3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another bow-bolt question  (Read 334 times)

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
Another bow-bolt question
« on: November 27, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Finally had a day with an hour of no rain or wind to shoot. I was shooting my 'new to me' Shrew CH with bow-bolt. It seems the handle is just a bit bigger than I remember my Shrew Samurai one piece being. Am I imagining this or is it true?  The grip just doesn't seem to be that perfect fit the Samurai had.    I know some people have both in their possession now at the same time. What is the reality? Bow-bolt bigger handle or not? Thanks.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another bow-bolt question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
the handle on my Bow-bolt shrew is actually smaller than the one without.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
Greg,

Gregg Coffey can build them with slightly different sized grips, and I know he has done that by request at times, but the Bow Bolt does need some structure around it, so I would expect that a bow with the Bow Bolt would usually be as large or larger than one without a Bow Bolt. I have 2 almost identical Classic Hunters other than carbon backing and a Bow Bolt on one as opposed to the other. The one with the Bow Bolt undoubtedly has the larger grip of the two. I'm sure you are correct about yours. I am also sure that Andy's bows are as he has reported. If you want to know more, you can always ask Gregg.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »
Greg if you want the grip smaller you could take the leather off it if it has a leather wrap.I did that with my Samurai.Also if you still want a grip cover on it you may try the rubber roll on in place of the leather.It will be smaller with the rubber roll on vs the leather.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
Grips size will differ from bow to bow. Some of my McCullough Griffin bow bolts are larger than without.  Lucky my 54" Shrew Classic Hunter bow bolt is the exactly the same as my other two Classic Hunter 1pc bows.  You should talk to Gregg to see if he can take a little more off...but I'd certainly leave it to his discretion on a bow bolt.  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Greg,

Yes, I try to beef up the handles around BowBolts.  Sometimes a smaller grip is requested, so I try make them stronger with material choices.  

We've only had one wood failure around the BwBolts so far (solid gabon ebony).  But, I have been inclined to make the handles as robust as possible to avoid any future problems.  

BowBolts are a great take down system, and some care needs to be given to ensure a long life.

Gregg
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the info all. I really appreciate the answers to my questions. This is a great place to learn.

Gregg,
You do build a great bow. And I appreciate all your answers to my questions. I really like the Shrew grip but on a longer bow. I am looking forward to trying a Model-T.  I think that is the bow I have been wanting.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©