3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ACS Bow Input Request  (Read 681 times)

Offline Blasterjdh

• Trad Bowhunter
ACS Bow Input Request
« on: December 01, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
Looking at the spec for the ACS bow T/D version. I have a couple of questions for those who have owned or own one...

My Specs : 28" draw and prefer 47-50 lb bows, Shoot 3 fingers under instictive...

My Question:
1 -- What would be the best option 14" or 16" riser ?

2 -- Would an overall length of 62" be better than 60" or 64" ? Comments?

3 -- I understand these are suppose to be quicker/faster -- But are they Quiet?

4 -- Could not see if the risers aer cut to center or past center (if so how much?)

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated - I truely like to performance aspect but I really like a quiet bow 1st and formost...
EOD Motto: Initial Success or Total Failure

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ACS Bow Input Request
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
I’m no expert but with my experience of owning both the 14" and 16" and shooting 3 under myself I will give you my opinion.

The length of bow is mostly determined by draw length. My guess is with a 14" riser and a 28" draw you would have an option of a 60" or longer. 60 or 62 being my bet. If you went with a 16" riser that would grow by 2", 62 or 64.

On the riser with 3 under it will depend on where you anchor. I shoot 3 under with a low anchor and with the short sight window on the 14" riser my sight picture was right at the top of the sight window. If you have a higher anchor or cant the bow (I anchor 3 under and index finger in corner of mouth) this will not be an issue.

I found the ACS to be picky about the way you grip the bow but let me tell you that once I got that ironed out and the bow tuned right I never ruined so many nocks and tore up so much fletch as I have with this bow.

The risers are cut 3/16" past center

They can be made as quite as any other bow out there.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
James
I shoot a A&H 64" #54 @28 14" riser standard grip. The grip is not for everyone, but it fits and work's for me, as for being quiet I have a D-97 12 stran string with bow jack's, everyone tells me it's quiet I think so. They are fast! But what I find about it more than being fast is it cast a arrow pretty flat out to about 35 yards.
(485gr)as for speed I have a couple of custom bows that are just as fast ( Morrison and a Gerlock) same specs. I shoot split finger, as far as cut past center call A&H. You really need to shoot one before you buy, good luck.
Larry

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
I have shot many of these bows, I have owned 6 or so, now have 3. My opinion is that the longer bows perform better. I now have 58" and 62". The 62" is a better performer. The 64 I had was the best. The difference is not much, but there is a difference.
I like the short one for hunting because I hunt from the ground and it is more comfortable shooting while sitting.
John

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
I have an A&H ACS TD....and I don't know what riser it is or even what length off hand...but I think its 60 or 62 inches.  Don't know the riser length, but it wouldn't matter to me.

I will tell you what I do know that you asked. It is quiet....very quiet....and I gotta have that in a bow.

I also like the grip.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
I have had both 14" and 16" risers.  I now only have two 16" RC risers with 64" limbs.  I am back to shooting 3 under and have found the ACS to shoot quiet either way.  My understanding is that the 64" limbs are the best performers at many different draw lengths but I would ask the boys at A&H to find out for sure.  They are very good to deal with and can answer your questions better than me.  I only own two bows now..........both are ACS CX.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
I own a number of SCS's.  As with any bow the longer the more accurate you will shoot them.  Surprising to me the longer limb are higher performance.  THey are quiet and sound a little different then my other bows, probably due to the carbon.

I reworked my A&H aluminum riser and make it more longbowish - lower wrist.  It's relatively flat where it fits in my palm.  A marked improvement.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
I have 2 3pc bows and my 16 year old has one too. He shoots 3 under I shoot split-no real difference we trade back and forth all the time. I did modify my grips to make them low wrist and A&H will make the riser that shape for you.
We have 14 inch risers, 62" bows and draw 27-28. Have not tried the longer risers and don't really care-happy with what we got. The bows are fast, smooth and quiet.
I also have a 64" one piece and it is very comparable.
I would not go short unless you plan to hunt out of a blind.

Offline gilf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 04:00:00 AM »
I have owned about 7 now (I say about because I have swapped the limbs around on some), was shooting a 62" total on a 14" riser but having tried the 16" riser both in the ST and RC form I now prefer those. It's possibly just down to the longer over all length but it just feels that little bit better to me.

I'd agree with Bjorn go longer rather than shorter unless you need that shorter length for hunting out of a blind.

Offline Blasterjdh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
I truely appreciate the inputs provided... I am mainly a ground blind (Find a blow down/etc...) type of hunter... Thats why the 60" & 62" bow lengths look promising...

Rick - The point you bring up concerning shooting 3 under and riser length is just what I was looking for -- I just did not ask the question well (go figure).. I have a high cheekbone anchor and cant the bow so I think I would be "ok" with either size riser... But it sounds like the 16" riser may be more versatile.. You never know what the future holds...

Again - Thank you very much for the inputs from all..... Got to love this site....

JDH
EOD Motto: Initial Success or Total Failure

Offline extremebowfishing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
Hey James,
I prefer the 14" riser with the low grip.  Havent tried the JK grip but I hear its nice.  Both of my bows are 62" and very quiet.  I mounted quivers on the limbs (not limb bolts) and that took care of the harmonics you get with carbon.  As far as speed, these bows will run with or surpass any recurve I have owned and shoot quieter doing it.  I just got a new one in from A&H and brother is it pretty.  Pull the trigger on one and you wont be dissapoited!  Happy Holidaze!
Jack
Muzzy Prostaff
Ams Bowfishing Prostaff

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
I own 2 ACS,both 14" risers.1 bow 62" the other 64".What Terry said: very quiet and I like the grip.Speed is comparable to most recurves.Chronied mine at 200fps if that matters.My draw length is 30" but I don't notice much difference between the 62 and 64 lengths.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
I have had the 14" standard, 14" JK and the 16". The JK is the best riser for me and I shoot it 90% of the time. I still have a 16" but took a little wood off it to make it more of a JK. The 16" is best if you're pulling 60# or more. I use half a cat whisker top and bottom and both bows are dead quiet.

CJ
lll

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
I had a 14" standard riser and a 16" low wrist riser. I liked the mass weight and longer sight window on the longer riser. I would like to try a 16"rc riser since I like recurve style grips. At my 30 " draw, these bows were very quiet. Bob

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
I have a 62" ACS on a 14" riser,I like the 62" limbs better then the 64" limbs I had.I draw 27" and the 62" just seem to fit me better.

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
this is good info ..this is atop10 want bow ..kpaul what is theweight on your 64"er i have a long draw also so 14 or 16 is my mian concern so far

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
I had a 64" with the 14" riser and it was great. Really smooth, quiet, fast, everything you want. That one and my centaur are the only bows I regret trading away. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you pick one up, and if you watch the classifieds for a while you can get one at a reasonable price.

Good luck.
Is it September yet?!

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
I have a take down 62" 54# at 27". The riser is a 16". This was the set up that was recommended to me by the folks at A&H. Glad I listened to them. Once I got a handle on the grip it tuned up so easy. My brace height is about 6 1/2". The bow is fast and hits hard. Only complaint I have is that it took me so long to pony up for one.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Dave Earley

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 07:35:00 AM »
OL's website says he is no longer taking orders - any ideas?

Thanks and Merry CHRISTmas to all
Dave Earley

"Papa shoot arrows at deer, we eat tasty steaks !"  Matt, my 3 yr old grandson.
Leon Stewart Slammer 64"  55#

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
theres aone on the bows forsale oooohhhmy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©