3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Fall From A Treestand That Shouldn't Have Happened  (Read 391 times)

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Fall From A Treestand That Shouldn't Have Happened
« on: December 01, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
A local hunter fell from his treestand about 2 and a 1/2 weeks ago.  I knew he was really messed up with a broken pelvis, 8 ribs broken in 12 places, a ruptured spleen, and both lungs and his heart were bruised.

I finally heard this weekend HOW he fell out of his treestand.  He was hunting from a ladder stand.  He had climbed up into the stand and was preparing to lift his bow.  

It was at this point that he realized that when he had moved the ladder from one tree to the next he hadn't removed the bow rope from the first tree.  So, he figured that he could reach the rope with his rattling antlers.  Wrong answer!  It was 5:00 am in the morning and dark.  

He was very fortunate, if you can call it that, that another hunter was with him in a nearby tree and heard him scream.  I don't know if he screamed as he was falling, after impact with terra firma, or both!

This was a treestand accident that should have been avoided.  Oh, did I mention that he doesn't use a safety harness because he hunts out of a very safe ladder stand?

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Fall From A Treestand That Shouldn't Have Happened
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
Dang, i hurt thinking about that. Safety harness is a good thing. Someone fell here in Iowa but it was when they were starting to climb down. Also i had a friend do the same and he hit the ground with his harness on. Can't climb down with them still hooked to tree. Probably most falls are this way, on the way to get up or down.You think?
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
We actually installed a rope and a prusic knot on the ladder between the bottom rung and the seat level.  "Clip in and climb".  Once at the seat, regular strap is attached to the tree.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
He got lucky. I've heard of a couple cases where the guy wasn't found until reported missing and then too late.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
I work for the Medical Examiners Office and every year we have a few guest that did it their way and are hunting in the clouds from now on.SAFETY FIRST!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
You can get a nose bleed sometimes hunting out of my stands, you might be 23 up on one side and 30ft on the down side.
I agree with Bob, climbing rope from aborist supply like wesspur and a prussic knot. Your tied in from ground to top and back down.
Do a search Wesspur blaze 7/16 and prussic knot bee line 5/16. you can learn alot from the tree people. I seen this set up attending Barry Wensel's boot camp.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Mike Gibbs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
The bottom section of my climber didn't catch on the bark this year, and I slid half way down the tree before it did. No injury, but a lesson learned. From now on, I intend to keep my butt and other parts on the ground.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
We tend to get complacent. Last week I went out for a quick evening hunt. When I went to get down I turned around to unhook my harnes and had failed to hook it up. I had put the rope around the tree but somehow managed to forget to hook the harnes to it. Kinda scarry,that is worse than not having one on at all cause I THOUGHT I was hooked up.
Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
All tree stand accidents can be avoided. I don't know what it will take for it to sink in.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
BobW is right on. Now that my kids hunt with me from time to time I have made the investment in the rope and prussic from ground to top and both me and the wife feel much better about them getting into the tree.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
Rope and prussic  :thumbsup:    If you get a good system down, you'll never have to be unsecure while climbing and hunting.

You can't beat the Muddy Transformer harness, best one I've ever seen.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
The number one hunting accident in the U.S. is falls from tree stands. One out of every three hunters using a tree stand will fall from the stand.  Most falls happen when the hunter is entering or exiting the stand.  The prussic knot with the rope going up and down is cheap insurance.

Offline Tommy Leach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Fifteen years ago a hunting buddy of mine fell from twelve feet, we buried him three days later. I never tied off before then, I've always tied in since.
Be Safe!
Tommy
Oklahoma Selfbow Society - Past President
OSS Founding Member

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »
what a dummy
Make a life, not a living

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 06:33:00 AM »
Hunters who hunt from stand need to make their number 1 rule is to use a safety harness or belt of some sort. There was a young man near here where i live that fell about 30 feet out a stand that he fell asleep in. Sad to say that he wasn't wearing anything and he didn't survive the fall.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©