3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tips on hunting in bitter cold weather  (Read 1914 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tips on hunting in bitter cold weather
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
1) Eat properly to provide heating energy

2) Best hat you can afford with as most coverage as you can shoot with

3)Vests are great for layering and do not bulk up arms

[/QB]
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
>>Adhesive feet warmers on the top and bottom of your toes<<  Right on Joe Van!   :thumbsup:

I just can't figure why no one uses the mountaineering type midlayers, either synthetic like Primaloft or Climashield or even down-fill. I'm not talking about bulky Michelin-man high loft parkas.

I use a Mont Bell UL Thermawrap jacket over my smartwool underwear and under a Browning windproof microfleece camo jacket down to the 20's. The Thermawrap is an amazing piece of cold weather gear. It's quiet, wind resistent, thin and easy to move in. It is not an outer layer. It packs down to smaller than a pop can. Any colder and I add a thin Climashield or down-fill vest. Absolutely no bulk, no noise and easy to climb into a treestand and draw a bow.

I compare treestand hunting to sleeping and the best sleeping bags are down or synthetic, not wool.  

Keeping my bow ready while keeping my hands warm is still the occasional challenge.

Rick P.: 30-50 below zero??? No thanks.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
Wool,and fleece. I made some "boot socks" out of some military surplus wool gaiters out of "Sportsmanguide" catalog. Just sew up one end. I wear uninsulated boots to my stand, then after settling in pull these wool socks over my boots. If its real cold put a handwarmer on top each foot in the sock. Problem with insulated boots is my feet sweat on the way to the stand, then you can't keep 'em warm.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Tried the 40 dollar artic shield  boot cover.  It diffently makes a difference as I left my toes get cold first, then tried them.  Took awhile but toes gradually warmed up.  Would think a heat pack from the start would be best.   But it is another thing to pack--but I didn't have to wear heavy boots.  The ones I bought are not for walking.  The true test will be after Christmas.

Lost arra, I lose to much bow string clearance with the goose down etc.   If I think about it I can pull off the shot, but not instinctively.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
hawkeye: a down sweater or a Thermawrap worn under your camo would not affect your string clearance. They are very "low profile".

I do know what you mean about a down parka though. I tried it but didn't like the puffy sleeve. With the Thermawrap under my Browning microfleece I don't even use an arm guard.

I picked up the Arctic Shield glove system (tight glove plus an over-glove) for $12 on clearance at Bass Pro and have liked it. I've been thinking about those boot covers.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
The boot covers work, but are too expensive, and bulky to carry. My homemade bootsocks are cheap,light, and just as good.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by NoCams:
I would like to try one of Ron LaClair's Longhunter shirts and he also offers a wool cape / hood. I think his hood would allow you to hear good and it turns with your head as well.  
I love mine but the hood really doesn't turn with your head.  It's a big, wide hood and you can kind of roll it back a bit if you like so your peripheral vision still works for you but don't expect it to turn with you (unless you're wearing a hat or something that sticks to it, I guess).  

Here's a closeup of the hood with a fleece balaclava thing underneath - it's kind of a monk / ninja look, but it's nice and warm...

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Thermacare heat wrap under wool this morning 29° w/10mph winds.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
Lost Arra

In the intorest of full disclousure the March caribou hunt is normally a rifle hunt for me. Materials start to behave very strangely at temps below -45, coffee turns to snow when tossed in the air, you can stand a spoon upright in motor oil, poorly tempered steel snaps like rock candy........not sure 400 miles from the nearest hospital is the best place to test limb preformance in extreeme cold. I have had the bow out for short day hunts at those temps but nothing over about 4-6 hours.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
It may have been mentioned already,I did not read all the posts,but sounds like a good idea to buy footwear 1 or 2 sizes larger to get all the extra in there.

Craig

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
If you have to do any amount of walking to your stand, oversized footwear can be real hard on the feet. Those boot covers are a better idea or just buy properly insulated boots for you conditions. Have 3" of fresh snow here right now and it's still coming down. Can't wait for the morning!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Wear light footwear to your stand and change into your coldweather socks and footwear. My feet sweat too much walking in. Since I started doing the above they stay alot warmer. Give it a try.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
wool, wool, and more wool....

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
I also use the Heater Body suit. If you do much sitting they are great, you can wear light clothes out to your stand and when you have cooled down, you slip inside and you are toasty warm.

