3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: first longbow  (Read 460 times)

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
first longbow
« on: November 24, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Hello.  New guy here with a question.  I'm looking for some feedback on a bow that I think I'm going to buy.

Would a Howatt Bushmaster be a good longbow for a beginner?  I know very little about traditional shooting.  The bow is 64", and I'm 5'9" with a 28" draw.  Thanks for any help you guys can give.
Matt

Offline akalhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: first longbow
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
The Bushmaster would be a great bow to start with.   You will like it.
L Hunt

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Any idea on a fair price for one that's in good shape?

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
They are a solid well built bow,I like Martin/Howatt bows.I have seen used ones go anywhere from $175 to $250 depending on condition.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
I think that would be a great bow to start with. Buy it as cheap as you can so if you dont like it you will have no problem selling it.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I think I'll go ahead and buy it.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
Sweet but you know you owe us some pictures once you have done so.  

:bigsmyl:

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
"Would a Howatt Bushmaster be a good longbow for a beginner? I know very little about traditional shooting"...I'm surprised no one asked what poundage the bow is, easy to be overbowed just starting out

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Martin makes a great bow. You didn't  mention how much weight you were getting. If it's your first stick bow then keep it low, 40lb to 45lb, or even less.

Whatever you get have fun and enjoy.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
It's 50.  My dad lent me his old Bear Kodiak recurve to practice on.  It's 35lb.  I assumed that the form would be the same on a longbow and a recurve, but maybe I should have asked that first.  I've been reading a lot of threads on here and over at AT that discuss proper form.  My compound is set to 65 which I know has a 65% letoff.  But I don't have any problems with that so I thought I'd be ok at 50.

The weight I was looking for in a longbow was 40-50 lbs, and found this one which is 50.  I did pass on a Bear Montana that I really liked, but it was 55.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
I had a Martin Bushmaster, also 50#,I really liked and kind of regret selling.
It was a very smooth shooter and fast.
You can't go wrong with Martin bows.

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
I have had my Bushmaster for 1 years now and its still good to go. im 6' and have a 29" draw. my bow is 45# but it stacks a little at the last inch or so.My Wapiti spike longbow which is 60# is smoother though but you wont fail with the Bushmaster.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
What does "stacks" mean?

Online Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
A bow like the one you are looking at that is marked 50#, means that at a 28" draw it should pull 50#.  The convention is that for every one inch increase in draw length you would add 3# of pull; thus a 29" draw on the bow you are looking at would be expected to be about 53#.  This assumes a very linear weight to draw length, so at 27" the bow would pull 47#, at 28", 50#, at 29", 53#, at 30", 56# and so on.  The problem that Gil describes is that not all bows have this nice linear progression in draw weight, especially as the draw length increases.  On many bows, the draw weight increases much more than that average 3# per inch mentioned previously.  This increase is called "stacking". A bow is said to stack when the draw weight to draw length relationship is not linear and smooth.  Hope this helps.

Online Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
Another thought -  do you know that your draw length is really 28" on a recurve or longbow?  I ask this because, it may be 28" on your compound, but your anchor on a traditional bow is likely significantly different and thus your draw length may be different as well.  My recommendation would be to start with no more than 45# so that you aren't overbowed and quickly lose interest in shooting it because you end up struggling with it.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.  That helps a lot.  My anchor for my compound is close to where it is with a recurve so the draw length shouldn't change too much.  Maybe a half inch.  I use a t handle thumb release w/ my compound and anchor the back of my hand on my cheek.  I am going to shoot the 35lb Bear recurve for awhile until I get comfortable and then move up.  I may pick up another inexpensive bow around 40-45 to shoot also.  I'll try the 50# a couple of times to see if it's too much after I get it.

Offline donnyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
Matt if your draw is 28" with your compound you will most likely drop 1 to 2 inchs of draw with a trad bow due to leaning into the bow instead of the heads-up position that most compound guy use.  Most recurve shooters drop an inch and longbow shooters will drop a little more depending on the bow handle design,
I have a Bushmaster that I've shot for a number of years and the handle is a locator type grip so it's kind of in the middle between a recurve and a stright grip longbow.  I have found the Bushmaster to be a very good bow that shoots well and I think you have made a good chose.  I feel that 50# is not too much based on what you've been shooting.  Of course it would be nice if you could shoot the bow before you buy, but thats not always possible.
Do you know if the bow you are looking at has wood and black accents or white and gray?  If it has the wood and black accents it will not be Fast/flight string rated.  Note a big deal but just don't want to use a FF type strings on a bow not built for them.
Just a little more info. the Trad Barta bow that 3Rivers sells is built on the Bushmaster forms but just with a slightly different handle shape and with black glass and a maple core inplace of the Red Elm,clear glass, and the African hardwood in the handle of the Bushmaster.

Best of luck with your new found obsession and welcome to the world of traditional archery.

DJ
Love Life, Bowhunt, Flyfish, and Play a Martin Guitar                        :thumbsup:

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info everyone.  I'm glad someone suggested this site to me.  I've been looking over a lot of great info since joining.  Hopefully, I'll be able to add something to the forums once I get some experience.

I got the bow in today and here are the pics.  I think I got a pretty good deal on it.  I strung it and pulled it back a few times.  I didn't have too much of a problem holding it, but I can see how it could affect learning good form while starting out.  I still have my dad's old Kodiak which is 35# that I can practice on.  I was also thinking of picking up another one around 40-45 so I can give my dad his Kodiak back.  I'm still glad I got this one at 50 though.  With a little practice I don't think I'll have any problems with the weight.

Can anyone tell me the type of string that's on it now?  It has gray and brown accents on the riser and tips so I assume it's not the fast flight capable model.

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Nice looking bow you got there. Welcome and enjoy, but be forewarned, this stuff is addictive.

AA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©