3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Button Bucks  (Read 2615 times)

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Button Bucks
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
The button buck is the best eating deer in the woods.They usually are a little bigger than there sisters so will have a little bigger tender hindquaters.  :D  
Everyone always crys shoot does but not all places are overrun with deer as the places many of you might hunt.If the land is way below the deer numbers it should/can carry shooting bucks/buttons fills the freezer and still allows an increase or at least no change in deer numbers for the next season.Every doe you kill means 3 less deer you will see next year.Just killing does is not the only way to manage your resources just because it works for some places.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
The one thing I know for sure..... we need to support each other's right to hunt as we see fit within our state's regulations(the state doesn't always have great ideas I know). If a giiven hunter is following the state guide lines and hunting legally, then I support them as a hunter. Whether a hunter uses a longbow, recurve, crossbow or gun to shoot a button buck, doe or mature buck we should be there to support them. If, as an individual, you disagree with a hunting practice then work at the state level to change it. We really can't afford to beat each other down over shooting a button buck or two. If your state has a bad policy, work at that level, but don't begrudge a hunter working within the parameters of the system.

If I disagree with your methods, I will keep it to myself so as not to support anti-hunters arguements. Always remember they will use our own words against us when they can!

Happy hunting all,
-Charlie  

* Oh yeah, our state also got hit hard with EHD, so mother nature had to figure things out for Ohio. We wound up WAY overpopulated and nature had to figure out what we couldn't.... Get the number of deer down so that the environment can support the population. Even if I love to see lots of deer, it just isn't healthy to have too many around. Don't lynch me, but I will always shoot the 1st deer that provides me with a good shot opportunity, unless it is a nursing doe(just couldn't do it).

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Couple things...

To anyone that's shooting bb's by mistake I have one word...binoculars!  The amount of bowhunters that don't use them is astonishing to me!

I think Gatekeeper and the other are right on about BB's just being the fawns of the year....that is about 99% of them.

I did see a BB that was at least a 1 1/2 old this fall. There was no doubt that this deer wasn't a fawn, way too big. I looked at him with bino's, and he ended up right under my stand...but unfortunately I didn't get a shot.....
I'd have shot him in a heartbeat as a 1 1/2yr old +, but wouldn't even have considered it if he was fawn size. Just me....

I'm also not saying that fawns can't develop some kind of antlers...but actual spikes and forks...never seen it myself....rubbed bottons,yes, but rarely...but I've personally never seen an antlered fawn in 31yrs of bowhunting....I'd have to guess that it's extremely rare.....

Shoot whatever you want to shoot....but sometimes the defensiveness in a post(or talking to people) trying to justify it with others makes me think that you are struggling with your decisions and own justification....just an observation....

One last thing....Let's please keep this civil or it will have to disappear....thanx fellas
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Well, I was going to stay outa this one.....

BUT, I have to TOTALY agree with non-typical!!!!!    :thumbsup:  

Sorry my friends,but some of us have seen with our own eyes the effects of deer herd "mis-management". Here in the Northeast we have a SEVERE coyote problem. I have to side with my good friend Shawn Leonard when I say that all of the management practices instituted by the respective state agencies fail to include the one factor that they absolutely CANNOT control. That would be "non-hunting" related mortality.(i.e. cars,coyotes,starvation,etc.) I have seen the Wild Turkey population DEVASTATED in Schoharie Co. N.Y. where my father lives by coyotes years ago. One fall,there were HUGE flocks,20-30 birds in a field,the following spring,NOTHING!!!!! You would see a bird here,a bird there. As most of you know,when the flocks break up in the spring,birds are everywhere you look. The best Turkey hunters in the county were all in agreement..... They could hardly FIND a Gobbler,let alone call one in. The birds were just not there!!!!! The coyotes have done the same with the deer. Each summer,you see does with 2 and even 3 fawns,in the fields every evening. In the early spring,(march) you only see a single adult deer or 2 in a field. Before anyone even thinks it,let me say that the N.Y.S.D.E.C. has issued practicaly NO antler-less permits for over the last 10 years. Both WMU's 4H and 4G are listed as "low" meaning that less than 1/3 of the applicants will receive a permit,and preferance credits are required. Meaning that you must have been turned down at least once,(many hunters I know have been turned down 2-3 times) before being issued a permit. There are NO 2nd permits issued,NO non-resident permits issued,and NO "crop damage" permits are issued to any landowners(farmers). This is a mountainous agricultural area in the nothern Catskill Mountains of N.Y. not a vast "big woods" area like the central Adirondacks. Due to the high elevations of some of the mountains and the temperature changes between the bottom of the mountain and the top,there are drastic changes in the weather conditions. A "couple inches" of snow down in the valley could be a foot or more at the top. People are always heard to say "I have NEVER seen any proof of starvation in N.Y."(or any other state you'd like to add) BUT I HAVE!!!!! I've seen it with my own 2 eyes!!!!! I'll tell you a story.....

