3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many have done it?  (Read 934 times)

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
How many have done it?
« on: November 24, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
OK guys....getcher minds outta the gutter!   :biglaugh:  

I've had this happen once to often:

You can see how the web of my hand is about even, even sticking a little above, the shelf. Make me a little gun shy so to speak. I had to consciously rearrange my grip every shot or it's band-aid time again. That little sucker really bleeds too don't it? The palm swell just wasn't workin' for me right.

So I whipped out the Dremel and sandpaper and had at the grip. I'll post pics and my reasons for doing so later on if you'd like to see the end results. Still have to poly it then wrap the grip.

I wasn't worried about the warranty-I wouldn't expect Bill to be responsible for my decision. I'm OK with that. And I've done nothing to jeopardize the integrity of the structure, so I don't expect it to blow up on me.
I don't intend to sell this bow in the future, it is MY bow, as such I want it to fit ME.
I am happy with the results, and that's all that matters to me.

Just wanted to see how many out there, and I'm talkin' to the guys who don't build their own, would do/has done the same to their custom bows.
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many have done it?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
i've lowered the shelf on my bob lee. i'm convinced it is easier to point now.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 01:40:00 AM »
I haven't had that exact problem with my hand but I have taken a rasp to quite a few handles to fine tune them to my hand,assuming there was enough wood there.I don't mess with the thinner throat area though.

The grip is where you join the bow and the bow joins you.I feel that a grip that fits me well is truly what makes it my bow.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 01:56:00 AM »
Here's the original contour:

And how it fit my hand:

You can see the web of my hand peeking up over the shelf in the second pic. The swell of the grip hit right under the ball of my thumb, pushing my hand up higher on the grip. I could not get a satisfactory repeatable grip, always had to realign everything, or else OUCH!

After the Dremel and sandpaper:

I took off the upper part of the swell where it would be under my thumb, now the swell sits in my palm. Like this:

My hand is still a little open in this picture, but that's from trying to twist my hand around so I could take this picture with my other hand.

Notice how the web of my hand now sits a little lower, my hand is not being forced up by the swell now.
It fits my hand now like it was made for it.
Hey....waitaminnit.....it was!   :D  

Now to poly it up and find a nice piece of leather to wrap the grip with.
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 02:21:00 AM »
With wood that nice looking why would you want to cover it for?

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 02:28:00 AM »
Sal,
depends of what leather I can find, gotta make a trip to Tandy's. I thought of not covering it for the very reason you state, but the leather should offer a little insulation from that bare wood and maybe a little less slippery grip.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »
Sal,
depends of what leather I can find, gotta make a trip to Tandy's. I thought of not covering it for the very reason you state, but the leather should offer a little insulation from that bare wood and maybe a little less slippery grip. Besides, I think the right leather and lacing can add to the looks.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 02:44:00 AM »
~Dang!~ Excuse the double post.
Mentioning wrapping and lacing-I saw a video a while back on that. Before I ever expected to do this.
Think I can find it now? HAH!   :help:  
It's not in the How-to's on here, don't remember where it was I saw it. Ticks me off 'cause I usually download things like that. If I did, and I bet I did, I can't find where I hid it.   :banghead:      :banghead:    :banghead:

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
Wouldn't it have been easier to use a thicker rug rest or to put a matchstick or  small wooden ridge on the shelf under your rug rest?
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
Or you could have wrapped some serving string around the riser just below the shelf -- just enough to make a positive upwards stop to lower your hand just that little bit needed to give fletching clearance.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
I have a Mikuta longbow that the grip just wasn't to my likeing. Totally changed it and now its much better. I have small hands and many grips just don't work for me. It's your bow it should fit you!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
Have done it on a few occasions after buying used bows that don't fit my fairly small hands. If the grip does not fit well, I will not shoot it well, consistently.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
You did a good job working the wood. Blend back to perfection w/no harm of the grip by any means if you like it.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Well, if the grip bothered you from a comfort standpoint, then you did right to alter it.

Honestly, I try to get my hand up where you show yours in the first pictures on purpose.  Just helps me feel the shot or point the bow better being closer to the arrow.

If the grip was comfortable but it was just that you were getting cut by your feathers, then I'd have looked to the arrows not the bow.  You might have been able to just clean up the leading edge of your fletch and fixed the problem.  

I use a sharp knife to skive a bevel on the front of the quill then put a drop of duco cement on it and let it dry.  You can slide your fingers down the shaft and they just glide up over the front edge of the fletch.  You should be able to shoot a smoothly tapered fletch off your knuckle and not get cut.

The exception is maybe wild turkey fletch as it is stiffer than domestic and the feather itself can (over time and multiple shots) cause the same problem.

By the way, beautiful bow.  I love that bacote.  Any idea on what finish you are going to use to touch it back up?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
It works, I have used hockey tape for a grip and with my oldest son I wrapped a thin strip multiple times below the shelf so he wouldn't high grip the bow it did work for him.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Nice job customizing your riser!  Me? I'm not that brave.  I'll sell it and but another.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I had the same problem. Now I shoot cock feather in, no more cut hand.

Duane
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
When I had a similar problem (the scars are fading now) I just built up the shelf a little bit, just enough to keep the fletching from touching. My Torges bow is like that too, but I won't alter it! It will stay the way Dean made it. I shoot it like Duane, cock feather in.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Butts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Hell, thats the only way my bows can draw blood!
As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps clear the turds from your path.  George Carlin

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Dave makes a good point about smoothing the leading edge of your fletchings...there's no scenario where that sharp edge helps you out.

Yes, I've reworked the grip on a longbow and two recurves.  I radiused and narrowed the shelf on my Bear recurve, radiused and narrowed the shelf on a Brownign Wasp and completely rebuilt the grip on my Seven Lakes longbow.

It's my bow!  I don't buy 'em for resale value...
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©