3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: old bear bows  (Read 11936 times)

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: old bear bows
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
I was hunt with my hunting buddy and his son on this trip.

the father took his 1st deer w/this very same bear grizzly some 25yrs prior to his son takeing his very first deer

4yrd shot from a treestand 8ft high, w/recovery of 30yrd (zwickey/wood shaft)
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
wow I Iove these!
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
I love my 68 k mag, shot a doe with it last year and it was great to carry,Light,Compact,and deadly with a heavy arrow. I don't have any pics .
TGMM

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
I got a super kodiak 65# Ive got two squirrels and the coon in my avatar with it. Hope to get a turkey by end of spring and deer and other stuff by the end of the year

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
here are my two bear bows. a 62" 40# longbow with a double shelf, and a 60" 60# kodiak hunter. The longbow was given to me along with another york recurve, and I bought the kodiak hunter for 100.00. I like both bows, although they are not my primary hunting bow.

Offline Tom Uselding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
In October of 1970 I had just returned to the USA from South VietNam.  I was at Camp Pendleton getting discharged from the USMC.  The last thing I did was go shopping at the exchange.  I left with a 50# 56" Bear Grizzley.  I think I paid $70 new at the time.  I shot my first bow deer with that bow.  I still have it and some other Bear bows but that one is special to me.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature; old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.  Semper Fi - Tom

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
thats cool
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
On any given day this upcoming season I may take my 57, or 63 Kodiak's for a walk...just picked up a Cub for my wife/son and might try to find a heavier one or copy it...the old Bears are sweet!

Offline leon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
This is my 11 year old.We went stump shooting.He uses a 45#  kodiak mag.
61# Acadian Woods Classic

58# Saxon American

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
Zachary, the Kodiak Hunter is 50#, and was pretty much sticking the arrows through the other side of every fish I hit.  Dan

Offline wood slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
I picked up a 1969 Bear Kodiak Hunter last year. It's 68# and out-shoots bows I have paid 3-4 times as much for. Hope to have some photos with it from the field this fall.

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2007, 01:34:00 AM »
wood slinger, thats a rare find you have there. 68#s! wow never seen a K hunter with a poundage that big

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »

'65 K-Mag, great shooter!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
I am a water well drilling contractor and quite frequently work in and aroung Grayling, Michigan.
Repairing and replacing water wells for the residents there.

I can tell you that there are ALOT of old Grayling made Bear bows just hanging in garages and closets, all over the area. A virtual treasure trove. Many of them belonging to someone who has passed away. I have learned that asking if the current owners are interested is selling is not a good idea. Maybe there are too many good memories of crisp October days; better days in a better time, that they are not willing to part with.

I just recently met kind lady in her golden years.
Her husband has been gone for over ten years she said, and her garage could be considered a Bear archery museum. When I saw the bows,arrows, and quivers all over the walls I stopped in my tracks.
I quickly counted over three dozen bows. A work bench at the rear with everything needed to craft
wood shafts into the works of art that rested patiently in the quivers. Waiting for him to return. EVERYTHING is as he left it she said.
She told me she keeps hoping to see him out there
building arrows. I could have cried.

I started to tell her not to let that stuff go to
just anyone, and that it was all worth quite a bit, but she already knew. "Its not going anywhere", she said. I wanted to look closer at all of it, but knew I couldn`t. All the best were there, from the fifties to the seventies. Treasures indeed. Makes me wonder how many of those old bows are actually out there. Waiting.

As a last note; the water well he put in HIMSELF, more than fifty years ago, is working again. After all these years he is still taking care of her.  ;)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
What a beautiful story. I see a magazine article there. Just change the location to keep the buzzards from congregating.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
Killdeer, My daughter was wonderin how you got her target   ;)   good shootin.
TGMM

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
yeah I agree....awsome shootin

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Great looking Bears. This one belongs to a good friend.
59 Kodiak. She's a sweet shooter.

No matter what type of bow is shot, we're all archers.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
I have a couple old curves - 50 + 65#, a couple double shelf Polars and just bought on double shelf old Kodiac from on line auction that needs a tip overlay replaced - 47#. Planning to do a "like Fred" turkey hunt with it. Maybe even play around lefty and see how the dominant eye shoots.

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
Shaun, I can't wait to hear how that "like fred" turkey hunt turns out!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©