Years ago,about 1998 or '99 we had a terrible ice storm here in the notheast the day before the gun season opened. Normaly,I would drive up to my Mom&Dad's the evening before to hunt opening day. While eating dinner I was whatching the weather channel and there was a wide band of "pink"(ice)extending from just north of my house up to the Mohawk River valley. Schoharie Co. lay right in the middle of that pink band. I called my Dad to check the weather,hoping that it was snowing up there. "No, it's raining" my Dad said, I'll call back in a couple hours I told him. Several more calls over the next few hours confirmed my worst fears..... It was still raining,the temperature was in the 20's,and everything was a sheet of ice. I was going to miss opening day,this would only be the 4th one I had missed in over 20 years. I woke up the next morning and the notheast was in the news!!!!! "The Worst Ice Storm In Years" trees and wires down,thousands without power..... I called my Dad that morning,They had fared pretty well,they lost power for a while and he started the generator,but it was back on. I told him I was going to head up later in the afternoon to hunt wed.(the 3rd day) When I finally got up there,a 2 hour trip took me almost 4 hours. I helped make sure everything was in good shape,then we had dinner and I hit the rack early. The next morning I got up,had a big,hot ham & eggs breakfast,pulled on my wool,and headed out. It was still overcast,but the wind had died down some. I decided to walk the field edges,looking for sign that the deer were up and feeding after the storm. As I got to the upper edge of the 3rd field something caught my eye. It was a brown "lump" on the edge of the field next to the woodlot where I usualy sit. I watched it for a while and it didn't move. Probly sound asleep I thought to myself,I slowly walked,one crunchy step at a time,waiting for it to stand up. About 40 yards away,I thought..... It must REALLY be out!!! About 20 yards away I thought,something's not right..... When I was standing next to that little deer,a button buck,it was all too clear. He was frozen solid. He had been eating in the field,for as long as he could trying to load up before the storm. Then he had lay down and curled up in a ball to wait out the storm,and had become totaly encased in ice. The truely sad thing,is that if he had gone 200 yards down over the bank into the woodlot,he would have been in the thick pines,under cover,and most likely have lived.

The old "Lead Does" are smart,they know how to survive. They sense danger,like man,coyotes,and cars,and they know how to elude them and escape. In the vast north country with severe winter kills,the old does lead their groups to the "deer yards" for the winter. As the other does mature and become "Lead Does" they in turn lead their groups to the yards as they were taught to do when they were younger. Even in populated areas with cars. With the exception of during the rut,you rarely ever see a mature doe hit by a car. It's always the little ones,Momma says "let's go" he who hesitates..... Is lost.

The young fawns are just coyote bait, If they make it through thier first winter,then they have a good chance of growing to be a mature buck or doe. But,survival instincts are a learned process. By shooting the old mature does and leaving the fawns to fend for themselves..... You are only helping to breed "stupidity" into the deer herd.

I'll get off my soap box now.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
I stated earlier in this thread that I don't like to take buttons (anymore) I have taken my share and didn't know it was a button until it was down. I didn't feal bad about it either.
 I agree with Buckeye, to each his own as long as it's legal and ethical.
 My neighbor's son killed a button buck off of my property this year with a gun, awsome is what I told him. it was his first deer. The first deer I harvested was button buck that I stalked from 300 yds across a corn feild that had just been picked with a wheelie bow. I was more excited about that at the time than anything no one can ever take that away.
 Like we say in the beagler world Run what you like your one feedin'em.
 And to the fellers who say it takes a real hunter to harvest young deer and the ones that disagree... It takes a real hunter to harvest anything with Trad gear and that's the facts of it.
Kris
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
By shooting the old mature does and leaving the fawns to fend for themselves..... You are only helping to breed "stupidity" into the deer herd.

