3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coolest thing you've seen while bowhunting?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Chris40

• Trad Bowhunter
Coolest thing you've seen while bowhunting?
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
I thought this would be an interesting topic to start.  One of the reason I hunt is to enjoy God's great outdoors and observe the critters doing their thing.
It's truley amazing what I observe when I'm bowhunting when the animals don't know I'm there.
  Here's something I whitnessed one Saturday evening that made the whole hunt.
  I was sitting in a natural ground blind I made up and watching this little grey squirrel trying to manage this big acorn along this branch above my head.  A cooper's hawk came in and nailed that squirrel 5 feet above my head and took him to another branch 20 ft away and got it situated and flew off with it....What an awesome experience.    I've had a few Sharp Shinned Hawks land close to me, but have never seen anything like that.
USN Retired 1984-2006
God Bless the USA

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coolest thing you've seen while bowhunting?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Usually see something cool each and every time I'm out and about. One that sticks in my mind was while elk hunting years ago.

We were in a small timbered canyon and had 4 or 5 bulls close that were all bugling steady. A thunderstorm was going pretty good several miles to the southwest as we could hear loud thunderclaps, and after several loud bangs the bulls would all bugle.

Across a little draw were some big old growth yellow pines and all of a sudden a bolt of lightning hit a big pine and it literally exploded into pieces! One big sliver landed about 25 yards from us.

The thunder when it hit was the loudest thing I've ever heard! The bulls went quiet for a couple minutes, then slowly began bugling again.

Taking no chances, my brother retreated to the bottom of the canyon as fast as we could to wait out the storm.

It was quite a rush, especially when I was already stoked with adrenaline because of the nearby bulls.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
i saw a similar thing with redtailed hawk / took squirrel off side of tree down on ground for coupe de gras, then made off with him / today saw probably best buck fight i've everseen / they were serious not just bump and shove like most times ! very exciting
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Was sitting in my stand Sat. afternoon and saw two bald eagles flying around me making acrobats in the air.I was not sure they were eagles but I know they were huge and could see the white head but had not hunted my club yet this year.When I got back to camp I asked if I was seeing things and others had seen them the last month. To some eagles are not rare, in Louisians it has only been a few years some have come and those were near Tolodo Bend and Homua so this was a great sight.Kip

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
In 1984 I went on My first Elk hunt with a bow. We were hunting outside of Hayden Co. and it rained on us at least once a day and usually twice.

I was taking refuge under a pine one afternoon from a sudden cloudburst and hail shower. Like always it only lasted 10 to 15 min. You know just enough to drench You.

It ended as quick as it started and a very bright sun emerged from the clouds producing a small rainbow on the other side of the draw from where I sat. The base of the rainbow was only 100-120 yds. wide and it wasn't much taller. I've seen many rainbows in My life but I had never seen the end of one, let alone both ends at the same time! It followed the shadow of the clouds and rapidly climbed to the top of the hill and out of sight. Something I will always remember.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
I also saw a redtail get a gray squrril off a log.Twice I been close to fox squrrils that fell asleep and hit the ground.High from top of popular trees both lived.Although not bow hunting I once saw a a red fox attack a ground hog and lose.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
Being face to face with a doe at 200 yards to start with, then slowly getting within 50 yards of her, with us both walking towards each other! She may not have known what I was, but she definitely knew I was there. We were in a large pasture. That was a new one for me. Usually, even the curious does won't do that.

p.s. Same night, I saw an all black squirrel, except that the last 2" of his tail was pure white.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
while i was turkey hunting this past spring  i had two decoys in the middle of a  clover feild .one strutting tom and a one hen. i had two hens come in and start feeding. all the sudden they looked up in the sky and and started putting and ran off the feild. a immature blad eagle swooped down and picked up my globbler decoy and took it about 20 foot in the air and dropped it. i guess he reaized it was fake. that was pretty cool!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
A few years before this hunt we had our club clear cut of pines(not hardwood bottoms), sprayed with herbicide and replanted in pines.
  I was sitting in a grove of white oaks just off of the clear cut. The acorns were heavy that year and there were probably 50 redheaded woodpeckers collecting nuts from the oak trees and putting them in holes in some standing dead trees along the perimeter. After watching this for an hour or so I noticed a few squirrels heading to the top of the fruiting oaks.
  Well, the woodpeckers were not going to allow those pesky tree rats have their nuts so, for the rest of that morning hunt, I watched the woodpeckers reek havoc on the squirrels. They were so relentless the squirrels gave up!

