3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tips on hunting in bitter cold weather  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tips on hunting in bitter cold weather
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Wool, food, water, heat packs, a way to make fire. Don't forget the common sense!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
A ground blind and a fat chick ...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
You think it gets brutal in Arkansas?    :rolleyes:  
Come north wimpy boy, we'll show you brutal!   :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:  

One piece of gear I wouldn't be without when it gets cold is a neck gaitor or a scarf.  Really helps to seal the warmth inside my clothing where it belongs.
Hmmmm Up north you say.......calling your felow lesser 48 state resident a whimpy boy are we!?!Lived in the upper peninsula of Michigan the first half of my life and Alaska the second....don't think I'd get that high on a horse if I was you! I'll be thinking how warm it was back when the sun was up for more than a hour and it was only -20 outside in a few weeks. I fully expect to see day time temps in the -35 to -40 range with 50 mile an Hour winds during my March caribou hunt. I'll be about 12 miles from the arctic ocean and 70 from the nearest year round road. By then the sun will have risen again and we should have a whole 4 hours with enough light to hunt. I'll be visiting a friend who lives and works there the sun set last week....he'll see it again in 3 months. It will be below -45 most of that time. I've already harvested game at temps below -20 this year.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
TEQUILA!!!!

that will keep you burning on the inside
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by LV2HUNT:
All of the above and:

1) Eat properly to provide heating energy

2) Best hat you can afford with as most coverage as you can shoot with

3)Vests are great for layering and do not bulk up arms

4) Use a bow hook. Allows you to keep hands in warm spot and arms close in to body

5) Carry in crazy insulated pac boots if needed because you cannot walk in them

6) Cut the wind with rain gear if necessary as it will steal warmth quickly
Not a bad list, you'd have a good start to staying alive and well on early spring arctic slope caribou hunt. Frankly at -45 comfy is a relative term. Here is a few things that come to mind;

1) Eat right! You bet on this one and the colder it gets the higher your fat intake needs to be. Most of the early expeditions to the summit of Everest sustained on butter and chocolate the days surrounding there summit attempts. Native Alaskans eat Muktuk(Whale blubber) or candle fish before bed in camp so the fat keeps them warm over night. I often have a cup of hot cocoa with about a 1/4 stick of butter in it when camping in sub zero weather.

2) Best hat nothing to add on this one really, you do loose 90% of your body heat through your scalp.

3)Vests are good but layering is more vital. Start with a wicking layer to keep sweat off the body, then insulating layers, long johns, wool pants and top, fleece and Windproof shell. Biggest mistakes is see are layers that fit to snug, if you cut off circulation even slightly you'll get cold. Not enough layers and failing to finish with a truly windproof shell.

4)When sitting keep your extremities as close to your body as possible, it really dose cut heat loss.

5)You can too walk in pack boots, good foot wear is very important.

6) Stay active! Why the heck do so many of you freeze perched in a tree! Whitetail and other game is easier to stalk with snow on the ground, moving helps keep you warm and stalking is fun.

7) If your relying on cotton to do any good in temps below 0 you deserve to be cold! Cotton is the worst woods fiber in cold weather you could possibly have. When even slightly damp it wicks away heat.

8)Always have some source of heat with you in cold weather. A candle in the tent can mean the difference between life and death.

9)Know the signs of hypothermia and your personal limits. I have had 4 hunting partners go hypodermic and they all said the same thing as they started to warm up "Wow I was allot worse off than I realised"

10) Know and follow basic hunting and outdoors safety rules! Some folks really do need to repeat hunters safety or maybe rent a kid so they can repeat boy scouts.