I'll get off my soap box now.
Would you be "breeding stupidity", or creating a "survival of the fittest" situation???
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
Hmmmmmm, Point taken Curt!!!!!  ;)

(consider myself duely chastised)   :notworthy:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
Jcar,

It disappoints me you would choose arrogance over eloquence in your response
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Back when i was in college i met a guy who was a big hunter like me and his family owned over 20,000acrs in North Alabama.

The first weekend i went hunting with him i saw over 100 deer with only 4 bucks having small racks. They only wanted the older bucks to be shot which meant if you shot it you should want to Mount it, whatever.

They brought in a bioligist to help manage this 6,500 acr tract that was a working cattle farm that they were turning into nothing but a game reserve. They planted over 20,000 trees and bushes through out there land and let all the fence rows grow up.

We were told by these biologist that we needed to take out 150 does a year and if at all possible to always shoot the fawn and leave the big does for breeding purpose. Of course there were always a few young bucks killed but after 10 years of  being on this program the weights of the deer jumped dramatically and the 4-5 year old bucks started carrying some impressive head gear.

I know this is a unique situation but i was there during all this hunting with these folks and i got to see the results first hand. When i first started hunting this land it wasnt uncommon to see over 100 deer in a afternoon with none being bucks.

The last time i hunted with them was a couple of years ago and it was during the rut and the first afternoon i saw 8 rack bucks and 11 does and 2 of the bucks were HUGE but way to far for a shot.

We had crop permits those first 2 years and shot most of the deer around april and we would hang the deer in the cooler and the biologist would come in later and pick up the deer. 85 percent of the does were not being bred until the middle of Feb. and sometimes even later than that.

Since starting there management program they have a incredible rut the later part of Dec. and now 85 percent of there does are being bred around this time and the other 15 percent before the end of Jan.

I havent hunted with my friend in a while because all they are interested in is killing trophy bucks so i realize that its different for some people and they have the land and the money to do a lot of special things for there property.

I just took up trad this year and i would be just as proud killing a doe with my recurve as i would killing one of there big bucks with a rifle. I killed a my first this fall a nice 8 and it is by far the highlight of my hunting career.

One thing i did learn from all this is if you live in a area that has a LOT of deer and you want to have some good bucks on your property you should pass on those young bucks and take out the smaller deer so the mature does can breed with the mature bucks.

Im lucky that i hunt a area with a very healthy population of deer and some pretty good bucks. But if i lived in a area with very few deer and not so many bucks and i saw a young buck i wouldnt feel bad at all about killing that deer. Its so different for so many people its impossible to know who is right and who is wrong.

As long as you are hunting in a ethical way and you feel confident in your shooting skills i say do what makes you happy and dont worry what other people think about the size deer you choose to kill.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:
 If a giiven hunter is following the state guide lines and hunting legally, then I support them as a hunter. Whether a hunter uses a longbow, recurve, crossbow or gun to shoot a button buck, doe or mature buck we should be there to support them.
If I disagree with your methods, I will keep it to myself so as not to support anti-hunters arguements. Always remember they will use our own words against us when they can!
Amen brother

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
When I started this post I was just curious as to the age of a normal button buck and the proper way to manage them in general.  I appreciate everyones input, even the guys who elected not to vote.  I can see that everyone does agree on the general age and that they are not geneticly deficient and everyone does agree on the proper way to manage them.  As far as if anyone wants to shoot them or not that's up to the hunter, that was not what this was ever about.  I do appreciate and want to thank you all for your input and encourage everyone to keep it coming, it's interesting to hear eveyone's oppinion.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
I think that in some cases when a button is shot its mistaken for a doe. Not all hunt from tree stands where you may have time to look them over real good. I know I hunt from the ground 85% of the time and will take the first shot I get at a deer, maybe a buck ,maybe a doe or a lil one male or female.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
I try to get a good look at their head, if its "flat" or "square" looking between/behind the ears its usually a young buck, "buttons" or not. If its really "round" its a doe. With a little practice you get to be able to tell pretty Quick.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brian Krebs:
Gatekeeper
 You said:

[QB] Button bucks are the current year’s fawns. They’re not late fawns and they’re not genetically inferior they’re simply 6 months old.

