3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool Care questions?  (Read 319 times)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool Care questions?
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
I am changing my cold weather hunting gear over to wool, slowly due to cost. I have found some deals online for ragwool sweaters, but they all say dry clean only. Any one deal with these, can you not wash and hang dry. Use woolite? All replies appreciated.
samuel koger

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool Care questions?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 04:58:00 AM »
I stay clear of rag wool unless you like to itch. I don't worry to much about cleaning outer cloths the more you smell like dirt the better. Most of the long johns are machine wash.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 07:00:00 AM »
I haven't done rag wool sweaters, but for my wool hunting clothes if they really need it I hand wash and then lay them out to dry.  Stretch by hand as they are drying to maintain the original size and shape.  
But mostly I'm with wapitipmike - I let them air outside and don't worry  about a little dirt.  Base layers absord sweat, and I try to be careful with not getting them bloody, but other than that don't do much with them.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
I have washed all of my wool by hand, letting it air dry slowly, stretching it a little as needed.
The guys are right about the outer layers not needing cleaning....a good quality long john "base" will absorb any odors. The mud and burs on the oter layers don't bother me. I have one pair of Columbia wool pants that I didn't wash for 5 years....

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
My outer wool layers rarely get washed.  I normally just brush 'em off after the mud and blood dry.

My sweaters get thrown into the washer then dried flat after reshaping.  Woolite or just the cold water, and I haven't had any issues.

Oh, I don't like the ragwool sweaters either.  Military surplus "commando" sweaters are usually a great deal.  Sportsman's Guide has an new Dutch Mil. issue in olive drab that's great (I have one) and the used Aussie looks good too.  I think the USMC sweater is more of an open knit than the Dutch, but could be wrong.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
I'll hand wash or machine wash gentle in cold my sweaters and air dry them with no problems.  I do wash my sweaters more than my outer layers  but have had no problem washing outer layers this way either.  This includes a rag wool sweater.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
I hand wash all my wool in the washer and then just lay flat to dry. I have been doing it that way for years and my favorite wool sweater is over 23yrs old. Man its a good wool sweater and i wish i had a couple of more just like it.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
Handwash, cold water, baking soda. Shape and lay flat on a towel to dry. Ragg wool doesn't hold up all that well, BTW. Fibers are short which causes "pilling".

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
I wash all my wool in the machine in lukewarm water on a short, gentle cycle, usually with one of the hunting detergents.  If I think the clothes need a little extra cleaning, I shut of the washer during the wash cycle and let things soak for a while, then turn it back on to finish.  Temp change between wash and rinse and heavy agitation will cause wool to shrink.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
Use Sport Wash detergent and either hand wash or wash on the short, gentle cycle as suggested. A presoak cycle is available on many machines, and that is also good to use as Fletcher does manually. Sport Wash does not leave residues, including those UV brighteners that deer are supposed to be able to see, and is gentler on clothing. Block dry the clothing.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
I subscribe to the George Stout school of wool buying cheap. Never worried about washing & never had problems in cold water. Do stretch your wool to the original size or slightly larger before drying on a hangar.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©