3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bunny Arrows  (Read 523 times)

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
Bunny Arrows
« on: December 01, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
anyone tried the fiberglass fish arrows like Pearson discusses in TBM?

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bunny Arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
I'm lost.  Why would you use a solid fiberglass arrow?  Bill

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
The article states that you can use a fiberglass fish arrow because since it ways so much you can bust through brush with it.  However, in the article he reccommends using a field point which I disagree with.  The quick kill that results from a good blunt/broadhead helps me sleep at night better than having to chase a wounded rabbit with an arrow sticking through it.  I prefer my arrow to do the killing I'm not fishing for rabbits.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
I don't agree with his way of thinking at all in that article...but to answer you question, no I haven't tried it and I won't be...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
I don't agree with his way of thinking at all in that article...but to answer you question, no I haven't tried it and I won't be...
I am with you Curt.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
Come on guys.  Whats up with the closed mind thinking.  I hunted bunnies last night without a bow but recognized the benefits a heavy arrow would have in some of the brush we encountered.  Tip choice could be argued forever, but I don't believe that to be so with a heavy arrow that resists deflection.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
considering the author of the article, I wont be so quick to dismiss it.

I'll definitely try it out before passing judgement.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
I agree completely with his findings as far as flight and being able to shoot through brush.  The only thing that I find fault with is the tip choice. I've shot rabbits with field points when I first started.  it only took one hunt and 2 rabbits for me to see that imho it is not a quick enough kill for me to consider it ethical by my standards.  I would rather lose some arrows in the brush.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Each to his own but solid fiberglass arrows do not fly as good as wood or carbon or alum and field points arn't made for killing so count me out too (dont like it at all) now if you were to use some old broadheads ,wow what excellent Big Game Hunting pratice,,  :thumbsup:
Gord

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
I have played around with solid fiberglass arrows and can get them to fly just fine.  I don't see a problem with that... just set 'em up like any other arrow and tune.

The field pt though... I really don't see why someone would advocate that on hunting arrows.  It's not a quick kill (which you need with bunnies) so unless you anchor the rabbit to the ground you won't be likely to recover it.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Just found this article and read, like Jeremy, I have played with fiberglass shafts outside of bowfishing and they can fly good!

I also know that for years Monty Browning use them for hunting and wrote of it.

But the use of broadheads or judos will defeat the purpose of what he is doing, Deflection.

If we had rabbits around here, I might try it. The population of hawks, yotes and the wild house cats, don't leave much for us in my area!

A heavy blunt or hex type head would be my choice. Good shootin, Steve

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
C'mon it's a rabbit...they will run with a load of BB's, a broadhead, a blunt, a hex, a nutter or what ever you shoot them with (unless a instant fatal shot or pin it to the ground situation)

He's hunting heavy think brush, short range, with a real heavy arrow trying to reduce deflection and get an arrow in a tight spot.  

No one's ever had to dispatch a rabbit or chase one? No matter WHAT you shoot one with there's always a chance for non-recovery...
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline bow'narrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
Interesting how the discussion of shaft material  became a more intense debate on proper arrow point.  I have hunted jacks, cottontails and snowshoes for ten years past a half century.  I long ago gave up field points and blunts for bunnies.  I use good old rock-proof MA-3's which I make into hook heads.  They are deadly.   A rabbit in heavy cover gets to win.
no clue how to do this

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by frank bullitt:
Just found this article and read, like Jeremy, I have played with fiberglass shafts outside of bowfishing and they can fly good!

I also know that for years Monty Browning use them for hunting and wrote of it.

But the use of broadheads or judos will defeat the purpose of what he is doing, Deflection.

If we had rabbits around here, I might try it. The population of hawks, yotes and the wild house cats, don't leave much for us in my area!

A heavy blunt or hex type head would be my choice. Good shootin, Steve
Steve you should come to the Indiana bunny romp with us in January and we can try it!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
Interesting how the discussion of shaft material
I believe that the thread was about the article not neccessarily  just shaft material.  I just don't see why it I have hard time thinking it wouldn't work great with a hex head or a hammer.  They aren't that big in diamater and its a much quicker kill.  i will say I have shot bunnies before that I've had to chase/dispatch after they've been hit.  I just think that this occurs much less with a good solid killing point.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
I will have one in my quiver this year.The thing is I had planned to before reading the article.I have shot several with hex heads and judos never to be seen again, the rabbit that is, the arrow bounced back or came out.Field points will ideally  stay in them and hopefully pin them to the ground.If I have to do a bit of chasing or send a second arrow at them, to be brutally honest thats a lot of fun.Not much different than chasing down a turkey or goose and wringing there necks after theyve been shot.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
I read the article and Mr Pearson is adressing a very specific hunting situation where the rabbit is hiding in a "form" or brush den in a deep cover situation and at very close range. In this situation, unless it was a pass through shot the rabbit is going nowhere with a 30" aroow in him hanging up in the brush. Having said that busting bunnies at spitting distance isnt my cup of tea. To me the sound of a beagle running a cottontail is like a symphony. amd provides one of the most challenging targets in bowhunting

Offline USBP_1969

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
Hello Izzy.

I had the same problem with Jack Rabbits in Arizona. I then tried my hunting arrow, a 160 Grizzly, and even though they dull after a shot or two in the sand or dirt I found that a dull 160 Grizzly worked way better for me than anything else for small game. Also they are quite tough and if one takes a long shot they "stick" in the ground and are easy to find in the brush.

Just a thought.

kent
>>>>------   ;)   -------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©