I agree that they are this years fawns; but I am not so sure about them not being late fawns. Surely if bucks are breeding into March; the fawns will be born later.. ?

Then too; I have not seen fork horn deer; or younger deer hold onto their antlers as long as really big bucks. Antler score aside; if a big deer makes it through the gauntlet of fall and winter- wouldn't his 'genetic genius' be more valuable to a wild herd ?

Where I have hunted; buck fawns can be seen with spikes; and small forks ... I was thinking these were early bred and born bucks....

I am willing to be wrong; but ... am I ?
Brian Krebs,

If it is early to mid October and a fawn still shows signs of their spots then yes, I would call that fawn (buck or doe) a late born fawn. By late October on, fawns are usually brown and determining whether they are late born or not is hard to tell unless they are standing next to another fawn so that their body size can be compared. I was only trying to say that all bucks are button bucks during their first fall. They can’t help it. Its the way they are made. All the deer you see running around with antlers have been growing those antlers since early spring. The button bucks were born in May, June or July and the nutrition that they have been taking in is going to building body structure for survival.

I’m not aware of deer continuing to breed into March, at least not around here. I think the latest breeding will take place in January which produces a July born fawn. A lot of the strung out breeding is due to not enough bucks to handle the job of breeding. Which also affects the fawn mortality rate by predators. If there is a balanced herd, then all or most of the does will be bred at the same time and the fawns will be born at the same time. This mass quantity of fawn births would allow the majority of the fawns to survive while a few will parish from predation. If the herd is unbalanced then there will be a first rut, second rut and sometimes a third rut. This results in fawns being born between May and July and gives predators a continues supply of fawns throughout mid spring and early summer time frame.

Young deer will hold their antlers as long as mature deer there is no difference. Some will drop their antlers in February and some won’t drop until late March but usually its mid February that the antlers are dropped. Yes, a good buck that is allowed to breed is valuable to the herd’s genetics.

Spikes, Forks and some six points are usually 1.5 year old deer. Again, a lot of the nutrition that they consume is being used to build a strong deer. They are still building their muscle structure and strong bones and for this reason their antlers size remains small. That’s why a lot of people do supplemental food plots with high protein. It helps build a healthy deer and helps accelerate antler growth. For a mature buck a lot of that protein goes to antler growth. A hunter won’t see a buck’s true antler potential until the buck’s 4th or 5th year. This is true with or without supplemental feeding because they simply need time to mature.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
To clearly state my position:

1. I am 100% in favor of a hunter taking ANY deer they choose in accordance with local game laws.

2. I am AGAINST any sort of "punishment" for shooting a button buck, or any deer for that matter, by a young hunter or 1st time hunter. Hunting should be FUN for all.

3. I have a difficult time with ANY hunter rationalizing why they took, or didn't take, a certain deer because they were "managing" the deer herd. If someone wants to shoot anything that walks by that is fine with me.....just please don't try to justify it by saying "I was managing" the herd.

4. Regardless if you are hunting on the ground or in a tree as bowhunters we are close enough to easily tell a button buck from a fawn. We aren't splitting the atom here guys. QDMA has a great poster which shows very clearly the distinct difference between a young of the year doe and buck. The main difference between the two is the shape of the head. Button buck head is flatter across the top where his antlers will/may grow.

Being here on the East Coast and having had the opportunity to hunt in other states I am still amazed and some of the things I hear from other hunters. "Deer numbers are down because of....."

*State is in "bed" with insurance companys to kill all the deer
*Insurance company introduced coyotes and they are killing the fawns
*Cicadas are eating all the acorns and the deer have nothing to eat

The list goes on and on. My 60 something year old uncles still believe it is wrong to kill any doe at all. Lots of hunters still believe this. I bring it up to say that there is lots of "myths" and "mis-information" out there in regards to deer management.

Kill what you want but please don't tell me that by choosing to kill / not kill a specific deer that somehow makes you a "manager" or a "real hunter." I consider myself a hunter plain and simple. Not a real hunter and not a manager.

I make choices in regards to the way I hunt (trad gear only) and the type of deer I will attempt to harvest (older does and older bucks only) but in no way would I attempt to foist my views on others. My views and my choices are my own.

And I believe others choices and views are their own too....that is what makes America great.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Gatekeeper:

I sure respect your thinking.

