3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyotes...how to anybody?  (Read 848 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyotes...how to anybody?
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
Thanks for all the tips fellas. I am gonna get at least one done with my bow...the rest might get done in by ALL of the above. My wife has now replaced the one dead/MIA cat with 3 new kittens and (gulp) they are inside critters. Coyotes you are going to pay...I got permission to hunt all my neighbors farms to put a dent in the pack, too, so they aren't safe just off my 80!
Mike Davenport

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
Here is an awesome article on the current coyote debate. Its covers both sides of the issue and includes some of aforementioned debate re: hunting vs not hunting coyotes.  The main guy behind one side of the debate is Dr. Robert Crabtree.  Dude works at yellowstone and has got some serious credentials behind his name! Whether you like his info or not, its an interesting read!

http://audubonmagazine.org/coyote/index.html

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
That is a very interesting article.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
Fishnhunt, the article is good, but a bit of antihunting tone there I think. Thanks for posting it. Still can't argue with the experience that gentleman has though. I am not looking to "kill 'em all" as I know they are hunted like mad everywhere near me and we still have a healthy population. They are tough, amazing critters. I just want to get rid of a few problem children around the house and hunt those smart critters with trad tackle. Can't wait to get in the woods this weekend!
Mike Davenport

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
I hear ya.  Another thing I read talked about "predator swamping" and the effect on yotes.  When you have an ideal buck:doe ratio, apparently most does will get bred in the first cycle, thus those doe deer will throw their fawns right around the same time in the spring.  There are so many fawns getting dropped in such a short period of time that the yotes just cant get all of em.  Thats predator swamping.  Versus does getting bred at different times and dropping fawns at different times....it gives a sustained meal for the yotes and the yotes arent swamped.  

My main thing right now is trying to keep em from getting free meals. Any carcass we have is burned or buried close to the house.  Dunno yet what other measures I'm gonna take.

Wapiti792 - good luck this weekend!!

Offline Lonehowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
I dont post often, obviously, but I hunt predators quite a lot during the fall/winter, and just want to say that most guys that hunt coyotes even semi seriously have a ton of respect for them, and are not the bloodthirsty killers they are portrayed to be in a lot of non hunting"objective" articles you read, no more than any other responsible hunter.
As a matter of fact, most seasoned predator callers honor a self imposed moritorium on hunting during the spring/summer months.

Gonna drop a couple sites you can check out,will delete if not allowed:

NPHA (new forum)
Predator Masters( already mentioned)
Predator Professionals
Predator Wild
California Predator Club (already mentioned)
and a ton of others are out there.
(Check out all the custom calls!!)

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
I am with lonehowl.  I don't want to decimate the coyote I love hunting them and have a lot of respect for them.  I think if this old boy shoots some coyotes around his house it will really help out.  I am not a biologist I just like to hunt so I could be wrong but it sounds like an antihunting thing.  In MO. the season closes while they are having there pups.

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:
We began to have a problem with them around my place, but Nature took care of it. I started getting pictures on my game camera of animals with severe mange, and the last picture I got was of one that looked to be completely hairless.    :D  
El Chupacabre
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
"Forget The LongBow, and get a Long Gun"???? You must have hit the Wrong Forum Button. NO GUNS HERE!! ONLY Traditional Archery!! Jeez.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Reggie Catfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
I've got a buddy who does something similar to what Gatekeeper mentioned.  In the past he has picked up dead deer on the road and driven a metal fence post thru them in his field in front of his house.  At the time, his kids were babies and he had an extra set of baby monitors.  So he rigged one up with a battery and strapped it to the top of the fence post and would listen, especially at night, for anything feeding on the carcass.  He zapped a fair share of coyotes that way.  Although he did it with a gun, i think you get them use to something like that in front of your blind or stand and you maybe in the money.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©