3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? re: Backquivers  (Read 473 times)

Offline lucznik

• Trad Bowhunter
? re: Backquivers
« on: November 24, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »
I was watching a 3RiversArchery video on their website about proper use of a backquiver.  I've never used one before but, have become interested in them (and sidequivers) lately.  

My question came about as the backquiver was being demonstrated.  I could clearly hear the arrows rattling around both when the demonstrator put on the quiver and when he drew or replaced an arrow. It was really quite loud.  They also rattled around quite noisely as he moved back and forth in the demonstration.

So, my question is this; how do you keep your arrows quiet when hunting with a backquiver?
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? re: Backquivers
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »
I use a home made cat quiver now but my favorite back quiver was a case skinned fox. Just use the opening at the hind end to put your arrows in and add a strap. Here is the rub because it is soft and there is tons of fur lining the outside edge of the opening the noise is dramatically dampened. I've also found that lining the opening of a leather back quiver with fur can reduce noise dramatically.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 02:03:00 AM »
a good Hill style back quiver will " collapse " a bit and hold the arrows rattle free in the quiver .

its pretty much the only quiver i use , except for a Cat Quiver in really inclement weather .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 05:43:00 AM »
I'll second what Ben Maher (above) said. I've snuck quietly-up to many an animal with a back-quiver on, and Ben Maher has even more good experience with them. They work, for sure. Just make sure it crushes on your back. The ones that Mike G makes are perfect.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
how many broadheads do you keep in your backquiver and how do you keep them sharp? Use sheaths?
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
I put foam in the bottom to hold the broadheads and a fleece fletching cover keeps them from rattling.I did read on another post about a guy I think Terry Green used oatmeal in the quiver and it is something im gonna try.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
IMO the most important aspect of hunting w/backquiver is to make it so suptle that it conforms snugly to your back. That means you must massage, oil, +/or otherwise prepare your quiver to close tightly around the arrows such that they will not shift or rattle. Other tricks include soft collars & bottoms for steadfast silencing. Learn how to touch up & sharpen your BH's in the field. My backquiver will hold 2 dozen arrows w/bh's easily. *Normal carry 1 dozen.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
A decent back quiver is not loud and the arrows don't rattle, unless you separate them and wear the quiver upright.

As mentioned above, the quiver should collapse onto the arrows, so to speak, and keep them from rattling.  Also, the angle on the shoulder helps as well.  They are really handy to get around with (one strap only); they can be pulled under the bow arm to get through thick stuff and are normally light and easy to carry.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
I don't keep anything in the bottom of my quiver to keep the broadheads sharp. If you picture a bunch of triangular broadheads together, their geometry is going to keep them from touching each other for most of their edge. If you put one back into your quiver, then it might touch going-in. They stay sharp, but I do check them each day of hunting.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
I did read on another post about a guy I think Terry Green used oatmeal in the quiver and it is something im gonna try.
Lol really?  That's cool - keeps your arrows quiet and in a warm rain, you get breakfast.

:bigsmyl:

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
Yes, like said a good backquiver will conform to your back. Alot of the fancy looking quivers out therecan stand up on their own on the ground like a bucket. Too heavy grade of leather!

Look at any pics of Howard from the back, and you can see how it lays flat. When I use mine, I will use the leather booties over the broadheads.

And when moving under limbs or thru brush, just slip the the quiver down and under your bow arm. With practice like shootin, you will be amazed how quietly you can go!

Good shootin, Steve

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline jdemoya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Get you a quiver of pliable leather. Before you use it put it under the couch you use to watch TV. Keep it there for a few days and sit on it often. It should conform to your back after that treatment and collapse on the arrows. The bottom of the quiver should be elliptical, not circular. The strap should have the slick side towards your body so you can slide it easily under your arm.
God bless,

José

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 02:08:00 AM »
umm...I dont think I'd stick oatmeal in the bottom...think about whats going to happen when it gets wet.  

I have one of the latigo quivers much like the one three rivers had you could lace up on your own and I wear it quite often....actually is really nice.  BUT...I dont hunt with it other then small game.  I opt out for a chief side stalker quiver made by Jack Bowyers.  (look up dean torges's web page you'll find them there).  

I also have one of the back quivers from black widow, I think it's their deluxe model...it has foam in the bottom.  It does work ok, but you still have to be careful putting razor sharp heads in not to hit shafts or other heads.   I think botties would be a smarter idea if you plan on hunting with them...jmho.

I also remember on american leathers web page they had some info on the correct FIT of a back quiver...regarding arrow length to tube length.   I think some back quivers bodys are just to short for the length of shaft inside.   Unfortunatly that info is NOT on their site anymore.  I'm sure though you can easily email them and they'll pass the info along to you that you'll need.

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
AkDan, Its still on there look under the Q&A in the top right hand corner.
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
thanks for the heads up sb!  it's some good info there that'll help with the noise problem.  I guess i'm lucky with the two back quivers I have...they are pretty dang quiet.  Up close you can hear some feathers rustling if you are moving around.  It's also a good reminder to slow down while still hunting LOL!

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
 http://shrewbows.com/shrewbackquiver/  
Very nice Ron the bow pocket is an especially well thought out addition......this would be very handy for sheep/goat hunting!
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©