3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: jack harrison bows??  (Read 598 times)

Offline missagain

• Trad Bowhunter
jack harrison bows??
« on: November 28, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
thinking of giving him a call monday ,but until then ,how does the ss shoot and is it a straight d shape or does it have some reflex in the limbs.and does anyone know the price last i heard was around 1200.00

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: jack harrison bows??
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
The only one I remember shooting was a "Hill" style, D-shape longbow.  It was a very average straight limb (or might have been a mild reflex unstrung--I forget) bow--smooth, quiet, slow, a lot of hand shock--like pretty much every other bow I've shot that was a similar design.

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
LBR you shot the HHC harrison hill classic and a lot of the HHCs were experemental bows that were sold off cheap before he perfected his design.  ive shot the experemental HHCs that were all you said and worse!  i have also shot the HHCs when they were perfected and they would shoot with or outshoot most RD longbows on the market today with no hand shock whatsoever.  thats why you have to be careful when buying an HHC.  anyways missagain, jack is in texas right now and will not be home to alaska until february.  he is no longer taking custom orders.  if you want a bow you will have to contact leo markert.  jack is making bows at his leisure and he will then send them to leo and leo and i will then do the selling.  the HSS is a great design.  he has a new TD system that is one of the best if not the best on the market.  it is strong as can be and light as a feather.  we have bows 100# and over with his TD system and no failures.  jack is using a brand new carbon that he has discovered and the HSSs are even faster now.  they are a fine bow and worth every penny.  jack also has a few new designs and they will be available this year sometime.  cant go wrong with a harrison
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Does anyone know if Harrison puts his name on his bows? I have a left hand longbow that I have been trying to sell for 3 years. It was given to me when I owned Sipsey River as a consignment bow to sell. The bow has no name on it. The guy I am selling it for says he bought it from someone in Alaska and he paid near $1200 for it. He cant not remember the makers name. Since this bow has no name on it I have been unable to sell it. Price started out at near $500 now we are down to $200 but because I can tell anyone who made it, it will not sell. Is there anyway I can tell if it is one of Harrisons bows?
John

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
I don't think that one was sold as experimental.  It was $800, and a "bare bones"  bow--no fancy wood, no fancy overlays, etc.--not what I'd call "cheap" at all.  It was several years ago, so they have had plenty of time to change.

Maybe I'll get a chance to shoot one of the better ones one day--I've never shot a straight or mildly reflexed limb that will hold a candle to a well made deflex/reflex, either in performance or lack of shock.

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
youre the expert i guess
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Not sure where that remark came from--like I said, I've only shot one of Harrisson's bows that I can remember.  

Seems they have a dedicated following--I'd like to shoot one of the ones that earned that following.  Never talked to the guy myself, but would like to hear straight from him what I've heard second-hand about strings, just to find out if what I see posted second hand is really what he thinks.

Offline longbowleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Chad my  name is Leo Markert and I have been with Jack since 1991 selling his bows and Helping him with research. What Justin Newell has said is true. It was my idea for him to come out with a Hill style longbow because that's what I learned on . Their were no R/d longbows in those days over 45 years ago. That's right I am up their in age. I will give you an invitation to my place anytime you can make it for I am retire to shoot some of Jack's longbows. I have just about every model Jack makes. Most of them are right Handed and one in the low sixties but most of them 70 to 100# and I try to shoot all of them. Each week I shoot with Justin on the weekends or during the week at our club in IN. right off 80/94, I have many other longbows and recurves that we compare smoothest in draw, speed, weight and most of all the ability to group or stability of the bows.
Justin and I shoot yardage's up to 100 yds to see what kind of cast bows have. Well I talk to much I guess that's a sign of old age but sure would enjoy you to come up the road and shoot some Harrison longbows and see how good of a long bow Jack really makes. Let us not talk but let loose some arrows at out club which has a 3D/2D course up year around. It would be my pleasure call me at 708-705-0090 and the bass pro shop is accross the road and we could have a good beer batter fish dinner. Experience the pleasure of shooting Jack's bow as Bob Wesley did and his comment is Jack Harrison longbows are the Rolls Royce of longbows. Regards Leo

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
I appreciate the invitation Leo, but IL is a bit far for me just to shoot a bow.  Do you come to any tournaments?  I hope to make it to Compton's again next year, but won't know until it's a lot closer.  The Jerry Pierce, TN Classic or the Howard Hill are a few I get to every year.

