3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting on the ground  (Read 776 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting on the ground
« on: November 30, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
I know this get discussed a bunch, but it always interests me. I hunt off the ground every year, I have killed several deer from the ground, but for whatever reason I just don't feel proficient at it. Here is what bugs me:

I see fewer deer. Even seeing deer I can't shoot keeps me going...and I think it teaches me something about the area I'm in also.

I'm never satisfied with the spot I'm in...that bit of brush "over there" always looks better.

You guys that commit yourself to the ground impress me quite a bit. It takes a mental toughness I just don't have, I suppose. How do you do it???

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting on the ground
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
Its a test of will thats for sure! I've had deer spitting distance from me and could not get a shot off. I've threatened to hit the trees but being on the ground is so much more simple. I bought me a leaning seat from Big Jim for this year, havent killed anything "yet" still a month or more to go, but I'm for sure starting to fell the pressure!! HA! Jason

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
Being on the ground is hunting and you get to see a whole lot more country than bushwacking out of a tree...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
Have confidence in your spot.. I will not move after I'm set up unless the wind is fickle.  

Your best chance to kill "any" deer is the first time you set up on them.  I don't build permanent blinds but move my set ups around the funnel, crossing, ridge ect. ect..  

Build your "blind" and sit in FRONT of it. Stay still and stay calm when the moment comes. Deer will look through you. Let them move PAST you then get them killed.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
It helps to be both too cheap to buy a tree stand and too lazy to lug one around the woods.  Besides, hunting from the ground is a blast.

:bigsmyl:

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
it is dead simple i want to live a little longer the trees are for the birds not me as i cant fly to well full stop .  :clapper:      :clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
"Being on the ground is hunting and you get to see a whole lot more country than bushwacking out of a tree...PR"

Thats debatable...

John3, I agree with your "first time" theory. Thats one of the things that does draw me to the ground...treestands get burnt out pretty quick, but on some of the small pieces I hunt, they are a train wreck to move.

I have a ridge in mind for next year. My son and I killed 2 bucks this year back there, out of the same tree. Sadly, it's the ONLY decent tree back there, and it's marginal. There is a great spot to sit in some brush on the downwind side of 3 trails coming out of the swamp. I haven't sat there because I never think about it until the season is in full swing....and I don't want to trim that brush during the season. Hmmm....

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by HO'NEHE JEFF:
it is dead simple i want to live a little longer the trees are for the birds not me as i cant fly to well full stop .    :clapper:          :clapper:  
Yep, gravity is a law not a suggestion, and I can damn near fall off the ground.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Growing up out west I was taught to hunt off the ground so thats what I do. I think that I might kill more if I would stay in a tree. But to me I feel I don't see near as much from a tree but my shoots are genrally better. I am almost too impatient for ground blinds and will only sit in the if I know for sure they will walk by. I see lots of game off the ground but blow 95% of my chances. Two weeks ago I drew back 4 times and never had a shoot, twice on a real super toad. I think that it is funny but I want to spend more time in a tree. I think the key to hunting on the ground just takes time to get in the right mode. Flow with the land, move slow,and notice everything. Some days the mode never comes to me.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
First year of hunting and I've been on the ground since opening day. It is definitely for me. I've already had encounters with deer at 10-20 yards. I haven't harvested any yet but I have some great stories.

I have a few weeks left...I'm hoping I can take one. My biggest problem has been overpopulated public hunting areas but even that hasn't been that bad.

There is nothing like hunting from the ground with your instincts and natural cover. Even seeing something is such an accomplishment.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
I've been on the outside looking in at this topic for the last several years.  I couldn't understand why anyone would want to give up the comfort and commanding view that treestands allow.  But now I'm started to want to try it on the ground. Lots of good spots don't work for treestands and the wind is another problem.

How do you guys deal with the issue of limited visual distances?

Do you guys stand up to take a shot or stay seated.  What type of camo/ghille are you using. Can a guy get by with conventional camo on the ground or do 3D suit really help?

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 02:15:00 AM »
Chris,

This was my first year to hunt ever. There was mostly ground hunting on the 4500 acres. I started on the ground and like other's have said, you see much more.....up close. I saw wonderful things that made my heart pump and just smile. I didn't get anything....yet. I guess I'm not that much in a hurry to either. I sat in a treestand for about a half an hour before I had to get back on the ground. To me it just seemed natural. Plus it was cold and breezy! I didn't want to be in a tree! LOL!

As far as limited distance...that's a factor. From the ground if it is a natural blind or a tent, you are limited depending on the "construction". I made sure that I could make shots with confidence from several angles and that was about it.

I'm new at this and what I found was the treestand was very comfortable to sit in (septin' fer the wind), but being on the ground was more fun.
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Chris Kinslow:

How do you guys deal with the issue of limited visual distances?
You don't see deer as soon - that's how.  Heh.  You can still (usually) hear them, though and that (IMO) adds to the anticipation.

