3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making back quivers  (Read 856 times)

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
Making back quivers
« on: April 09, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
I am wanting to make a back quiver that stays up high on my shoulder so that I can get to my arrows.  What is the design secret to keeping it from sliding off my shoulder or spinning down my back.  Is it strap placement, material, design.  All help is appreciated.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making back quivers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
All of the above.  I like to put the top strap about half way from the center to the side.  Makes it ride just about right.  I also like a softer strap.  One thing I will design into my next one is a strap that goes around under my other arm.  This is I found it would be a good thing out stump shooting and bending in off hand positions would probably keep the quiver from sliding around.

Check out the build along on quivers and modify it to meet your needs.  That's where I got the ideas to make mine.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline jdupre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Quiver fit is a very personal thing. It's a good idea to experiment with cheaper materials to get a design you like instead of ruining a good piece of leather. A piece of thin carpet makes a good substitute for leather and allows you to try different strap positions.
Everyone has a different preference for quiver position. A friend of mine wears his quiver almost horizontal across his back and draws an arrow, not over his shoulder, but around the side of his arm. He loves it that way and I find it extremely awkward. To each his own.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
The last one I made I formed the strap around my body. Instead of making a straight piece of leather for the strap I made more of a "C" shape. I also attached it to the leftside of the top of the opening. This keeps the opening up nearer to my head. I glued and stetched sheepskin to the underside of the strap. This has helped to keep the strap from slipping around my body. I don't like the 2 strap idea because I want to be able to grab the strap and pull the quiver down and under my arm if I get in a real tight brushy place. With 2 straps you would have to unsnap one and then reattach it. So far I like this design. I am waiting for a coyote pelt to come back from the tanner to finish it off the top.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
I wondered about a Small Strap that One could adjust, with another persons help  :help:  . And Snap it Over Your Belt Loop.
  That way if "Nature Calls", unsnap and away ya go!! Just a thought.....  :rolleyes:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
Do you have any pictures snag.  I would like to see what you mean.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
Shell, PM is full.  What is the website you referred to that had some folders with designs?
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Biff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
"In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you haven't had a chance to meet yet!"

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
Thank you, Biff.  I assume that goes over your right shoulder?
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Biff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »

This third strap keeps my back quiver snug. If I have to go through brush, I can unsnap the extra strap and sling the quiver under my shoulder.
On the first picture of the shoulder strap, sew it temporarily, till it fits where you want it.
"In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you haven't had a chance to meet yet!"

Offline Biff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
Yes, I'm rt. handed. The shoulder strap has a curve in it, kind of curves around my neck. This strap arraingement makes the quiver totally adjustable.

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Cant see the second pic, biff.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
I PMd you some pics David.

Offline Crossed Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
dposalski:  I've made and worn and fiddled with a bunch over the years.  Use medium weight leather for body and strap with an extra 3" layer folded up from the bottom.  Use heavyweight leather for bottom protection and woolen felt inside the bottom for silence.  Make the strap adjustable and tighten it enough so that the quiver sort of molds to your back.  That will keep it in position most of the time and will keep your arrows from rattling around and falling out if you bend over.  I can jump up and down and actually jog with mine without it rattling.  Make the quiver 22" or longer so the bottom of the feathers will ride quietly inside the lip.  No need to use a second or third strap, they just prevent you from sliding the quiver under your arm when you are going through thick brush.  They also prevent you slipping the quiver on and off quickly and easily.  All of this is what Howard Hill taught us many years ago and as usual, he was right on.  The only difference I make is to attach the top of the strap halfway across the top of the quiver.  By doing this, the quiver stays more vertical with the fletching close behind my ear for a quick reload.  One more thing, don't load the quiver down with big pouches of stuff - that just makes it slip. You just need a small leather pouch with spare bowstring, wax and butane lighter. On mine, I also carry a small sharpening file in a slot between the overlapping seam.  Occasionally you will readjust the quiver's position with the elbow of your bowarm.  Find a bunch of dull, inexpensive leather and experiment until you get it just right, I think you will have fun doing it.  Good luck.

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Thanks Crossed arrows, excellent help.  Fantastic!!
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 03:16:00 AM »
I have been playing around with this all week. Trying to get the quiver just right for me. settled on (looking at the back of the quiver) top to the left side with strap angling out and the bottom on the right side. That's  what worked for me.  here's a pic of my newest one.

I use belt blanks from Tandy for my strap.  you can get them with some cool designs and stain them to match the quiver.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
I tried just about everything, but my upper arms are abnormally short and I just can't reach up and back over.   finally tried the Lakota-style side quiver and no more problems, either reaching the arrows or with the strap slipping...  just a thought if you've never tried one.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
I just got a piece of 9oz latigo leather today so I can get started.  Is that heavy enough for the bottom for broadheads or should I put it double thick?  Also, the double thickness should be around the base as well, right?
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©