I don't claim to be any kind of longbow expert, I just prefer longbows and give my opinions based on my experience.  'Course my opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee in some places. Like the Wesley Special Bob was so proud of--I shot a couple of his personal WS bows, and, well.....I'll just say they weren't the bow for me.  Bob could shoot them just fine though.

I admit to being a skeptic, because over the years I've gotten all exited about shooting several different bows--until I got a chance to shoot them. I like to talk to tournament archers and see what they are shooting as well.  Harrisons are pretty rare in the Southeast as far as I can tell.

Like I said, maybe I'll get a chance to shoot one of those good ones one day.  I know you can't get a good feel for them all from just one bow--that's why I make it a point to mention I only remember shooting the one if I give an opinion on them.

Chad

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
Leo, I wish those you own were around 55 pounds and I would travel up to see you. I have wanted to look over and shoot a Harrison for a long time. Flint

Offline longbowleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
Chad I do not read magazines much anymore. But years back in Wilsonville Al. was the last Howard Hill longbow championship shoot that Jerry Hill sponsor. At the end of the shoot they auction off a lot of the moving targets. Does someone else sponsor a Howard Hill longbow championship? If so where? Rules and regulation then and previous were strictly legal longbows and wood arrows is that the same??
Thanks Leo

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Since you guys are talking about Harrisons I have a friend that has a mint Black Wolf, Could you tell me anything about them? I have never shot a Harrison. One of the few bows I have never shot.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Yes, Jerry quit putting on the original HH several years ago--I shot at that one several times.

Terry Harris started putting on the Howard Hill Southeastern Championship.....5 years ago, I think.  Excellent tournament, held at Tannehill State Park in McCalla, AL (just South of Birmingham).  Not too far from Wilsonville.

I think the classes are basically the same, but no moving targets.  Still a fun and challenging tournament--and this one doesn't usually get rained on like the old HH did.  There's several threads about it on the Traditional Events forum.

Offline longbowleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Thanks Chad, I will look into it and maybe see you their this year, got to see if they still shoot wood and their regulations. Again thanks for the information, Leo

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
John a bow preference is a personal thing. Some people like a certain bow while others don't. I would recommend that you try one before you buy, if that is possible. I have been into archery for 50 years. For most of my adult life I had two bows that I shot and hunted with for 35 of those years. With the advent of the Internet and sites like this one, I have been able to try and test over 100 bows in the last several years with a friend of mine. My personal preference has become a Jack Harrison longbow. I own 8 of them. Until I shot and owned one of Jack's bows I never had the urge to collect any bows. I have a El Lobo that is my primary bow. I will put that bow up against any recurve or longbow in regard to handshock, performance and craftsmanship. I have shot it against many of both. Like I said though they aren't for everyone. My friend shot all the same bows (except longbows) I shot and he hates longbows and won't even hold one.

Here is a picture of the limb profile for three of Jack's bows. The top picture is a HSS, the middle is a El lobo and the bottom is a Black Wolf.  

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
thats a very nice picture Gil!  youre missing the best one though;)

Offline missagain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
jack just emailedme back he is in texas  and said he wont start makeing some until may,and said he will contact leo and see what he had.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »

Does this look like one of his bows?
John

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
John

Offline missagain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
hey leo i remember shooting at wilsonville at the moveing targets ,had an aligator charging you ,terry harris has been putting on a howard hill shoot for the last 5 years,it is a blast. started small ,each year it gets bigger ,last year had over 500 shooters ,for as wood arrows ,its manditory, only in primitive class.come on down its the first weekend of june ,or you can pm terry harris on here ,im sure you would enjoy it ,and if ya do bring them harrisons down ,would love to see them and fling some arrows with you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©