3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Face Camo? Is it really needed?  (Read 861 times)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Face Camo? Is it really needed?
« on: November 30, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
How many people out there where face camo of some type.  I have tried many headcovers and paint.  I really do not care for any of it.  Any thoughts?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Face Camo? Is it really needed?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
i hate face camo. bc in the south we have alot of bugs/ mosquitos! they tear you up on a warm day. so i use a face mask. right before i shoot i pull mine down so i can shoot better bc of my anchor point

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
I am not completely sure how a pale face can spook a game but I try to take all the odds at my advantage so I use them,of differet kind depending of games and hunting strategy
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
I just go to the tanning salon and get the Colombian gold package looks great and works well for the old lady as well...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
I've seen other hunters in the distance and their face sticks out like a sore thumb.  I always use something, usually a 3/4 headnet that is easy to pull up.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
I quit using anything for my face in a treestand a long time ago and have not noticed any difference. I would be more inclined to use it on the ground.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
I lost my favorite ASAT head net out of my coat pocket this Fall.

The next hunt, I had a doe see my "glowing facial beacon" from 50 yards through cover.  As I watched her watch me, I "felt" that there was something on the trail just behind me.  As I s-l-o-w-l-y turned my head, there was a young doe at five yards!  She tolerated the side of my face (with a short beard) with some curiosity but no alarm, but as I came around to where my eyes and skin showed, she "bugged out."  On every hunt that followed until I got another head net, I didn't feel as "deadly," whether it was fact or imagined.

I've killed pleanty of deer with my bare face hangin' out, but I go undetected MUCH more often with my mask on.  I was really glad when the replacement came...

Your results may vary, but that's my story.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Hunting on the ground or when it's cold, I definitely where something over my head/face. In a tree in milder weather, I just try not to make sudden moves.
Got wood? - Tom

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
I wear a head cover simply for my own confidence...I just "feel" less visible to the deer.  May or may not work, but it gives me more confidence so well worth it in my opinion.  I do think, being a prey species, they will recognize faces and things "leering" at them through the woods.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
I just wear a little of the easy off face camo paint. I do this because i think face masks are kinda annoying and the paint doenst bother me at all.

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Burnt cork
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
I hide behind the brim of my hat and never make direct eye contact.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
Its totally unnecessary unless you want to kill something other than caribou.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
I usually wear something on my face, I find the thin cotton face masks cause me no problems with anchor point, etc. I just ignore it.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
I practice with mine on(face mask) before hunting season. I hunt on the ground and the mask makes close and personal a better thing. Try it when squirrel hunting and see how close they'll get.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline dj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
I feel that being camoflaged is a state of mind more than anything else.  Playing the wind and sitting still are the best camo, and neither have anything to do with what you are wearing.  If you "feel" that you are hidden, whether in hundreds of dollars of the latest camo pattern, or that old plaid jacket and brown pants, you will hunt better because you will be able to relax and SIT STILL.  It is my feeling that my bare hands and face, especially the possible glare from an oily face, would be a beacon that might easily alert our quarry.  I am uncomfortable with a face mask unless it is cold and windy, so burnt cork and camo gloves give me the reassurance to sit quietly and not fidget and wiggle trying to hide my face.  To each his own....decide which way makes you feel more hidden and go for it.  Good luck.
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens".....Gepetto

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
In a tree stand, it's probably not necessary. I didn't have my face mask on when I shot my buck this  year. I also stood face to face from about 15 yards with a doe in a cornfield. I had to take a couple steps her way before she got up and ran. I had no face mask on then either.

I think the sun plays a roll here too though. The sun was not up yet and I was facing west at 7:00 a.m. when I got the buck. Earlier in the season, my son was in a stand about 75 yards east of me one afternoon. He didn't have a mask on and every time he moved his head, I caught the motion out of the corner of my eye. I called him and told him to get his mask on. Once he had it on, it was almost impossible to tell when he turned his head. If one could sit perfectly still, I don't think it would matter. Most of us can't do that though.    "[dntthnk]"
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
I prefer wool flannel paint...

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
Wool flannel paint is the way to go, huh?  That is a new one.  Is this a plaid print?  Can you post a picture?  LOL?

I grow a beard in hunting season and this year I have been wearing paint.  I have practiced in the mask I have and just cannot get comfy with the anchor.  I am going to try the cork, the paint I have is awful shinny.  

I know about making eye contact and its effect on the animal.  Never thought about a 3/4 mask that might work so I could still feel the anchor point.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
I tryed paint and masks but the cork works the best! IMO! I've had does walk up and investigate, another thing I like about the cork is that it don't make your face shine like the paint does. I hunt on the ground so I like my face covered, Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©