3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hello from Vegas, Baby!  (Read 658 times)

Offline Alisa

• Trad Bowhunter
Hello from Vegas, Baby!
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
Hello to everyone!

I am a brand new member here.  My daughter got a taste of archery at a Harry Potter event we were at in November, and now is obsessed and has been asking for a bow for Christmas.

We were travelling through ID, when we ran into an old friend of ours, and as luck would have it, her husband is Mike Mecredy of Maddog Traditional Archery.  

It was just too serendipitous to pass up!  So we ordered her first custom longbow and a dozen arrows.  Needless-to-say, Sierra is bouncing off the walls excited.  

Mike suggested that we join TradGang.  We have a lot to learn (wow!).  What we probably need the most is information regarding archery in Las Vegas.  I would love to get her some lessons and find a place for her to practice.  

Can anyone out there give us some guidance?  

:archer:

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hello from Vegas, Baby!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
Welcome to the   :campfire:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
NO suggestions from that far away... but I can tell you to monitor that girl's time on Gang or her grades will drop.  :)

That is if she's like most of us who spend more time here than we should!   :knothead:    :banghead:

Welcome to the Gang and keep reading all the different forums. Get some videos and books, if you can't find someone close by to help give her some basic instructions.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful world here on TG, great folks here, the best!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Welcome

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
See if your schools offer the National Archery in the Schools program.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Welcome to the fire

Offline Alisa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.  

Sierra is 9, and she goes to a charter school, so I'm relatively sure she doesn't have access to the National Archery in the Schools program.  We're open to some private lessons...we just need to find someone.  

Her younger brother is almost 5, and I know he's going to want to do this as well.

Videos are a great suggestion.  Especially with Christmas around the corner.  Are there any good ones geared to girls or kids?

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Welcome to the addiction of traditional archery! Glad to see more folks getting their kids into the sport.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
Hello and welcome to Tradgang!

Ddepending on your local ordinances, you may be able to set up a target in your yard.  If not, a lot of guys practice in their garage or basement.  Either would have plenty of distance for a 9 and 5 year old to learn and have fun.  A basement under a ranch style house can sometimes provide pretty good shooting.  I expect though that many homes out your way do not even have them and are just built on a slab.  If your yard is fenced, you might be able to have someone build you a backstop against the side of the house that is big enough to catch any stray arrows and shoot towards your house.  Shooting in other directions sometimes makes neighbors nervous.

One thing for sure, realize that bows are NOT toys.  Even a kids bow with target arrows can cause serious injury or even death.  NEVER allow your kids to just take them out on their own and shoot unsupervised.  Always stress safety and if two of them are shooting, make sure that they are not standing too close together and that they are both the same distance from the target.  Never allow one to shoot from say 10 yards and the other from 15.  Kids are kids and accidents can happen.  Treat bows like guns.  NEVER let them point their bows at each other or anyone else even in "fun" with no arrow.  A good rule to follow is that unless they are both ready and standing at the shooting line, they do not even put an arrow on the string.  If they see you are serious about them following the rules, you should have no problems.  Kids love shooting bows so much that it's pretty easy to say, "well, if you don't want to do it the right way, you can't shoot at all."  They almost always agree to do it the right way!  Might even be able to use their archery time as an incentive to behave...

On the plus side, archery is a great way to instill basic discipline and responsibility.  Now, you need to go out and get yourself a bow and join in the fun!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Tractor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
Alisa,  do a google search for a JOAD (Junior Olympic Archery Development) club in your area.  I too have kind of stumbled into Archery through my two girls, 9 and 7.  The seven year old had a hankering to learn and when I was in a local Gander Mountain, I heard about JOAD.

We (Well the girls and me vicariously) have been going for the last couple weeks and they love it.  The teachers are great and seem to really enjoy helping the kids learn the craft.  I have been getting very jealous.

Also, I seem to have developed this insatiable urge to build a bow.

Mike

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
Welcome to the   :campfire:  .  Your daughter has started a journey that can lead to a lifetime of enjoyment, and to an extent even alter the trajectory of her life in a positive way.  I hope she takes you and her brother along, and that a wonderful time is had by all.  Scouting might be a source to look into for fundamental instruction, and don't forget that you are acquainted to a terrific resource in Mike. I'm sure he would probably help you to find whatever you seek.
Molon labe

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
Google "archery clubs in vegas"

And welcome to the gang!

:D
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
Welcome to the group.I do know that Vegas has a lot of tournaments you may be able to go to a local archery shop and find info on training.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
Gordy Morey (sp?) used to build custom bows in Vegas (lightning longbows), maybe you can find a phone number for him and he can get you some local info.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Welcome to the Gang, and enjoy the journey!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Up top of page on the right, lower pic is the following link for kids and bowhunting, unless you're averse to going that direction with the archery.

http://web.mac.com/jeffapel/Straight_Arrow_Productions_LLC/The_Journey_Begins_DVD.html

Click on 3Rivers Archery link and check out their many books and videos on shooting form, tuning bows, etc.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
Las Vegas Archers has a lot of shoots and a cool 3d couse in the foothills. I think its lasvegasarchers.net Also Dan the owner of Pacific Archery Sales has indoor weekly shoots at his store and also has held 3d shoots behind sam boyd stadium off of Boulder Highway. Not a lot of Traditional archers in Las Vegas. I was born and raised there and moved to Oregon a year and a half ago. WELCOME!
Bob

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
Let's keep this up top and see if any TradGangers from Las Vegas show up. I was about Sierra's age when I got bitten by the archery bug. She's lucky to have such a cool mom!

Doesn't Dano live near there?   :saywhat:  
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
Welcome.  You've joined a great group of very helpful people.

One thing that's worth thinking about, especially if the interest holds, is a trip to Rick Welch's school in Arkansas.  You guys are too new to archery to have any bad habits yet, so it might be worth the time and money to go acquire some good ones right off the bat.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©