3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Young Convert To Traditonal Bows  (Read 370 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Another Young Convert To Traditonal Bows
« on: December 05, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
I've known Jeff since he was about 8 and he's now in his mid-twenty's. When he was very young I took him a box of reading materials having to do with traditional and primitive archery.
We lost contact with each other from high school thru college then last year out of the blue he called wanted some help with his compound bow. I helped get him up and shooting again but while he was here I brought out some of my stick bows and let him shoot a few of them.
Flash forward to this early Sept. and once again Jeff called but this time he wanted to visit about those simple bows. It seemed that his compound was giving him problems that was going to require a trip to the archery shop and big bucks. In his words, "I'm sick of this and I would like to try using something simple like what you shoot."
 I loaned him a nice but old JC Penny long recurve made by Wing archery. As it turns out Jeff had a lot of natural ability and was hitting what he was looking at from about 12-15 yds pretty consistently before he left that day.
I asked him to keep in touch.
 A few weeks ago he called and came over. He wanted me to sell him a bow. I told him he needed to shoot several different bows and styles of bows until he knew what it was he felt most comfortable shooting.
 I loaned him a variety of bows to shoot at home. The last one was a Bear Take-down Hunter that after about a week looked like a good marriage. I mean I was totally impressed with how he shot the bow.
A few days ago he came over and was relating his experiences from the past week. One was a narrow miss of a doe at about 7 yds., another was a close encounter with a buck but no shot opportunity. He's now hooked on traditional bows and hunting the hard way(from the ground).

I wish I could accurately describe the emotional excitement I could read in his voice and the telling of his experiences.

After all that I couldn't turn him down when he asked me if I would sell him the bow. I did! I made sure it was well within his means to afford.

I am very proud of Jeff and I am the one who is blessed by knowing him. I think he just may show up on here in the not too distant future.
If he does I know what kind of welcome he'll receive.... so thanks in advance!
God bless, Mudd
PS: His best buddy is still shooting wheels but Jeff is starting to spoil him too!!
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Young Convert To Traditonal Bows
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Mudd,
Looking forward to meeting Jeff.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
good deal mudd!
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Outstanding. Sounds like you got a new hunting/shooting pard!
samuel koger

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
Mudd you be the man. Isn’t it fun to get a new be started. I’ve got a few started and a year later they are out shooting me and I love it. We need to get all the old men together for a weekend late this year for a BS session.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
I'm telling you these young men I'm working with are catching fire and already giving me a run for my money when it comes to hitting what they call out as their target before their shots.
It's a hoot!!
I'm open for about anything. I bet Ole Butch would be too. Starting the 10th I have to lay my bow down for 6 weeks. Dr.'s orders but it's all good. I'm looking forward to 2010 already. I don't just mean deer season either, but when I can look forward to some long woods walks with my stick and string shooting at nothing and everything. You know the drill...lol
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Man i wish i would have been introduced to trad archery a LONG time ago. Good for you i know that puts a big smile on your face.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
Nice job.  It was super generous of you to sell the bow, but you will be paid back a thousand fold in sharing your your friends excitement and sharing hunts together.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
Mudd, your a Trad. archery pimp now.You should get a purple fedora...LOL keep up the good work
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  Thanks for sharing Mudd.Awesome!
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©