On another occasion I was sitting over a cane bottom. I caught movement about 100yards away then noticed it was a mom coon with 4 or 5 kits. I watched them walk in single file to a very big long leaf yellow pine then one by one climb straight up that tree, mom in the lead. The first limbs on this pine were at about 50' and probably a safe place for a day time nest for the coons. Just before the last kit got to the limb it missed a step and fell to the ground....bounced a few times, got up and climbed back to the limb where his family waited. It hurt me to watch but apparently he took it in stride.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Well, the coolest thing I ever saw was something I wrote about on here in the articles and stories section but I went ahead and copied and pasted it below.  It's a little longer than a standard post, but I thought it was pretty cool.
======================================================

The Second Button Down

by Dave Bulla

Ever had a mouse fall on your chest inches from your face when you were asleep in the woods? No? I did and it tends to give you a reason to stay awake if you know what I mean. In my case three Novembers ago, it gave me about a half hour of special memories to cherish.

It was one of those perfectly crisp November days when a wool jacket and pants feels just right and the afternoon sun gets just warm enough to induce a sleepy feeling while you are snuggled down on a hillside waiting for something to happen. I'd been set up on the southeast side of a wooded bluff topped by a shelf of broken rock and overlooking a timbered creek bottom. The rock shelf made a decent back rest and being on a hill I got the feeling I was in a recliner. Three draws came together below me and my hope was to ambush a nice Missouri whitetail as it came from it's bed at the upper end of one of the draws. I fidgeted around a bid to get as comfortable as possible and ended up more or less laying on the ground with only my head and shoulders propped against the rocks and my longbow across my legs. After several uneventful hours I had reached that quietly alert, almost hypnotic state when you are totally relaxed in body and your eyelids get droopy but your ears and other senses are highly tuned and waiting to hear distant footsteps long before any animal is visible. I watched through half lidded eyes as plate sized sycamore leaves fell lazily to the ground fifty and sixty yards away and marveled that I could hear them tic past small twigs on the way down to the ground where they rustled to a stop atop others that had already fallen. This was my favorite part of bow hunting. Being so relaxed yet so attuned to the sights, sounds and smells of the autumn woods without a care in the world. Just the persistent and pleasant hope that you will see an animal or something special, something unanticipated or new that you've never seen before.

Between the warm sun and my comfortable position, I was soon so close to sleep that I could scarcely claim I was awake but I was alert enough to hear a very high pitched squeaking sound to my right about six feet away. When I rolled my eyes that way I was surprised to see a little brown deer mouse come out of the leaves with four or five very tiny, still hairless babies clinging to her. Some were clamped down on a teat and some were hanging on to her back and Mamma was having a tough time getting anywhere. What was she doing? Why was she out and about with those tiny babies? I couldn't think of an answer so I just watched to see what I could learn. For some reason she decided to climb up a little three inch diameter sapling to about four feet high. Suddenly, one of the babies lost it's hold and fell, landing in the leaves. It began a pitiful squeaking. This was getting interesting. I was totally engrossed and wondered how Mamma with all her other babies would handle the situation. Well, Mamma seemed to know her business and climbed down the tree and gathered the fallen baby in her front paws and gave him a bath right there fussing over him and acting for all the world like any human mother who just had a close call with one of her children. She then cradled him between her forearms and chin while making her way towards the rocks I was leaning against and disappeared from my field of view somewhere to my right never knowing she was within feet of me.

I lay there thinking how rare it must be to see something like that and surprisingly, about how pretty that mouse was with her soft brown colored body over a creamy white belly, little jet black beady, bulging eyes and delicate whiskers. I'd never really looked at a mouse as a thing of beauty, they are just a nuisance in most cases but in her natural environment she was a wonder to see. Not like when you see one in the basement and instantly worry about damaged property and urine soaked items under a nest of white fluff. No, this was an entirely different experience. Not unlike the difference between seeing a filthy lion in a dirty cage at the zoo and seeing a clean, healthy one hunting in the wild. I had to savor it knowing it was something unique.

