@31
Black Widow PSR III - 53#@30 1/2
Holm Osprey 62"- 55#@30"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©