3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cedar vs Douglas Fir  (Read 919 times)

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
Cedar vs Douglas Fir
« on: April 11, 2007, 01:17:00 AM »
I am looking for any info about the approximate differences in arrow weight between these two.  The arrow length will be 27" and between 50-60 lb spine.  Forgot to add that I will probably try out the tapered shafts this time also. Thanks, Mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cedar vs Douglas Fir
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 01:21:00 AM »
It varies of course but you 'll probbaly get 75 -100 grains more from the fir.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:26:00 AM »
I've got some douglas fir from hildebrand that i really like.. I'm not sure the weight difference.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Raptor Archery carries Doug fir and Sitka Spruce and they are a sponsor of the TradGang.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
As wingnut said Raptor archery has Doug Fir I ordered two dozen tapered shafts from Ted and they are some of the finest shafts I have seen in a while and the price was reasonable.

Tater
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
The 11/32" 55-60# spined spruce shafts from Hildebrand are 340-350 gr. Maybe someone can weigh their fir shafts and let us know what they weigh...? I would imagine they would be like Tree Man says.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
My understanding is there can be a wide variance in weight with fir.  If you have an idea what you need in a raw shaft a good supplier can probably hit it for you, but the above estimate of 75-100 grains is very achievable.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
The average weight of Fir will be in the mid 400s for a full length shaft , Spruce averages out at mid 300s for the same . You can have higher and lower in a box of 100 of the same spine , sometimes 100+ grains . This is why most hand weigh the dozens. Both Spruce and Fir are good shafts that hand straighten and recover quickly from paradox.

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Here's a set of doug fir shafts I made for my wife...put on some sunglasses, she wanted 'em bright.  These weigh between 435-440 grains including the brass .357 case she's using as a bludgeon. They're spined 35-40#.

"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RamiusEng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
How well does Douglas Fir take stain/sealers/lacquers??

I am almost convinced.
Ray

the "go to":Toelke R/D Whip 62" 55#@28.5

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
Pretty good. The ones I made for my wife were dyed with scarlet RIT dye. I've also stained them with Min Wax Wood Finish. I use the Min Wax fast drying polyurethane to seal them with. Fletch 'em with fletch tape and a dot of duco cement at the front and back of the feather then wrap with artificial sinew just for kicks not because they need it.
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
Ive had good luck staining my douglas fir... I use the minwax prestain conditioner, minwax stain, and two coats of hellmans spar urethane for the finish... very durable nice looking arrow... Steve
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Doug fir stands up waay better than Cedar or Spruce for 3D and general shooting..............almost as strong as a hardwood. Doug Fir takes stains etc just as good as Cedar-Cedar looks a bit prettier, and smells oh-so-nice when it snaps! LOL!
I get tapered Doug Fir from Ted at  www.raptorarchery.com

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
Man, howdy, those things are bright!  If you lose one of those it would be on purpose!
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »
LOL Mark, that was kind of the idea. The last ones she had me make for her, she wanted green camo feathers on   :knothead:  Needless to say there are a few back in the briar patch that will probably never be seen again   :banghead:

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »
I got some tapered Doug Fir from Ted at Raptor Archery and really like the way they fly.

Will probably stick with it now that I have shot fir.

Lee

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©