3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Purchasing Psychology 101  (Read 1306 times)

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Purchasing Psychology 101
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
Performance is first for me-meaning it shoots consistently. I've owned a lot of pretty bows, but none of them shoot as well as my hoyt gamemeaster
BD

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
Sure performance first,but on these days most bowyers make great performing Beauties
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
I want both and I've found both.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
I prefer to have both looks and performance.  If I dont like the looks of the bow, I wont keep it long.  If i dont like the performance of a bow, i wont keep it long.
>>>--------->

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
Nice looking bows Dick. I know a guy who said there's nothing worse than sitting on stand for hours on end looking at an ugly bow.
I have owned a lot of bows and I can't say that I was unhappy with the performance or shootability of any of the really nice looking ones.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Irish Archer:
And then how many of you really see a huge difference in performance between bows anyway.

I've shot more than a few "custom" bows and to be honest, I have not been blown away by any of them. Some were better looking and I just liked some over others.

I think people just like to buy a new bow now and then. Just my thoughts.
well said grasshopper ! its the indian not the arrow
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
mabey just mabey / i have a widow in my future
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
quite some years ago I expressed an interest in shooting a bamboo limbed longbow here on the Tradgang. Well; I immediately got a bow offered to me for just over $100 dollars. It was a Quillian bamboo hunter; with a cracked riser that had been glued up by Dean Torges.
 Not a beautiful bow to look at; as some are; but it tossed an arrow perfectly. The guy who sold it too me sent me an email that if I ever wanted to sell it- he would buy it back; and the same happened with the original owner.
 Both missed how the bow shot: over the looks of it.
 I think most people have a 'shiny go to church' bow; and a bow that never fails them.
 I think there are people that just live for the 'arch' in archery; and love to see how different bows toss arrows; and the feel of the bow; and the looks too.
 They shoot a bow; sell it and buy another and have a blast....err 'twang' doing it.
  I think though -that when I fall down hunting and check my bow for scratches; its to make sure it will still shoot: not if I can still cuddle it while sitting in front of the fire    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
If a bow shoots good for you you can learn to like its looks. If it looks good but doesnt shoot good for you you will never really like it. But like said above you can have both, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
Don,

What bows were the "WOW" bows.  Thanks.  Ken

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
Ken,I have shot two Beeler bows and two Hummingbird bows that "wowed" me. For the sake of mystery I won't tell what the others were.

Ever wonder how subjective it is, how a bow shoots for you? Some things like draw weight, smoothness of draw, hand shock, and speed are all things we mostly agree on. They are either within our perameters of acceptability or not. There seems to be some other intangibles though that are harder to define. I guess this is good though. Otherwise we would all want the same bows.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
It is all about the shooting for me.I wind up spray painting most any bow I hunt with so could care less about pretty woods in it.A bow is just a tool to me.If it don't make it work better I see no need in glueing extra stuff in it that paint or dipping is going to cover. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Don,

Now if you only want one of the two options.  By the ugly bow that shoots lights out.  But dang it!!

What the heck is wrong with a pretty bow that shoots lights out?

You can have both from a bunch of different bowyers.  You just have to spend the time finding the bow that fits you and then buying it.

Seems you have played with one fo ours for years and just end up walking away.  Maybe if you'd bought it, you wouldn't have started this thread.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
You might be right Mike. I shot one of your bows and it was shooting great. It could have been one of those "Wow" bows but I didn't shoot enough to qualify. I had made up my mind to get it after the show, but the show was a flop. I sold one bow (that I didn't take to sell) and broke another one. After that I decided to just try to get home without anything else happening.It's against my principles as a vendor to go home with less money then I started with.

Happy Thanksgiving Mike, Jason, and everyone!!
 :clapper:

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 01:14:00 AM »
My wife, my dog and my bow are all beauties.  They all perform wonderfully.  One of them is way better than I deserve.  Didn't test drive the wife, but she's been beyond great for 37 years.  The dogs the prettiest setter I've ever owned and I got her for free after following a pickup into the Humane Society parking lot.  She loves me almost as much as she loves birds.  My favorite bow is a work of art and it shoots great.  I guess I want the best of both worlds.  Like they say, beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clear through to the bone.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 04:38:00 AM »
I've been down that road. Order a bow that cost over a grand only to have it off in some way. Now that I've found one that's perfect it's going to be hard to duplicate. But I'm still tryen!!

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 06:55:00 AM »
All I want is a bow that is smooth, quiet and easy  to shoot.  Don't need alot of performance,  I'll camo paint it anyhow.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Sticks2117

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 07:11:00 AM »
I never look at my bows really I want performance!!!
Big Jims Thunderchild 53# @ 26"
Zbow Z58 TD hunter 55# @ 27" (RIP)
Ferguson Patriot by Bear 55#@28
Ferguson Redhawk 66" 60# @ 28
GN Critter Gitter 60#@28
LM North American Hunting Club
Wisconsin Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »
I'm not sexy or pretty, but I work hard to put food on the table for my family. Thats all I expect out of my bows, to shoot great and put food on the table. If its a plain jane then thats what I'll use. I would like to have a new bow but I think it would be a plain jane. I have bows that are older, plain and shoot great for me....Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
Give me a fairly plain looking bow that fits and shoots well and I am happy. Each to his own, but I don't quite understand why some want a half dozen different woods in the same bow. They appear far too busy, sort of like a woman blessed with natural beauty wearing too much make up. I call them floozy bows. But then again, if that floats your boat, go for it.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©