PS A scarf is a kinda nice accessory and can add a splash of color to an otherwise drab outfit.......(a parting shot for Wimp or was it Whip?)
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
A ground blind and a fat chick ...LOL
man does that bring back memories.    :eek:  

I bought some used gray wolf wool and man is it worth every penny. I have never gotten cold in it. It was 18 degrees one morning and I had on sweat pants and top, insulated vest and my gray wolf bibs and jacket. I never zipped up the bibs and the jacket stayed open the whole time on stand. never got cold. also I keep my boots on the boot dryer the night before so they are warm and dry and get a good pair of wool socks.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
I put some carpet on my treestand since that cold steel goes right thru the boot. I use the battery operated socks since toe warmers make my feet sweat. I have a cabela's wool sweater with windstopper that is really warm along with my KOM wool. I also use carol davis sportswear longjohns and they are super warm.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
:biglaugh:      :biglaugh:    All you guys bragging about how you can stand the cold and not see the sun  and stuff,  My hats off to you. I'll have none of it ! I think I'll stay in Mississippi, but hey sometimes it doesn't get out of the 40's all day!!      :)    
The best tip to avoid the cold...... MOVE      :biglaugh:
I don't want to live anywhere that the women can't wear shorts all the way into November !
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Hogdancer, you got that right! It was 32 when I went out about 9:30 this morning, and I lasted about 2 hours with felt bootie pack boots, longjohns, pants and flannel shirt, insulated coverall, two pair of wool gloves, a neck gaiter, and a camo watch cap. Too much for walking, not enough for sitting for any longer.

Supposed to get into the 20's for the next three nights, and I'll be hunting during the middle of the day! After all, it's a bright moon right now.

In a couple of weeks I'll be going to MO for a muzzleloader hunt to collect some meat on my buddy's doe-rich property, and I plan to hunt from a blind or box stand if there's any wind. And there's always wind up there!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
Not clothing related but.....avoiding alcohol the night before can be helpful.  Alcohol can play havoc on the bodys ability to regulate temp. From an article

"The psychological aspect of using alcohol in cold weather is that people have a false sense of security and fail to protect themselves from exposure to extremely cold temperatures. The stories we hear of people surviving exposure to extremely cold temperatures when they have been drinking occur not because of the alcohol intake, but in spite of it."

I've seen what alc can do to people in cold weather (in the himalayas).  Much easier to get AMS when drinking too.  And if you've ever had acute mountain sickness you know that that is like.

Having said that....if you are gonna drink, try pepper jack.  Its equal parts jack daniels and peppermint schnapps. A friend of mine made up the name.

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
32 !!   WOW, now that's cold !!!   and for all you northern boys, no I'm not joking      :biglaugh:
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Keep your kidneys warm. All your blood flows through your kidneys in just a couple minutes.

I made a little belt with pouches to hold those disposable handwarmers about twenty years ago. The handwarmers are kept in position directly over my kidneys. The belt has gotten larger to fit my new larger shape  :D  , but it still gets the job done. Less than complete comfort, but I can sit when others can`t.

Single digit temps will have you wondering what you are doing, but a bloodtrail in the snow will answer your question.

At my house, we started the season in t-shirt temps, and we will be there when everyone else is inside.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Bonebuster, I do the same thing with a vest I made. Keep your kidneys warm and I use KOM on occasion. Bunny boots are the best, Either silk or wool underwear.
The best thing I can tell everyone with experimenting every year is the body heater suit. I have two and have taken several deer when you just can not stand to be out there.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
I was hunting (successfully) from a stand Friday in 18*, but after 2 hours my toe's were numb! The rest of me wasn't too bad except when it came time to pull my string, then I thought my shoulder and back joints were going to pop and spook the buck.

I was wearing 100% wool socks inside insulated LaCrosse pacs. If I'm moving around I have no problem, but sitting in a tree about killed me.

A friend of mine has some Bunny boots like Night Stalker suggested.  He wears them all winter while trapping and looking for lion kills. Been thinking maybe I need to get me a pair if I plan on doing anymore hunting from a treestand.

It wasn't quite cold enough Friday to wear my black woolies beneath the KOM, but I don't think I would have been over dressed by any means.

