3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Face Camo? Is it really needed?  (Read 862 times)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Face Camo? Is it really needed?
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
I use a spandex face mask.  It clings so tightly to your face that you can still feel you anchor point and when you turn your head it turns with you.  I do think it makes me less visable, but even when using it I try to hide behind my bow when they look at me.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
Was playing around with a doe Friday afternoon.Had face off all over my face .I was using a bleat can and doe turned from about 70 yards to sound of bleat and came within 10 or less yards and looked up at me but could not make me and never got real alarmed until I turned my whole body and then just moved off and never blew of course she didn't smell me for sure but I believe in face camo more so than the clothes.Have had other good experiencs since I started using face off never liked mask or paint.Kip

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
It's all I've ever used for 30 years ... {black} ...

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
I use the Spando-Flage 3/4 facemask. It fits the contours of my face without being tight and uncomfortable. I usually alter the color by doing a brown tie dye to it to get the shade I want.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
I don't ever wear a face mask unless I am after turkeys. In a treestand hunting deer I do not use any face covering of any kind and never have a problem. I do have a beard though and I believe it helps although the gary is getting on the light side. I wear glasses and any face mask causes them to fog up. I hate that. I may try some face paint in the future for on the ground.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
Its totally unnecessary unless you want to kill something other than caribou.
:biglaugh:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
needed no.. helpful yes  I use burnt cork cheap, easy, and easy off with soap and water
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
Absolutely! Don't leave home without it.

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
After watching my cousin and his son at the other end of the field in a blind I have always used it. Every time they moved or turned their heads I could see them. It was like they had big white flags in the blind with them...Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline erierik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
face paint here,easy on easy off.Just another little thing that can make a difference imo.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
What Ray Hammond said.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by blind one:
After watching my cousin and his son at the other end of the field in a blind I have always used it. Every time they moved or turned their heads I could see them. It was like they had big white flags in the blind with them...Roy
Given the handle, if it was obvious to Roy, think of what the critters see   :biglaugh:  

Stan

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
Im a treestand hunter and i stopped wearing one 2 yrs ago and in the last 2 years i have killed more deer.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
I have a white beard, and deer do notice it at close range on the ground. I use a head net in a tree as much to keep the 'skeeters at bay as to hide from the animals.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
Believe it or not, I think the cork helps with skeeters! Jason

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
paint cause i lke to hunt cool! gives me that feelinglike i'm ready for hunt , may not mean a thing to creatures but i just feel like its part of hunting attitude
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
I don't know if it helps or not, but it makes me feel like Rambo, so I'll keep on using it.  :jumper:
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
I havent used a headnet in several years and I have never used face paint. I just enjoy the hunt and if I hear a deer coming or see one I just grab my bow and hold it up in front of me. It breaks up my outline and I can get a shot off quickly in that position.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
good thread... I wear paint during the Coloelk season as I am bothered by a mask and I don't have to wash it off because well I want see any one any way for days at a time In the whitetail tree stand I'll wear a mask (so I don't have to wash it off to go town resturant etc.  Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Good thread. Is it needed? I think so definately but for one other reason than mentioned above. I use to love face paint, didn't feel like I was bowhunting without it but hated cleaning it off to be able to stop on the way home and grab some grub. Then I went to the Spado flage headnets. Loved them, still use them in turkey season when its hot out. But for some reason the rubber comes to a stage in it's life that it just flat out stinks like a old gym sneaker. Not sure that deer associate it with human but heck I can't stand to wear them. Some time ago spando flage was hard to get and someone on this very site recommended Cableas Camo skin head gear. I absolutely positively love this garment. Funny I've used mine for years and just thought the other day I need to buy another one just in case they quit making them. By the way I checked and they still have them and yes I ordered one just for spare in case my 10 year old one dies or gets lost. It fits snug so you can still feel your anchor point and it is camo so it does hide the human face from deer which I think is important. BUT the most important reason I'd rather forget my bow than my camo skin is because it cuts the wind! I use nothing but wind shear clothing because it's warmer and cuts down my human scent being blow away and afer spraying down my entire clothing with my homebrew scent conditioner I've not had a single deer wind me from a stand in a long long time. Think about it for a minute, most of your scent comes from your head, hair etc. I know most folks  still think you can't fool a deers nose and thats fine. Just keep using your standard wool, fleece or whatever and hunt the wind. Good luck with that and good hunting.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©