3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ok new bow 35 lb need advice  (Read 185 times)

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
ok new bow 35 lb need advice
« on: November 30, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
ok just built a board bow and finnally got to put a scale on it and see what it's pulling gosh thought it would be more but it's 35 @ 28 inches.
kinda on the light side but i guess it's ok for a starter and still heavy enough to hunt some small gae with and deer if real close .
but am looking at arrow selection and have done searchs on it . but there are so many things weighted unweighted weight forward 5.5 inch feathers 4 inch feathers  could someone kinda make it simple and give me a close idea of what i should try . i mean there are hundreds of ideas but would like to start somewhere with out buying 400 types and lenght of arrows to make this baby shoot .

any help would be appec. ,
thanks,
Scott

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ok new bow 35 lb need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
first off we would need draw length, as well as how close to center it is.  i am going to assume that its 28" draw and that it is well off center since its a board bow.  in that case I would start out with with some full length cedars in the 30-35 with a one hundred grain head.  if your looking at aluminums I would start with an 1816.  if your looking at carbons a 600 or a 500 full lenth and play around with tip weight.  i hope this gets you in the ball park.  Good luck. Since its your own design there is no precedent to work from on spine so a test kit might be right up your alley.

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
thanks fireball think alum. right now till i can settle on a arrow type tghen will have something to go off of . and draw lenght is 28 inchs and my arrow rest is 3/4 in off center line .right handed .

thanks,
Scott

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Might try gold tips carbon arrows in15/35 with standard inserts and 125 gr points.  Wife shoots this combo and they fly well.  Her rig is a long bow by Big Jim that is 34# @ 27".  I wanted her  to have tough arrows to be able to go stumping with me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©