3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can an arrow bounce out of a deer??  (Read 558 times)

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can an arrow bounce out of a deer??
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
Never had a broadhead break off inside a deer, but I have left a few stuck in trees over the years!

Offline pharcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Happened to me this year on a doe, I use hot melt and the "WHACCCK" was like a firecracker when it hit the opposite sholder. The arrow bounced out and I found my snuffer lodged in the shoulder with the insert and all attached. No biggie, I saw her go down and it was deadly. Sometimes things just fall into place for the unlikely to happen!
I am the man that I am because I am loved, because I know the value of family, and Christ remains at the center of my life.
45# 66 model Bear Super Kodiak
45# Browning Cobra1
55# Hoyt Gamemaster

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
This is just my opinion.Hot melt will give a little and hold tight.The shoulder probably was hit and the muscle movement made the arrow fall out. The epoxy probably cracked or separated on the impact of the shoulder blade.at least you got the deer
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
I too have watched an arrow hit a buck a bit forward and had the arrow bounce back out of the deer...  This can happen.

congrats on finding the deer.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
I shot a yearling doe last year and thought I had hit the near-side shoulder blade because it looked like the arrow was barely sticking in after the shot. I immediately felt sick, but it had penetrated both lungs and hit the opposite shoulder, curling the point on my 160 Snuffer (never saw that happen before) and almost bounced back out. It was a 600+ grain arrow from a Torges 57# self bow. She made it about 50 yards before piling up.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
Can an arrow bounce out of a deer?? Absolutely. A couple years ago a straight up buddy with years of experience called and said he had hit a deer perfect only to see the arrow barely sticking out the entry side as the deer took off. It happened so fast he was sure he had only got a few inches of penetration. He watched the arrow fall out the entry side after a few bounces as the deer took off. He quitely got out of the tree stand and did not trail it. We decided to wait a good while before trailing. Went back and the deer had only barely made it out of site and piled up! Upon examining you could see the arrow had made it through the vitals, both lungs a perfect hit, slammed the other off side shoulder without exit and bounced or blew back out. I've since heard very similar experiences with the same result. My guess is it did exactly what you said BLEW back out the same entry hole from lung collasping etc. After all it is a pressurized compartment, who hasn't heard the air get knocked out of themselves or someone else. The only difference is your glue failed and your broadhead stuck  in the off side or pulled out as it came back through. I would think its  alot harder to push a broadhead down through the shaft as opposed to pulling it out. Pulling it out tests the glue.  Just my opinion.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
Dang Mike!! Your a mad man this year.  You better leave some for seed.  Congrats!  Wow five deer!
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
Thanks Brian, I had some guy from K.C. Give me some good shooting lessons  :)
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©