Figuring the show was over I was soon back in my half dozing state dreaming of big bodied, heavy racked bucks, my ongoing quest for a white tail that dresses over 200 pounds and all the similar fantasies that go with deer hunting when it happened. Kerr-plop! A tiny baby mouse landed on my chest about two buttons down from my chin. I experienced an instant "WHOA! what the heck?" moment before I realized what had happened. The rocks above me were typical of Missouri in that they were riddled with cracks that ran deep into the hillside making perfect hiding places for all kinds of small critters. Mamma mouse must have had her nest in one of them or perhaps she had had reason to leave her nest and was out looking for a new location. She'd ended up directly above where I lay and the little baby had fallen out only to land on my chest. Remembering Mamma's careful attentions earlier, I decided to stay still and see what would happen. Seconds later I heard a rustling above my head followed by delicate scratching noises as Mamma climbed down from the rocks, across my right shoulder and down into the leaves by my elbow. This time she didn't have any clinging babies to worry about so I figured she must have stashed them in some attractive crevice above me. She began casting back and forth like a beagle looking for a rabbit track and made her way down past my hand with a little pause to sniff my glove. Seemingly unconcerned, she continued towards my feet with additional pauses to sniff my boots. I began to have concerns that she would go running up the inviting looking tunnel formed by my pants leg that was gapped open on my right leg but instead she decided to avoid the strange smelling tunnel and come up between my legs. WHEW! I thought, that reminds me of the song about of the Mississippi Squirrel Revival (remember that one?) where the squirrel gets into church and runs up somebody's leg and the whole congregation goes nuts a prayin' and confessin' all sorts of things. I was beginning to relate a little bit too directly to that song and I was still a little concerned because Mamma was still headed towards a rather tender area but at least she was on the outside of my pants so I figured I was safe for the moment. Suddenly, it appeared a new crisis might occur. Mamma started to sniff and lick at my bowstring causing me to fear she would start to chew on it. Luckily, she decided she didn't like beeswax and Dacron and continued on in her search. She crossed over my thigh to the left then back again to the right before she stopped to sniff the air somewhere around my belt. I swear I could see concern on her face as she sat there sniffing and wiggling her whiskers. Suddenly she must have gotten a whiff of junior cause she made a beeline to him and scooped him up in her paws. She looked like she was hugging him and began to give him a bath just like she did the first one that had fallen only this time she was so close to my chin it was a strain to see her. She spent a good full minute rolling her baby over and over like a little ball while licking and grooming him right there on my chest. She only stopped occasionally to look me in the eye as if to say "Don't mind me, I'll be out of here in a minute. I'm just doing my duty as a mother." When she was satisfied all was well, she tucked junior under her chin and scooted back up across my collar and past my right ear on to somewhere higher up in the rocks.

This time, the show was indeed over as Mamma must have gotten all her brood safely to their new home or wherever it was she was taking them so I didn't see her any more. But to this day I can see her in my minds eye. Washing, licking, rolling, cuddling that little pink and gray baby next to my second button down..... You know, I don't believe I ever did see a deer that evening but I honestly can't remember for sure. It seems ironic that a hunt that started out in search of an animal the size of a deer ended with such strong memories about a tiny little antlerless creature who's weight could be measured in grains instead of pounds. In fact I feel it's safe to say that the whole experience constitutes one of my most vivid and cherished hunting memories.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
About the coolest thing I have ever seen hunting was snow, but not just any snow.  I was sitting in a tree, mid February, overlooking a food plot that was about 3 acres.  It started snowing so hard that all you could hear is snowflakes hitting the ground.  They were huge snowflakes about the size of a half dollar.  Soon, the ground was white and still all that could be heard is snowflakes landing.  
Withing a half hour several does came out to get a bite to eat.  I just sit there and watched them feed in the snow, with a backdrop of snow covered fields and woods.  Had to be the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
While ground hunting I had a red fox come to within 20 feet of me, walk in a circle just like a dog and lay down for a nap. He tucked his nose under his bushy tail and slept for a half hour...

I watched a bobcat "hunt" three young coons one morning.  I giggled to myself when the coons busted the bobcat. He just made too much noise.

