3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great Experience on My 2009 KS Deer  (Read 432 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Great Experience on My 2009 KS Deer
« on: November 29, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »

I am rarely public about my hunting stories.  While any deer is special, this was a great trad hunting adventure.  The scouting, hunting on the stealth, and tracking makes for one of those great stories.  

My home state here in KS on November 1. . .light rain. . .bucks just starting to cruise.

First day in a new area. . . have just 2 days to hunt. . .will never hunt here again (being leased for big $$ from non-residents; bummer, but do not blame the farmer).  I studied aerials for a couple of years. . . arrive 2:00. . . short scout.  Bingo! . . . just what I think I am looking for.  Set-up on the portable/stealth at 3:00.  Three does later, he comes in at 5:40- just before dark. . . 8-10 yds hard quartering away.  

Shot well off the one side of his spine in the third to last rib high. The arrow path seemed it would take the arrow into the center of the heart between the front legs.  He ran off with 10" arrow sticking out.  (BW SA curve- 55# at 31” draw.  32” GT trad arrows with 250 gr. up front.)  

High shot with no apparent exit gave minimal blood.  An hour after dark I find a little blood at about 40 yards out.  With light rain and lots of CRP, standing crops, and yotes I hated to let it go until morning.  What to do?  The rain was to stop and frost was expected.  I hate to destroy the evidence. . . I decide to wait.  I slept in my camping rig- it’s called my Ford Explorer!  

At first light I picked up the trail at the 40 yd. mark.  . . . 90 minutes later still on my hands and knees as I followed literally a small rain drop with a tinge of red or a pea-sized smudge on vertical stalks of grass/weeds every 8-10 feet or so.  (These were thick weeds planted to hold pheasant). . .  I gained 35-40 more yards!  This leads me to the edge of a muddy, newly planted wheat field. . . many tracks. . .following the wrong ones then returning to the beginning point- I finally follow a running track that eventually yields one very small drop of rain soaked blood on a 1" sprout of wheat.  60 or so yards further I noticed skid marks in the mud.  The tracks lead me to a large weed/marsh/CRP-ish area (needle in a haystack! A pheasant even tried to fly and got knocked back down by the thick weeds!).  Once there, I began finding more and more blood.  YES!  YES!! YES!!!

150 yds + from the beginning hit- there he lay.  Just as I suspected; I took out one lung and centered the heart, burying the arrow in his chest/sternum. He was probably dead before my knees started shaking while still in the stand.  All the blood was from aspiration (nose).

This was just a blessed and amazing experience.  Alone with the Lord in a quiet and fairly remote place. . .He weighed just under 200# field dressed two days later.  For those who know taxidermy/cape measurements- he was an amazing 8” from corner eye to tip of nose; 22.75” at ear base; with 25” at my 2nd mark. He is in my top five heaviest deer I have been blessed to harvest.  

The only downfall was the best hunting was yet to come. Hard to pass on such a majestic animal though. . .More stories to tell another day. . .

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline bowhawk archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great Experience on My 2009 KS Deer
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
Super buck Dan!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
Lordy, thats a hoss!  Great animal!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
Wow!

You sir are one heck of a deer hunter.   :thumbsup:

Congratulations on a well earned trophy.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
Very awesome buck.I was in KS last week and did some scotting for next year.Just wondering your choise of broadhead on this hunt.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
Cool story, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to another day and more.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Some broadheads that were a gift. . . made by German Kinetics- I think someone told me they were some early proto-type runs (??).  160 gr. is  all I know.  I know they are were scarey sharp out of the box- still learning to sharpen them to that level again.

KME is helping. . . still learning the art.  Seems they were sharp enough for this deer though!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
What a nice buck.  Congratulations and thanks for the story.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
I actually said "WOW" and threw my head back when I opened up this thread.  That is one heck of a deer.  If that is in the top five I'd like to see the others.  Awesome story and nice pics.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Beautiful Buck and Great Story Dan.....Congratulations
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
Just as you described via E-mail Dan....super!!!!

I think I have suggested before, you should really log all of your hunts into a book!!!

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
Very nice buck and good story and blood trailing. Those sparse trails are fun when they are over but nerve racking when you are on em! Well done!

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
Congrats on a great buck, and great perserverance on that blood!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 02:37:00 AM »
Dan,
I feel so bad for ya...ya know, that you had to settle for that deer instead of a big one, LOL!

Congrats!  I think the he even looks bigger in the second pic!

Chip
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 03:09:00 AM »
That is truly an awesome deer...I would love to take one like that with a bow someday!

I understand taxidermy only in I had my biggest one take the same eye to nose measurement, exactly 8"...he was right at 200 dressed also.  I was lucky in that the farmer drove his truck to the deer and I didn't have to drag him!  That cart through the CRP doesn't look fun but would be worth it!

Nice deer!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 03:42:00 AM »
Fantastic! Congratulations!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 05:21:00 AM »
I too understand taxidermy and that is a big whitetail , congrats and please share stories in the future !

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 05:45:00 AM »
Great buck Dan! Thanks for sharing the pictures and story.
Keith Karr

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 06:21:00 AM »
Great looking buck.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  ! Sorry to hear about your farm being leased. It seems to be the way things are going in alot of places.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
That is an incredible buck Dan! Congratulations!   :thumbsup:   Great tracking job too! You da man!   :clapper:    :clapper:

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©