I don't know how I got along before I bought one. Mine has the windproof liner, so I even use it when it is not brutal cold but it's windy. They also come with insulated booty things that slip over your boots that keep the inside clean and they insulate your feet better.

http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/index.htm
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
I take pride in toughing it out, sitting for long hours on stand in very cold temps. that put most guys at home. I think mental toughness is a big key, dont keep thinkin your getting cold, and have things to look forward to, like your snadwich or snacks spaced out at intervals through the day. i have actually hunted in cold temps and stood all day dark to dark( yes stood, stand did'nt have a seat) eating a good breakfast is very important, high in fat and protiens, and the foods you take with you should be the same. take enough food to keep you happy, and make sure you drink.... to may times the cold makes you feel as if your not thirsty but you need to drink.

Also if you feel you need to go to outdoor bathroom, weather to pee or a #2 you should not hold it for to long. i have noticed when i need to go and hold it i get colder and i actually warm up after i go. dont laugh try it for yourself....

next to your skin you want no cotton or materials that are cold like underarmor cold gear or heat gear. its good for walkin but not sittin you want clothing thats soft and warm like a wool blend thats higher in wool than whatever else is in it, then polypropylene or like the polartec. the next layer shou be something fleece like so when your underware wicks moisture it easily gets drawn through the fleece. cause your body heat and the nature of fleece will dry off very fast.  over that stuff i usually put heavy wool sweaters or a good material with loft to trap your heat. i also alway wear a good warm vest, it adds insulation without bulking up your arms. your outerware needs to break wind, cant stress that enough the cold goes through you or draws heat out your done! and usually bibs are warmer than pants... i keep away from jackets that have tight waist band cause they will ride up your back and not alow your under layers to lay properly and will bind or ride up. keep all your clothing loose fitting to trap dead air space and also to not feel so bound up wearing all the clothes.

keep your neck and head covered, all times. and no cotton here either its cold against the skin, wool, fleece or something similar and its better to have somekind of windbreak in it too. make sure its tucked down into your jacket. you loose most your head through your neck and heaad so its very important to keep them warm, covered! your hand shoud be kept warm same as your head. if you need to wear thin gloves use the chemical hand warmers and or have one of the muffs that the football players wear on the field.

pac boots are the best, with the wool liners or heavy thinsulate boots, that are a little large. you need to have room for good heavy wool boot socks and the chemical warmers if needed. if you use the chemical warmers i had better luck putting them on top of my toes instead of on bottom. and when you get to your stnd loosen up the laces on your boots to alow better circulation to the foot.  also i use a over the boot cover that called ($20)ThermalFeet... they cover just the toes and are very light to carry as compared to the full boot covers, and you can also put the hand warmers in those as well. they have saved me and added hours of hunting time for me by useing them when my feet start to get cold.

alow ample time when walkin to your stand and take breaks to avoid getting sweaty. pack most of your clothes in a large back pack to keep you from sweating... i aslso find myself hunting from ground more to cause it alot warmer than in a stand, make a ground blind so you can keep your movements from being seen and help block the wind. i have also found it warmer to stand than to sit all day, or just use your chair when your legs get tired, make sure your chair dont cut off circulation to back of your legs as well.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
This morning it was 25 degrees. I put on polypro sock liners, wool socks, thicker wool socks, pac boots, two layers of polypro underwear top & bottom, a jumpsuit, another insulated jumpsuit, two pair of wool gloves, a neck gaiter, a watch cap, a radar-style insulated hat, and a blaze orange vest.

Stalked my stand and got into it at 7:00, and a doe with twin yearlings came by at 7:10. Got meat, and didn't get cold at all!   :)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:
This morning it was 25 degrees. I put on polypro sock liners, wool socks, thicker wool socks, pac boots, two layers of polypro underwear top & bottom, a jumpsuit, another insulated jumpsuit, two pair of wool gloves, a neck gaiter, a watch cap, a radar-style insulated hat, and a blaze orange vest.

Stalked my stand and got into it at 7:00, and a doe with twin yearlings came by at 7:10. Got meat, and didn't get cold at all!    :)  
Good job.One question...with all that stuff on,how did you pull the string back?   :scared:
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Wear layers of loose clothing. Anything tight doesn't retain heat very well.
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Anything down to about the teens I can handle just fine. Lately is been hovering around zero with wind which makes it nearly unbearable, at one point -17. This stinks.   :help:   All I can do is layer up on clothing and try to keep the hands warm.

Hate to sound like a wuss but when it's this cold I generally stay in. If I could afford it, I'd have second home down south and hunt hogs through the winter, always wanted to try hog hunting.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
Problem child, I cheated!   :)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©