One thing I keep forgetting about is the different places we live in. Here where I live; we have both whitetails and muledeer.
 More; we have whitetail/muledeer crosses.
I saw with whitetail does; lots of spotted fawns right past the end of our bowhunt ( which is Aug30-Sept31). I didn't see that with the muledeer.
 I do know that muledeer and whitetails act totally different in their breeding behavior.
 Whitetails chase does - and the chase can be a long time- before the doe will 'stand' for the buck.
 Muledeer does breed with no flowers and diamonds- they just don't run off like the whitetails.
 While our ruts for both deer are in November; the mulies come into heat one month before; but because the does and bucks live apart; the does don't often breed at that time.
 Unless a whitetail catches their scent. The muledeer does don't run off - and the whitetail buck is soon laying back and smoking a cigarette.

So - some of what I interject into this conversation has been based on what I see- and that includes hybrids.

Whitetails have a 200 day gestation period; where muledeer have a 190-200 day gestation period.

If a doe does not breed she will come into heat again in 28 days. If a doe comes in heat in November and misses breeding; and then again in December and Breeds - that offspring will be born in the second to the last day of July; so it will be almost half the age of other fawns in our bow season.

If that muledeer doe stands for a whitetail in the 'false heat' the early very short heat that happens in October - then your talking a fawn that is 3 times older than the ones conceived in December; or even January.

And - there was that whitetail doe that I was there to field dress; that had a fawn in it- in the middle of September !

I have seen muledeer with forks that was the size of the fawns with it; but with all that dang math - I am not sure how old they may have been....

Jcar- I so agree with #2 on your list ( not that I disagree with the others)
 My oldest son shot a deer when it was minus 30 out and I had to put my hand in the middle of his back and pulled back his elbow with my other hand- so he could draw back his bow. He made a heart shot at 15 yards; and was sooo proud. It was a button buck; and when the land owner saw it - he said " SO- shot yourself a DEER PUPPY did ya?". That hurt my son so bad he has never wanted to deer hunt again.
 Thus I could not agree more with you!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
jcar,
Your candid thoughts are appreciated. However, it is a good thing that every deer harvester doesn't think like you do.

There are many documented quality deer herd success stories across the country.  I am personally involved with many examples in the south as a wildlife consultant, not a hunter.

Not that it should matter to you but without exception, not one of the success stories can be attributed to hunters who exhibit your ideas or positions.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Ritchie. . . what equals success ?  Big bucks ?  Lots of deer ?

Every one of us are from different areas of the country and have different ways to hunt, places to hunt and goals we hunt towards.  What takes place in the south MIGHT apply to the upper north, or mountains or west coast, or Canada. . .  but not always.  

We have things that you might never dream of. .  like snow, and cold. .  I mean, real cold and lots of snow that comes in late November and early December and stays on the ground till spring.  

Fawns are the most likely to not survive the winter.  By eliminating some amount of fawns,  which will likely die anyway in a strong winter, it can and will allow other, stronger (mature) deer to live.

As above, we all have different desires.  What is success to one might be totally different to another.
ChuckC

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chuck C
Fawns are the most likely to not survive the winter. By eliminated some amount of fawns, which will likely die anyway in a strong winter, it can and will allow other, stronger (mature) deer to live.

Is this why I read that every so often it is good to shoot button bucks and small does?

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
I got a button last Dec. 08.  I was working at a gas station and a hunter in a truck rode up......

"you like deer meat?"  I responded, "yes"  He asked "you want some deer meat?"  

Well, since my hunting has been down in the last few years, (this year a big fat Zero) I said okay.

He told me that he hunts a club and that he is requ. to shoot 6pts or more.  When I looked at the deer, I mentioned that he was missing 6pts.LOL.  He said that is why he was giving it away as he did not want the fine.

Don't know if I'd have shot a button before, but I can tell you one thing.  It sure was a good tasting deer.  Better than all but one buck I shot years ago and the old does that have fallen for me.

Would I shoot a button buck?  As long as it does not have spots and it's legal, it's fair game.

Horns look nice on a wall, but then I've slowly taken them down and made tools out of them.

But then we live in an age where Bass Pro and many tv shows popularize the headgear more than the animal.  You have special fields with special feed that enhance antler growth.

You grow your deer just like corn, then it's harvest time.
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©