3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Summit Climbers  (Read 602 times)

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
Summit Climbers
« on: November 29, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has anyone experience with the summit line of climbing treestands.  I have looked at the lone wolf, and even used a borrowed one a couple of times.  They sure are solid and quiet, and pack down nice...BUT they aren't very comfortable, and man they are expensive.  Summit seems to be reputable but I am looking for any first hand experience.  Do they pack up ok?  Solid for climbing?  Can you shoot a longbow out of them decently?  Can you shoot a longbow out of the ones with the wrap around bar?  Any opinions would be great.

Thanks,

Nathan

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Summit Climbers
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
I had one without the wrap around bar.  It had an inflatable seat and it was really comfortable.  It packed nice and was a good stand.  I sold it because I wanted to go with the hang on and climbing sticks because I could put it in most any tree without trimming a lot.  Good luck.

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
I have been using the lone wolf stand and sticks for years.  Where I used to hunt it was very adaptable for the reasons you where talking about.  The new area that I am hunting seems to have a lot more trees that will accomodate a climber so I thought it would be nice to have both to suit conditions.

Nathan

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
If I'm sitting for a long time it's Summit all the way very comfortable. try the Goliath you can sleep in them.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
I just bought the realtree outfitter bushmaster which is really a summit with realtrees name on it.I like it alot and its priced right.I bought mine last month from Cabelas for 179.00 and found it to fel solid in the tre and very comfortable.I can easily shoot my longbow from it.

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
I have the summit viper with the wrap around bar.I keep the top section low so I can stand and shoot.

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I was looking at that bushmaster as well, but I can't tell what the difference is between the open shot and the bushmaster?  I also saw the viper and that looks way comfy, but wasn't sure if I could shoot out of it.

Nathan

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
Anybody know what model is in that youtube video?

Nathan

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
I believe the openshot has slightly smaller side rails. I have a bushmaster now and really like it. in a few years when i buy a new one I'll be getting the openshot unless something new is out. I like the lower side rails because it makes it easier to shoot.

And for your question my summit is super comfortable, easily packed and quiet as long as you dont bang it into trees as your walking.   :)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
Nathan,

When I plan to sit for the whole day, I really, really try to find a tree I can put my Summit in.  I have the Python I believe.  I've taken all the extra "bars" off it so it looks like any of the open front ones like the Viper.

I think the key to the comfort is the backrest part of the seat.  So much so, I bought an extra seat to covert a Lone Wolf climber at some point.

If you can find one of the Summits that folds flat I think that would be the ultimate.  Whatever you do, get the open front; don't think you need the "sit and climb" capability.  You are young and fit--if I can use my Summit as a hand climber, you will look like a squirrel going up the trees   :D  

With that said, I sat 3 days last week all day in my Lone Wolf Assault...it wasn't as bad as I remember!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
Guys i own over 7 climbers and just bought a Summit open shot deluxe and it is the best stand i have ever used for trad hunting. I sold my lone Wolf the summit is way more comfortable and climbs so much easier. This thing digs into a tree and is solid as a rock. The seat is very comfortable and folds up out of the way when you stand up for a shot. Im 6 2 230 and feel really stable while climbing and sitting. You cant go wrong with this one.

I would also add that i strap my back pack to the back of it and it is a joy to carry. Its real light and packs down to nearly nothing. Trust me on this one you will love it.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline leftybearfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
I hunt out of a Summit Goliath 95% of the time. I set the upper portion fairly low and can shoot a 64" longbow without any problems as long as the deer isn't directly below me (under 5 yds). If I set the upper portion higher, it restricts my ability to make close shots.

The stand is pretty hefty (20lbs or so), but the comfort and stability are well worth the extra weight.
"It's easier to do the right thing, than to explain why you didn't."

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
Nate,

I have a Razor which give you the best of both worlds IMO...Sit-n-Climb capability with the option of folding the bar behind you for open front shootability.

I shoot a 60" longbow out of mine but there is some loss of shooting area towards the back of the stand. I have learn to live with it and set my stands so I have plenty of back cover and no reason to need to shoot back there.

Summits are a little clunky but can be silenced with minimal work. Setup and take is easy and pack up is not an issue once you get your routine down. They are very solid climbers... safe and comfy.

I have tried a lot of stands over the years and most were really good stands but for me Summit is the best choice.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
Chris,

Maybe you could start another thread for us on "improving" the Summit...

I could add how to make a home made version of the Summit Stirrup.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
I just sold a bushmaster! they don't pack up very tight and my platform creeked when I moved. a buddy of mine has a lone wolf and its solid and very quiet but as far as being comfortable the summits are that and considerably cheaper! JMO!! Jason

Offline Dave McDaniel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
If your Summit stand squeeks you need to file off the powdercoat on the gripper teeth that make contact with the tree.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Summit has great customer service. I had a problem with some noise as mentioned above. I gave them a call and they shipped me a new platform. I have the bushmaster model and really enjoy the stand.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
I've used a Summit Goliath for years.  Very comfortable, and excellent customer service if you have a problem.  I normally hunt with a 66" longbow, but have shot a 72" selfbow from mine.  You do need to practice shooting from it before you hunt.  I set the bar a little low and stand with my legs against it when I shoot.

Chad

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
I love my Bushmaster
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©