One day last season a buck came in that was not legal due to not having 4 points on one side. He laid down and bedded under me for three hours. Maybe 4 steps from my tree.  He would nap about 20 minutes then wake up and groom himself, stretch out either front leg and lay his head back down. At one point he stood up stretched then walked in a circle and laid back down.  One of the neatest things I've ever seen in the woods. After three hours I had to pee so bad that I finally started talking to this buck in a whisper. He stared at me for five minutes I guess not believing what he was hearing. I took me moving my arms for the buck to bust out!  Too much fun.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Almost forgot about the time a fawn stuck her head IN MY BLIND then licked and sniffed the feathers on the arrows in my quiver.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
last year I fell asleep( as I sometimes do) in a cedar tree and was awoken by a coopers hawk @ 20"trying to land on me. And the other morning just before first light an Owl made a swoop and a turn to land on my tree stand and was stopped short by the end of my bow.It was pretty amazing seeing how much grace they have in flying through a thick cover of scrub oaks.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
I watched two mature bucks conduct a prolonged battle on a cold frosty day this year. The whole thing was illuminated by the rising sun with clouds of steam coming from their mouths and noses. 25+ years of hunting and never saw a true battle like this one. I ended up shooting the loser (8 point) who traveled up the draw to me.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
I was at the very last bit of grassy cover once when trying to stalk donkeys. As I couldn't get closer, I decided to just watch for awhile. They were just slowly drifting, grazing along. One at the back of the mob decided to tip-toe - I mean, you could see this donkey go into stealth mode! - up to another one that had its head down peacefully grazing. The cheeky one silently snuck-up to the feeding one, and opened its mouth wide, and clamped down on the rump of the feeding one with one savage bite! I saw the eyes bulge out of the feeding one's head in fright and pain, and I swear it jumped a foot off the ground, as it bolted away. The cheeky one seemed to be laughing and grinning.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
I was sitting in a treestand waiting for sunrise when I felt a slight tap on my left shoulder.It was still pretty dark and I couldn't see anything and a few minutes it happened again.Now,as I'm thinking "what the heck",I looked up in the bare branches in the treee in front of me and see the tiny silouette of a screech owl.When I climbed down later that morning I looked the tree over and it was healthy with no holes in it for a nesting tree,just figure he was curious about this big blob in a tree on his turf.
Another time,just before dawn,I had a barred owl land on a branch 6ft.in front of me,bobbed his head around looking at me and fly off.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
On one early morning hunt for deer I heard some growling like sounds. As I walked down the side of a huge cornfield, I came to a patch of stunted plants, drowned out/or whatever. I got to about thirty yards or so of two coyotes fighting over some deer parts- don't remember if it was just a leg or part of the hide. They looked like they were playing tug o' war.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Mulybux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
While sitting on the ground early one morning, I watched 2 coyote pups walk about 5 yards in front of me on the other side of some tall grass. When they got downwind of me, they stopped, smelled the air, and then saw me! It didn't take them long to vacate the area.
Hunt with your children, not for them.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
I love to bow hunting because of how many cool things I have seen,too many to tell. I seen everything for deer stepping over my legs to hawks scaring deer,and even been bitten by a cow elk. But the coolest thing that comes to my mind was a time I was hunting up a slot canyon. I was hiking in the dark in a dry wash that turns into a narrow canyon about 8 Ft wide in spots. I herd somthing walking down the wash so I stop and became quite. The sound keep coming closer so I turned on my head lamp to discover a rabbit. It was 3 to 4 yards away and still coming. It stop for a brief second then peeled around me and down the canyon. To do this it had to run up the wall of the canyon about head level to get around me. It blew me away. I turned off my light again to reflect for a moment. And once again I herd something coming down the canyon. I turned on my light and this time it was a fox. This stupid fox was not turning around but trying to get by me. He keeped zig zagging back and forth in front of me.  Until he found a narrow shout then ran up the canyon wall( by my head again) and went after the rabbit. At this piont I had to laugh a bit. The crazy part is after walking up another 20 yards I herd a sound again. This time it was a rattler. It was already to close to move and I had my appendix removed the week before. So I held still as it slitherd by. I never even seen a deer that day but what a day!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©