3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon vs.aluminum vs.wood?  (Read 670 times)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Carbon vs.aluminum vs.wood?
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
Well said, Don.   :thumbsup:

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
I shoot and like'm all.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
they will all work, but carbon is hands down stronger and gives more penetration.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
I shoot em all as well.

I like to use wood with my more classic longbows.Just seems like a natural combination.Wood arrows are the most beautiful and have a timeless quality.I enjoy buying shafts,straightening them and finishing them out to a quality end product.Its satisfying.They shoot quietly.

i have not used that much carbon over the years but have been using them alot the last year.Fantastic hunting arrow.Great penetration with high forward of center.They fly great when tuned right.

Aluminum is very convenient for me.I got 2016s,2115s,2018s and 2020s.I can grap any one of those sizes and screw on a 125 grain point and be right in the right spine range for any of my bows without fiddling around.You can find them priced very reasonable second hand as well.

Its all good

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
I only shoot wood and always recommend that everyone else shoot carbon or aluminum!   :bigsmyl:

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
I,m kinda of with Bjorn on this one, easier to get good woods if everyone else is using something else. By the way I had one POC arrow that killed a mulie buck, Turkey, and a coyote this fall, the stupid coyote chewed it up before it kicked the bucket.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Aluminum is the most consistent. A 2219 today is the same as fifteen yrs ago.

Carbon are by far the most durable.

Wood are the most fun to build.

I`m trying to come up with a wood arrow, supported by carbon, controlled by aluminum.  :D

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
Wood...good enough for 10,000 years, good enough for me. Never shot a carbon. To each his own.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
I like 'em all but you just can't make alloys and carbons look like this...

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 03:47:00 AM »
Those are real beauties,Al
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline nel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Al, you are sooo right...

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
Can I have them Please!!!!!That is some nice stuff.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
Al those are too nice to shoot ! If you shoot a break one of those you would be Heart broken ,, Some folks dress up Carbons real nice but the footing you have is a work of art WOW I am gelous ,I too would love one of those arrows  :bigsmyl:    :wavey:
Gord

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
I am gonna try some of my (wheelie bow) carbons and see wow it goes, still like my wood this is a lot to think about.Thank all of you for your input.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
There all good, but I still hunt mostly with wood. I,m just hard headed, One flimsy POC arrow got in on a badger kill, turkey, deer, and it finally died going into a coyote, just washed resharpened and kept shooting. The coyote really liked POC because he really chewed it up before giving it up.

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
On some bows I have had trouble finding the just right aluminum. Also, with some setups it is critical to leave a lot of arrow sticking out to get the spine for us short draw shooters.  I just hate having more than an inch out in front. I like to tag my finger with the broadhead, so for me and most of my longbows I have always preferred wood. I have used Alaskans and metal on some of my bows over the years and really have not seen much of an advantage if compared to good wood shafts.  With my 50 pound at 26" bows, for me, wood is the only way to go for hunting.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2009, 01:15:00 AM »
I have shot and like all of them. Woodies are more aesthetically pleasing, are quiet, and tend to be very forgiving. On the downside, they are fatter, more work to make, subject to environmental changes such as humidity, and less durable than carbons.

Aluminums tune easily and are easy to make up. On the downside, they are noisier, can be bent, and are not really any more durable than wood, from my experience.

Carbons tune easily, are very durable, stay straight, are about as quiet as wood, are easy to get high FOC, are small in diameter, and come in a variety of colors. Downside...hmmm...I can't really think of one unless it would be they don't look as old-school as wood.

For hunting, I'll probably just stick with what works the best for me: Beman ICS Bowhunter 500s.

I'll still probably play around with both wood and aluminum from time to time, especially with some of my bows that seem to like them better.

I also agree with George. The material matters not so much as how well it is tuned to the bow and how well the archer shoots it.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 05:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
I have shot and like all of them. Woodies are more aesthetically pleasing, are quiet, and tend to be very forgiving. On the downside, they are fatter, more work to make, subject to environmental changes such as humidity, and less durable than carbons.

Aluminums tune easily and are easy to make up. On the downside, they are noisier, can be bent, and are not really any more durable than wood, from my experience.

Carbons tune easily, are very durable, stay straight, are about as quiet as wood, are easy to get high FOC, are small in diameter, and come in a variety of colors. Downside...hmmm...I can't really think of one unless it would be they don't look as old-school as wood.

For hunting, I'll probably just stick with what works the best for me: Beman ICS Bowhunter 500s.

I'll still probably play around with both wood and aluminum from time to time, especially with some of my bows that seem to like them better.

I also agree with George. The material matters not so much as how well it is tuned to the bow and how well the archer shoots it.
The downside of carbons IME is they are more difficult to work with (IE- need a high speed saw to cut them,can't pull the inserts from them,etc).

I own and use all three.There is something I like about all of them.Most of my deer hunting is done with aluminums though.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
TTT
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©