Originally posted by Chris Kinslow:

Do you guys stand up to take a shot or stay seated.  What type of camo/ghille are you using. Can a guy get by with conventional camo on the ground or do 3D suit really help?
Standing / sitting - I've killed mine when I was standing but then again I was stillhunting at the time.  I've missed a couple of shots while I was sitting and have missed other opportunities due to impossible angles, inability to draw, etc.  My biggest problem is usually that I set up too close to where the deer end up being.

As to camo - I tend to wear very little camo and have had no trouble getting close to animals (or getting them close to me).

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
Roger, I don't "still" hunt, nor do I "stalk" the deer that I hunt. The only ground hunting that I do is "ambush". I try to figure out what locations are potential ambush spots by hunting from a tree where I have a huge visual advantage (flat as a pancake around here). It allows me to identify movement patterns from afar, BEFORE I make a decision to move in for an ambush. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

In most cases, my ambushes have been successful the first or second time in that location. If it doesn't happen, I move to other areas and don't allow that setup to get "hot".

Obviously, wind direction is a key element to successful ambushing. Wind speed (10 mph or better) is a big help, as they can't pick-up your movement as easily as when it is fairly calm. Being pretty sure of the deers' directional movements in a particular scenario (whether it be morning or evening) is a big plus in the confidence factor. It is difficult to sit (or stand) there, not knowing what is going on around you until the very last moment (in some cases, only a few seconds) when the deer arrive. It is tough going when you are mostly hidden from their approaching direction and all you have is the confidence that a deer WILL pass by.

An ambush scenario. I had seen deer (from my tree stand location) entering the bean field in the evenings on many occasions. They were mainly crossing through a tree line and hitting the beans at mid-field. So one day (at mid-day), I went over there to find the trail they were using and whalaa! Intersecting trails at the tip of a tree line 80 yards north of the bean field in a grassy field.

I got lucky the first time I had good wind for that setup. Two bucks walked across the field at sunset heading for the bean field, and I took the second one that passed by.

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
Another scenario…. I had been hunting in a tree stand about 200 yards north of a willow/marsh area. The deer were not reaching my location until very late (evening hunts). They were coming from the south and had to cross an open field before arriving at my location.

I decided to place my stand in a lone little willow that was barely adequate for a decent tree stand setup. But it provided me a vantage point to see exactly where they were crossing a waterway from a really thick marsh area.

Needless to say, after observing on several occasions…. the deers’ favorite crossing point (and ambush location) was identified. I didn’t get an opportunity from that setup, as I was a bit too late on that one…. the gun season opened thereafter and the deers’ natural pattern was broken.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
I hunt whichever way the spot dictates.  I would probably hunt on the ground more if I could hear properly. Also for some reason I have yet to figure out. I seem to shoot much better out of a treestand and I'm kinda impatient so the tree stand forces me to stay put. I wish we had more spot and stalk opportunities like the guys out west. But not many places here lend themselves to that type of hunting.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
There's nothing complicated about hunting from the ground, it's been done for centuries. I bow hunted here in Michigan for 20 years from the ground before tree stands became legal. When they finely became legal I still didn't buy a tree stand, I just stood or sit on a limb of the tree. My first tree stand was a climbing stand called a Baker. It was notorious for slipping on the tree if your weight wasn't to the outside of the stand. I think I've still got the scars on my belly..   :)

Before tree stands we made ground blinds from natural materials in locations where deer traveled, mainly runways to and from bedding areas to feeding areas.

In the areas where the ground was soft or sandy I sometimes made pit blinds. A pit blind got you down to ground level keeping the profile of the blind less noticeable. The drawback to the pits was the deer had to be close for you to make the shot. None the less the pit blind worked very well in some areas.

My Wife Nancy killed her first deer in 1963 from a ground blind near a runway. The runway was 10yds in front of her blind and I instructed her to let the deer pass then raise off her stool and shoot. The first deer came by and when she raised off her stool the stool squeaked, spooking the deer. Next bunch, same thing. Finely a lone deer came by and she shot through a hole in the blind making a fatal hit...   :archer:

Nancy still prefers to hunt from the ground with good success.

Here's one of her ground blinds in the pines.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
I've been hunting on the ground for 3 years+ now. I sat in a stand Sunday night. I was reminded why I like hunting on the ground.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
hunting on the ground is not always an option.  I live in eastern NC, were the brush is so thick it will pick you up off the ground, and the open areas are too noisy for practical stalking.     "[dntthnk]"
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Getting deer close is definitely not the problem, to close maybe!! I had a doe walk to within 5 yards, right at after she had already seen me, just trying to figure out what I was! the more I do this ground thing the more I learn! good fun, Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©