3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tutorial on mounting antlers  (Read 225 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tutorial on mounting antlers
« on: November 28, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
http://www.huntinroundwisconsin.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=58&func=view&catid=120&id=1658

I found this tutorial that I thought was pretty good. Just thought I'd share it. If you have any other info or a better way please post it. Thanks, David
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tutorial on mounting antlers
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
there was a local taxidermist who used spray foam instead of plaster of paris to build it up...otherwise the steps were the same.   Thanks for posting!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
That would work good. Spray it and then sculpt it?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
yup..ya mount antlers too the backing board like your link.  Then he used some heavy cardboard tacked to the side of the backing board to give it the outside profile shape.  Basically it makes the bowl so the foam isnt going everywhere.  Spray it, file it to shape, cover with leather and mount it all to your favorite plaque...nothing much different then the link you posted other then the foam spray instead of paper mache or plaster of paris.  They used it on moose racks up here as the plaster of paris is heavy, as is the moose antlers themselves.  Spray foam is LIGHT and easy to fix if it gets damaged.

You could also just buy the foam antler mounting plates from vandykes.  they look almost like a euro mount........basically screw your antlers to it, cover in foam or plaster of pairs again, file, cover with leather, mount to a plaque or mount to the wall as is.  Pretty simple and easier yet...there is no backer board needed as it's already part of the foam head.  Something you can build on your own once you have one using the spray foam and a piece of plywood for the backer board.  YOu'll need to make some kind of form for to spray into...nothing terribly difficult though.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Yup- spray foam works great. I use an oval backer board. I don't even worry about it expanding everywhere; a sharp knife and rasp shape it up quickly.

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
I cut the skull from behind the antlers and in a line above the eyes and out further down the nose.  This gives me a longer skull plate to work with.  I roll the skin back and borax it and let it dry.  I then mount the skull with an appropriately sized block of wood to support the brain pan mounted on the plaque.  I then epoxy the skull to the support and tack the skin in several places with small nails to the plaque.  This leaves the hair on around the antlers and gives the rack  nice look.  I have my first one I did 20 years ago, no issues.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Buckskin leather,either deer,elk or moose works easier than vegetable tanned cowhide,like in the video.It has a lot of stretch which helps it conform to the contour better.It can also be used for bow handle wraps.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©