3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which sleeping pad?  (Read 183 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Which sleeping pad?
« on: November 29, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Best for warmth that is light weight and easy to pack?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which sleeping pad?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Big Agnes Insulated Air Core.  

You can thank me after your first night sleeping on it   :)

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
How cold are you talking about?  If it doesn't get much below 25-30 degrees I use a ThermaRest Z-Rest closed cell foam mat.  They're cheap, light, and will keep you warm if you put a space blanket underneath, use a good bag, and wear a stocking cap.  The don't fold down very small, however.

If it gets much colder than that, I use a DAM (down-filled air mattress) that is insulated with 800 fill down. There are lots out there to choose from.  They're ultralight, ultra-compact, ultra-warm, ultra-cozy, BUT ultra-expensive!  They also lend themselves to punctures, which can lead to dangerous situations in the winter if your mat goes flat and you can't repair it adequately.  However, DAM's do often have the highest R-value.  Just don't sleep with your broadheads!

One more thing...if you get an inflatable mattress, get one that is self inflating.  All those of good quality designed for winter use will be.  Then, be patient enough to let it inflate itself.   It will take longer in winter.  You DON'T want to blow air into the pad, as the condensation could freeze when you roll it up and put it inside your pack the next day.  This ain't a good thing!    :eek:
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
I went with the Wiggy's superlite. I'd like to be comfy at 0 to 15 degrees but doubt I'd ever intentionally sleep out in that temperature range.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
I liked the little pads I used when I was in the Army. IMAO nothing beats a Good Fire bed.

Fire Bed, A pit/ditch dug in to the ground just about a foot or so deep and fill with hot coals. Cover with dirt so you don't burn up, and You can stand temps down to -5 deg's if need be. Survival 101

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Steve O.,  What's your sleep number?

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
2nd the Big Agnes

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
For backpack camping, I use a Ridgerest closed cell foam pad because it is light and works well enough when used correctly.  Lay it on a bed of leaves, pine bows or loamy soil.  They weigh less than a pound and can be lashed anywhere.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
Mike,

I don't know my Sleep #, but I do know that my 15oz. BA IAC matress is more comfortable than my bed at home   :D

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
BA's rock! If you have a Wiggys bag get the 25" BA insulated Air Core.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©