3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pop-Up Blind height  (Read 377 times)

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
Pop-Up Blind height
« on: November 29, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
I am interested in getting an inexpensive pop-up ground blind. What height does it need to be to effectively use a bow. I am 6 feet tall and am shooting a 58" Bear Grizzly recurve. Any suggestions on models would be appreciated too.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pop-Up Blind height
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
I would like to know this very same question.
TTT

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
Lot of guys recommend the double bull. However it is not inexpensive. I have a blind called the 4 season ligntning set from Cabela's that is pretty good. I bought it because it is 78" tall which is higher than most. I shoot a 64" longbow and have no problems
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Yeh, a double bull would be nice but not on the cards at the moment. Do you like the 4 seasons. How easy is it to set up and carry in, etc.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
I'm 6'3" and have difficulty shooting out of most double bulls...my top limb likes to slap the top of the blind.  I have found that the Primos Brand blind is very good due to it's height.  It pops up very similar to the Double Bull and is much less expensive.  Bass Pro keeps them in stock.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Check out the Penthouse blind, offered by Ameristep, I do believe.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
ameristep penthouse.  this is a real good pop-up for cold weather too.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Yeah, a third vote for the penthouse.  I also use the Primos Excursion Plus with a 64" longbow.

More important than the height can be the placement of the shooting ports.  You can have a blind that's tall enough inside, but where the ports are located so high that you can really get a decent shot.  In fact, one of the best blinds I've hunted out of was a tiny little $50 pop-up blind.  It had a triangle-shaped door that I propped open a little and shot through.  I could sit on my knees and stick a gobbler pretty easy.  However, my view was limited and sitting on my knees just wasn't that fun.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline the force

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
I have an ameristep brickhouse and shoot a bear griz it was $120 and it works good for me im close to 6 foot and its a little shorter than me
Hoyt Tiburon

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 02:29:00 AM »
My Yukon has been so cool - and this is not my first blind. I am 6-3 and shoot a 72 inch bow. It takes literally about 12 seconds to put up ( not including tying it down- but you don't always have to do that).

I intend to take a deer from it within a week. Unless my wirehair pops the pups out.....    :rolleyes:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 02:38:00 AM »
waiting4fall : that blind at 2:22 looks like a land shark !!   :scared:    Its a good blind; I like the hub blinds better; as I never mastered the twist needed to put up the band saw blade blinds. That does look like a good blind except for that one view.
 I am anxious to take something from a blind like these - I am usually stalking or hiding in brush; but with the zero temps coming... a blind looks real good to me.    :thumbsup:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. maybe Santa will be good to me

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
Depends if you're sitting. I have an Ameristep "doghouse" blind which is just shy of 6' in the middle and has plenty of room to draw and shoot. I sit way back against the back wall which has the door and no shooting window. I also use a 52 Red Wing Hunter which fits almost anywhere. I usually kneel to shoot actually. Just works better for me since I'm more stable that way and eye level with the window. I recently saw these on sale at Cabelas for about $69 new. That's a great buy on a quality blind. Good zippers, membrane over the windows, pops right up in an minute. If not windy and just for a day, I've set mine up with no ground stakes and what's great is I can move it just by standing up and walking inside the thing

I've also left it pitched for over a month and it stayed up just great. Got in like I pitched it yesterday.

Sam

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
Thanks Sam. I saw those to. I may look more closely at them, now that someone here has used it and liked it. What do you use for a seat in one of those.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Primos Escape Deluxe. It is 75" and we shoot 64" recurves uncanted in them. Seat height is important though.

Offline LONGBOWSFOX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:  GO WITH RON LA CLAIR ....HINDEN HUNTER BLINDS OUT OF IRON WOOD MICHIGAN ..MADE IN MICHIGAN THE BEST BLIND I HAVE EVER USED...!! GREAT 64" LONG BOW USED AND I AM 6"4" AND 250.. BIG GUY ROOM FOR TWO IN BLIND.
LONGBOWSFOX

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
Those blinds of Ron's look good but are out of my price range at the moment. May wait until after season sales start to pick something up. All this info is very helpful. What do you guys use for seats in your blinds.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
yukon tracks enforcer elite.

I can shoot standing up, AND the windows are cut low enough I can shoot sitting down, for UNDER 200

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©