3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: homade target  (Read 378 times)

Offline RaybowTx

• Trad Bowhunter
homade target
« on: November 24, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
I've been making bag targets for the last 20 years.  I'd like to shoot more broadhead practice but the foam targets are pricy for my income.  I was looking on the webl at foam materials and really havn't come up with an monitary solution.  Have any of yall found a raw / availiable material that makes a good target?  thanx.........Ray.........
na

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: homade target
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
straw bales or sand
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Neutron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
A good pile of dirt is the best target backstop there is. You can shoot at styrofoam cups and such.  Wish I had one in my backyard now as there is a 2117 burrowed in under the grass or into the very soft soil of my back yard right now that I can't find.  I had one go like 2 years before I caught a glimpse of it, my soil is too soft.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Get a feed bag and fill it with plastic bags  don't last to long with BH's shot in to them , But they work. You can also put them inside a bow and extend their life some.

Offline RaybowTx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
come on fellers.  I've done my time in dirt, hay and the such and have destroyed bag targets after the first shot to retrieve my first shot broadhead.  Sinthetic material is what I'm talking about. thanx though.......Ray......
na

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
We bought 9 big pipe insulation blocks from a guy down the street (around a dollar a square each one is about a 1.5 ft by 1 ft.). We placed them in three rows of three and built a wooden frame tightly arount them. When we shot out the middle block we replaced it with one of the side blocks and it lasted about a year and thats with me shootin around 20 arrows a day.

It worked great with braodheads.
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
go to home depot and get some of the insulation foam sheets. You can glue them together and cut out any shape you want.. Dick did one that looked like a Javie. You can also get the spray form Greatstuff and fill a box or feed bag and have a nice target.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
I built a sand pit , to hold the sand in a pile I built a frame around it with 4 corner posts 4X4 and quarter round decking boards on the sides . Never wears out .

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
here is the link to "Making Herman"... my foam broadhead practice javelina:

http://oldpharttsarchery.com/shooting-adventures/bigbadwolf/makingherman/makingherman.html

Worked really well.  I spent two and half weeks shooting him with broadheads and he's now in use with field points....    Have another hunt coming up early next year and will be broadheading him again.   Still hasn't needed any foam repair, which is as easy as squirting some Great Stuff into any area that becomes hollowed out.

Incidentally, practicing on him worked... I got my javelina!
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
That's a great tutorial, Dick.  Thanks for sharing with us.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline Jethro21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 01:44:00 AM »
Hey Dick, what was the total cost for that target?
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful- Psalms 1:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©