3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can an arrow bounce out of a deer??  (Read 557 times)

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
Can an arrow bounce out of a deer??
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
I shot my 5th deer of the year, a nice doe last night. The arrow fell out about 3 feet from where it was standing.  I thought maybe it was broken off but didn't get much penetration. I knew I hit it a tad bit forward. The deer looked like it was hit hard as it ran off crashing thru stuff.
I got down at dark picked up the arrow. The broadhead was gone along with the insert. It was not broken off at all. So now I'm really scratching my head and feeling uneasy.
  I picked up a very so so blood trail and after about 50 yards the blood suddenly began to flow. We followed it about another 75 yards and there she was.
Upon inspection my hit was just at the top crease of the front side shoulder and hit the ribs near the opposite leg.
The funny part is I never did find my broadhead.

Could the broadhead have hit the off shoulder solid enough that glue broke and the arrow bounced out?? I did let the processor know about the possibility of the broadhead being in  there. Maybe I just missed it when I was field dressing?? Didn't get pics last night (no camera) and was in a rush to processor before work today. :(
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can an arrow bounce out of a deer??
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
never heard of that before...  :confused:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
That is a great mystery.  You measured your recovered arrow and know it's the right length?

I've seen carbons break off so clean, the looked like they were cut on a cut-off saw!

Several deer I shot have poked through behind the off-side shoulder and as the deer drew back it'soff side leg, it snapped the shaft coming through. Quick li'l buggars them whitetails.

I've had glue in inserts pull out in targets so I guess the head could have lodged in bone somewhere and the brush and limbs pulled the shaft loose as the deer ran and the fletching draggged on underbrush.

Let us know if you find the culprit and reason.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
I once had an arrow out of a 70# compound bow shot at a deer 12 yards away come flying back at me fletch first right after hitting an 8 pt buck.  I checked the arrow and it too was missing its broadhead (a mechanical head) it was broken off at the threads.  The arrow itself had about 4 inches of blood on it and the broadhead was at least 2 inches long.  I did find some pretty pink bubbly blood later along the trail but lost the deer in a big black water swamp so I dont know much else but it can happen.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
Arrows will bounce off/out of a shoulder blade hit....seen it with my own eyes.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
I shot a 9pt. In 06 and the angle was such the arrow went high in the lungs and exited low and hit the deer front leg about 3"s below line of brisket. Arrow bounced right back out and laid on ground the first 10"s covered with blood. Deer walked 20 yards and fell over dead. Shawn
Shawn

Offline bdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
I think you have it right, the arrow fell out after the insert and head came off inside the body...

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Doc Nock, arrow still had the black line on the end of it from the sharpie where I marked it to cut it. Maybe 6 or 7 inches of very light blood on it.
It came out so fast, I don't think it had time to drag on anything. It all happens so fast, but it sure looked like it just bounced out.
I'm just thankful that it was a quick kill. I can wait to see if they find the broadhead.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
About 25 years ago I had the same experience as Shawn Leonard.  Very close shot 8ish yards.  Saw the arrow hit where I was looking and then watched the deer.  Marked the last spot I saw it and then sat down and look at my watch.  Looking at the watch I saw my arrow lying flat on the ground broadhead attached 8-10 inches covered with blood.  Cleaning the deer I saw that the arrow hit high and exited low hitting the opposite leg almost cutting it in half then bounced out.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
I had a very similar experience as Shawn and Bowmania. 8pt at 8 yards from a treestand. The deer ran 20 yards, jumped an old fence, and I saw the arrow pop out. The deer ran another 50 yards and toppled over.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
Yep happens all the time.  That's why I use epoxy on my hunting arrows.  Sometimes it looks like it bounces off on impact.  but goes through, hits the shoulder, glue breaks, arrow bounces and leaves BH.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
I once helped a friend come and get me to help him track a doe he'd shot.He had the arrow in his hand.With th e 3 blade wasp only half cover in blood xx75 out of a 63 pound compound.He hit her high in the shoulder.He said the arrow bounced back 5 yards.We never did find the doe.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
About 30 years ago I shot a doe and it hit the shoulder blade area, the arrow just bounced back and the broadhead was bent over on the tip, so yes a arrow can bounce back.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Was it an expandable broadhead?
John

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Wingnut, I glue my inserts in with 5 minute epoxy too. Not for that reason but because I thought it was what most people use. Am I using the wrong stuff??

Cherokee, no it was a Muzzy Phantom on a 100 grain brass insert.  I've been very impressed with the job they do. That deer went down and I had a very good blood trail considering I hit the opposite shoulder and didn't get an exit hole. That's my fault for making not a better shot.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
I hit a doe square in the shoulder blade (hay-hooked the string) a couple of years ago with a cedar arrow with an Ace standard broadhead on it.  The arrow broke off just behind the broadhead and bounced back so fast you would think I shot an oak tree with a blunt.  The doe jacked that leg up and left running on 3 legs.  She didn't go far before she bedded down and I was able to sneak up on her and get another arrow in her.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
Muzzy is a very good head.
John

Offline Mark 507

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 01:16:00 AM »
I have always heard that the faster a glue dries, the more brittle it becomes. I believe it is common practice to use a 24 hour epoxy for that reason. On carbons I use gorilla glue (takes about 24 hrs to dry) and have had very good luck with it. Mark.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
I saw a video clip on this web site and a guy shot a buck and his arrow bounced 20ft off the deer. It looked like he shot it with a blunt.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
bounceback is really common with compounds & mechanical broadheads

a lot has to do with the arrow and broadheads, but certainly its more common than most think IMO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©