3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mecury nocks  (Read 279 times)

Offline jerry r baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Mecury nocks
« on: November 28, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »
what type problem
did  they have
was it a mis alinement problem
or a nock brakeage problem
i have 6 dozen made in 1987
found them in the corner of my shop
the shafts are straight grain cedar
are they safe to shoot
or should just let them retire
thank you
jerry

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mecury nocks
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 03:21:00 AM »
Shoot em. I have,and still use, my mercury nocks from long ago. I've never had any problems with them.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
I never had any issue with Mercury nocks except some of the white ones I got in 2001, and they were just very thin at the edge and wanted to split if you pushed them a little hard when seating them.  Other than that they are great nocks.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
My experience is about the same as Georges.  Except I had problems with the yellow ones.  Probably bought about the same time.  Before that, Mercury nocks were by far my favorite.

The problem I had with the yellow nocks was almost as if the hole was off center.  Since the hole is actually a cone shape, the nock ended up with the wall on one side being much thinner than the rest of it and usually the bottom edge was not flat on that same side.  You could spot them at a glance by looking for a dip in the edge on one side.  The thin wall did cause them to split when you pushed them on especially if using Duco Cement as it actually melts into the plastic a bit.

FYI, I've had pretty good luck removing glued on nocks by holding the shaft near the nock with a pair of rubber coated spark plug pliers and using regular pliers to twist and pull the nock off.  Worked best on nocks that hadn't been on for a long time and the amount of paint or clear on the arrow can make a difference too.  Sometimes you have to cut them off or risk damaging the shaft.

If your arrows look ok, I wouldn't worry about them at all.  In fact, the odds are good that you DON'T have bad nocks as they most likely would have been noticed by whoever built the arrows.  Even if they were crooked, I doubt they'd be a danger.  More of a tuning issue because of not being aligned with the arrow shaft.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Back then, Mercury's were my favorite nocks.  Plastic got a little thin later, as George mentioned.  Larger number had a misaligned taper as well.  That was my reason for quitting them.  If they're on your arrows straight, shoot them. No safety issues that I'm aware of.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
mercs were also my favorite...also had issues with the yeller ones as Dave mentioned.  About that time bohning classics came out.  Really love them!

As for pulling nocks, get a pot of boiling water, soake them till they get soft and then yank them off....or cut them a little bit on the shaft end..the plastic will be softer then the wood and cut easily without messing up the nock taper itself.  I've had issues twisting nocks off even when heated so I heat them up in the water, cut them back a good bit and then twist them off.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Used them alot in the past  :thumbsup:

Offline jerry r baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
yes i first thought i had died and went to hell when i first stared using the classic nocks
but like all things with the Good Lords
help I over came it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©