What do you guys wear for keeping your feet warm?
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
What was on yer noggin.... ? Always heard if your feet get cold put on a hat. If they get real cold put on two hats ! If was in your shoes in 18 degrees I would have worn the following and been toasty for at least 4 hrs...

1) Ullfrotte' 400 gr top and bottom
2) Cabelas heavy wool socks, the $13 socks
3) Cabelas fleece vest or Ullfrotte 400 gram vest
4) Predator 385 gram windproof fleece top and bottom
5) Ragg wool fingerless gloves and chemical hand warmers in my coat pockets
6) Lacrosse Alpha Light 7MM neoprene boots
7) Military surplus polypro balclava and Predator 385 gram fleece beannie over that.

As soon as I can I will be adding some Gray Wolf Wool pants and pullover for my older age and if it is colder than 15 degrees. I only wear the above bottom half to the tree and nothing but the Ullfrotte' top when walking in and go slow to make SURE I do not sweat ANY. Once in the tree I sit till I feel cold before putting the top outer layers on. Eat a PB & J about 8AM for stoking the inner furnace. May try the heater body suit one of the days especially since it is now available in Predator Fall Gray scheme ! JMHO

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by NoCams:
What was on yer noggin.... ? Always heard if your feet get cold put on a hat. If they get real cold put on two hats ! If was in your shoes in 18 degrees I would have worn the following and been toasty for at least 4 hrs...

1) Ullfrotte' 400 gr top and bottom
2) Cabelas heavy wool socks, the $13 socks
3) Cabelas fleece vest or Ullfrotte 400 gram vest
4) Predator 385 gram windproof fleece top and bottom
5) Ragg wool fingerless gloves and chemical hand warmers in my coat pockets
6) Lacrosse Alpha Light 7MM neoprene boots
7) Military surplus polypro balclava and Predator 385 gram fleece beannie over that.

As soon as I can I will be adding some Gray Wolf Wool pants and pullover for my older age and if it is colder than 15 degrees. I only wear the above bottom half to the tree and nothing but the Ullfrotte' top when walking in and go slow to make SURE I do not sweat ANY. Once in the tree I sit till I feel cold before putting the top outer layers on. Eat a PB & J about 8AM for stoking the inner furnace. May try the heater body suit one of the days especially since it is now available in Predator Fall Gray scheme ! JMHO

nocams
I was wearing a wool military Radar cap.

I think too many year of working in the woods have taken a toll on feet and knees, leading to poor circulation.

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
Tree Killeer----try a pair of pure silk socks under your wool socks. Helps more than a fella thinks. Sawed logs a good many years in eastern Oregon and Montana myself. Helps me.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Tree Killer if you will put those adhesive feet warmers on over you liner and then put you some smart wool socks over those your feet will stay warm. I have been doing this for years and i wear rubber boots and my feet never get cold. Give it a try and you can thank me later.  :thumbsup:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
Heh Treekiller, almost forgot, if it is that cold <20 degrees and windy too I sometimes wear my Avery brand Turtlehead on top. I hate to wear it unless I have too cause I cannot hear as well out of it as I do the other head gear mentioned above. I can hardly stand anything that resembles a hood, I feel like I have tunnel vision and cannot hear behind me. At least with the turtlehead it turns with me as I turn my head. With most hoods when you turn to the side you wind up looking into the side of your hood ! The Avery turtlehead is windproof and you can wear it in several different configurations depending on conditions. I would like to try one of Ron LaClair's Longhunter shirts and he also offers a wool cape / hood. I think his hood would allow you to hear good and it turns with your head as well. The wool construction would not make any noise as the two pieces rubbed against each other as you turn your head back and forth. The Avery Turtlehead does make some noise, not enough for a deer to hear I think, but sounds awful loud in your own ears when you are in it ! You have to stay still if you are trying to hear otherwise you get that scatchy background noise in your ears. You cannot look and listen at the same time.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips on keeping the feet warm in a treestand guys, now I have about 50 weeks to prepare for it!     :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©